IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

6 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Recently, I have been trying various things with HQPlayer Embedded and was keeping track of how I was installing the OS and HQPlayer Embedded.  Since, I was keeping track of everything, I converted the steps into a installation guide for HQPlayer Embedded under Debian/Ubuntu.  The guide also has configuration information on how to configure JRiver as controller.  The goal of the guide is to keep it updated and to start including common errors and resolution.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2cLWlF9cpc9MkQxTTVDdHJTSEk/view?usp=sharing

If you would like a complete turn key solution the AudioLinux distribution is what you want to get.

Excellent stuff!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys - I'm adding convolution filters created for me by Mitch in Audiolense. I have two questions.

1. Do I need separate left and right filters or can I just add the same one to both channels?

2. Does HQP only use a single filter sample rate or will it automatically switch filters baed on the incoming rate? I have a filter for each sample rate up through 352.8 and Roon and JRiver both switch filters based on the rate of the music.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

Filters need to be mono WAV, so from Audiolense you'd typically split stereo WAV into two mono WAVs. For example Audacity can be used for the purpose. If filter for both channels is the same, you can use same filter for both. If the filters are separate, then you'd need left and right filters as separate mono WAV.

HQPlayer will automatically scale single filter to a needed rate and format. So of those filters you've got, I'd recommend using 352.8k one, as then you certainly don't need the HF Expand option in HQPlayer.

Without such, you would certainly end up with some challenges regarding DSD material to DSD output. Not sure what Roon and JRiver do in such cases.

Ok great. Will do this now. 

P.S. Just had a blast of noise come out of my speakers and I’m not doing anything other than the HQP defaults :~(

Hi Guys - Is there a way to stop the HQP volume control from going from the minimum to the maximum level ( 0 dBFS) via the shortcut, bottom route? When the volume is spun to the left and the user keeps going, it will jump over to the maximum level without going around the top. This is very dangerous for people using HQP's volume control exclusively. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 6.54.27 PM.png

Just now, Miska said:

No, this is feature of the widget in the toolkit. But always set the volume range in HQPlayer settings to a safe value.

These days you'd anyway likely control volume from a client, either the one shipped with HQPlayer, or some other client.

Ah yes, you're right. I'm using the round widget because I have an RDP session open to that PC, but I also have Roon open and that controls it as well. 

Thanks Jussi. Logic prevails. 

Is there any way to access HQP Desktop’s settings via web interface? I know HQP embedded enables this, but I’m using Windows desktop. 

use case - Listening to my headphones in bed via mRendu. Want to switch NAA outputs from my main system to the mRendu but only have access to my phone. I don’t want to run an rdp session on my phone either. 

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Which way buggy? Please let me know about any bugs you encounter.

I must use better language on this one. Buggy probably isn’t correct. The first couple times I used HPQe I installed it on an Ubuntu 18.04 machine and couldn’t get anything in the instructions to work “correctly.” I got music but it just seemed like I was lucky. 

This morning I downloaded the image to a usb drive and booted to it this way, and everything works absolutely perfect. 

Sorry for what was likely my own issues. 

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can turn on/off convolution engine on the fly remotely without touching the configuration.

Another alternative is to use the the pipeline matrix for the purpose, it is somewhat more flexible and you can more easily turn it on/off. Just not switchable on the fly. Note that the two are practically mutually exclusive, so choose either one.

Even though the convolution files are no longer shown on the convolution page (HQPe), they will still be enabled when I enable convolution?

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

P.S. When someone wonders why the page layout is strange with such boxes, the interface is intended to scale from desktop browsers to tablets and mobile phones. CSS has those floating elements that the browser can rearrange to make them fit on a screen of various sizes... On a portrait mobile phone screen, the boxes are usually laid out as a vertical list.

works:

D1C3C8E5-7F33-46E1-A424-C3BAD2E98EDC.png

Doesn’t work (goes off the page):

88E595FD-66F6-407A-AD11-1E2577562B92.png

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

For the HQPlayer OS, which is like firmware, you just download and flash the new firmware. Since it is extremely slimmed down system, there's no package manager on anything like that. You can use backup/restore functionality to backup library and settings and then send them back along with license key after the update.

When you run HQPlayer Embedded on a regular distro that has package manager (Ubuntu for example), you just download and install the new package version. Settings stay as they are. If default setting file has changed, Ubuntu/Debian package manager will ask if you want to keep your modified one or overwrite with a new default. On Fedora (rpm package manager), this is handled through additional .rpmsave and .rpmnew files located in the same place.

I don't want to "push" updates, to avoid everybody updating at the same time. For various reasons.

P.S. Current releases don't backup/restore convolution filter files. Upcoming release fixes this by creating a zip package for backup/restore.

Thanks Jussi.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Miska said:

If you make this picture generic and sonicTransporter is what ever HQPlayer server and Rendu is what ever NAA, running any of the three OS, this kind of configuration is asking for trouble. I just say I'm sick and tired answering "HQPlayer cannot see my NAA" kind of questions that are precisely due to this kind of setup. If the two network connections in the server are bridged, the server just becomes another software-based "Ethernet Switch".

Switches form a star-like structure on the network. They are core piece of equipment there. All networking hardware should connect to the switches, and if you have more than one room involved, you would likely have a switch in each room and one central switch where the room connections join. HQPlayer server and NAA connect to the network through a switch. If you have a NAA, HQPlayer server would likely be located somewhere else, for example a loud powerful rack mounted server in the basement.

When a switch is a managed one that can be configured, remember to check that 802.3x Ethernet Flow Control is enabled for all ports, otherwise especially devices like Rendu that cannot handle full gigabit speeds will have severe packet buffer overflows (can lead to stuttering). Even regular servers use this flow control a lot to avoid unnecessary packet losses.

You can also enable 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet / Green Ethernet that has couple of useful features. It can measure cable lengths and only use the needed amount of transmit power on the link, instead of blindly blasting at full power needed for the longest possible cable length. And it can make inactive links idle and power down unused ports.

Companies like HPE (Hewlett-Packard Enterprise) and Cisco for example make good switches. Less expensive smart switches from HPE

have relatively few simpler configuration options, while Cisco switches have a lot of configuration options. So that could be used as one decision factor when deciding between the two brands, depending on how much complexity one wants.

Well said Jussi. 

I believe the whole direct connection thing, from PC to audio component bypassing a switch, started when some people reported it sounded better than going through a switch. Doesn't make sense to me, but I believe this is the origin of the configuration. 

I'll put a vote in for Ubiquiti UniFi network hardware. I have a full UniFi network and love it. 

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is not actually non-switched, it still goes through your software switch layer, doing switching between the bridge adapter and the physical one, just as it does for broadcast, DNS packets and such between the two physical network interfaces.

This could actually increase CPU utilization and noise within the endpoint versus offloading those tasks to a purpose built switch. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Or would you recommend generating separate sample rate FIR filters, for everything from PCM44.1 to DXD?

I believe you can only use a single sample rate filter in HQP / HQPe. I had to use one at 352.8 kHz from Audiolense. 

You’ll have to split the filter into left and right channels as well. 

3 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Hi @The Computer Audiophile  are you upsampling to DSD256 with new EC modulators?

I'm curious to know if convolution (up to PCM353kHz) causes any additional CPU stress, or not much?

Can you share the specs of your machine.

Can't do the new EC modulators with my current machine, but I have something special for everyone coming fairly soon.