IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Bare minimum Ubuntu Server with lowlatency kernel (or my custom one)

Hi @Miska

I'm just going through these instructions to install HQP Embedded:

https://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html

One thing that confuses me is on the main Signalyst home page I see "https://www.signalyst.com/bins/hqplayer_3.21.0-75_amd64.deb?" but I don't see where that's used in the above instructions.

If I'm just planning to run Ubuntu server for HQP Embedded, I don't need to worry about HQP Desktop for Ubuntu right?

And does HQP Embedded running on Ubuntu server (headless) still make use of CUDA, if we have CUDA compatible Nvidia card? 

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, lmitche said:

The AMD 64 bit version will work fine on an Intel processor.  Intel used AMDs 64 bit scheme when adopting 64 bits, rightly called AMD64 as AMD invented it.

Nice, thanks!

Another question for you or @Miska

The instructions I linked above say: "Install necessary packages, dependencies for these packages are available in the OS package repository. Download and install libgmpris package. And then the hqplayerd package."

Are there any other packages other than libgpris and hqplayerd needed to be installed on Ubuntu Server 16.04, for HQP Embedded? 

Cheers

@Miska one more question (getting close to the end now):

I'm very new to doing stuff manually in Linux (command line) but I did some Googling.

Is this how you download and install libgmpris package (via MacOS Terminal):

wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/xenial/libgmpris_2.2.1-4_amd64.deb

cd Downloads

sudo dpkg -i libgmpris_2.2.1-4_amd64.deb

And to download and install hqplayerd package:

wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/xenial/hqplayerd_4.1.1-9_amd64.deb

cd Downloads

sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.1.1-9_amd64.deb

As per earlier question, are there any other packages required, for a good HQP Embedded experience (headless).

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Miska said:

For rest of the dependencies, when you install those packages, the packaging system will complain about missing dependencies.

Thanks for all the info above. What does this mean "for the rest of the dependencies"?

Is there a list of dependencies I need to get, for HQP Embedded to work at it's best.

So far I'm aware of this (from your install guide):

1. libgmpris

2. hqplayerd

3. linux-image-4.14.26-jl+_6_amd64.deb

Or are dependencies different to packages? If so, is there a list somewhere that I can refer to :$

Or does "sudo apt install -f" sort that out fully?

5 hours ago, shadowlight said:

@simonklp @Em2016

You have the option of just using the image provided by Miska as your base as long as you do not need CUDA support.

Images are located - https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images/

This is the low latency image right? And A pre-requisite is you still need to have Ubuntu 16.04 installed?

I was going to use this but didn’t see anything about CUDA not being supported. I do have a CUDA compatible GPU.

@Miska can you clarify the steps for a CUDA supported install of HQP Embedded?

Cheers !

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is with realtime kernel, even more responsive than lowlatency one.

No, it's bootable image with full OS and everything.

CUDA is currently only supported on Ubuntu, for various reasons.

Thanks! 

I may try the full bootable image first and see if I can get away without CUDA (i7-7700HQ).

Just to clarify @Miska

linux-image-4.14.26-jl+_6_amd64.deb : is your custom low latency kernel, if I have Ubuntu Server 16.04 already installed and allows for CUDA support. Do I still need to install libgmpris etc, or does this custom kernel install everything needed on Ubuntu Server?

and

hqplayer-embedded-4.1.0-x64.7z : is the full bootable OS, no CUDA support, no need to have Ubuntu Server 16.04 pre-installed

?

I even tried NAA for Mac and I get the attached. It seems to see the DAC and then disconnects

1512726921_ScreenShot2018-05-24at5_48_43pm.thumb.png.f8d60c422d8c7aa4e22b7ddf9f4d6404.png

This is the HQPe version I am running:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images/hqplayer-embedded-4.1.0-x64.7z

This is the Mac NAA version I am running:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/mac/networkaudiod-352.zip

How do I access /tmp/hqplayerd.log so that I can email it to you?

When I go here, it keeps taking me back to the config page: http://192.168.1.46/log

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Miska said:

In the latest HQPE version you have "Log" link at the bottom of the page you can use to access the log... :)

But as I mentioned above,

"When I go here, it keeps taking me back to the config page: 

http://192.168.1.46/log"

32 minutes ago, Miska said:

I think the BIOS is buggy (incorrect ACPI tables - quite usual) because bunch of drivers crap out at boot...

But finally it seems to come up with network. You can login with "root" and check with "aplay -l" if it sees any audio devices. And then you can check how NAA is doing with "systemctl status networkaudiod".

Which BIOS could be buggy? The Latte Panda or Mac Air running NAA?

Or the HQPe server?

Ok putting the LattePanda aside for the moment.

Just using HQPe with NAA on Mac, the only way I get to see the list of 'Network Audio backend' devices is first switching backend to ALSA. Then I'm able to see the network audio backend devices and select. Then everything works.

Is this a bug or how it's supposed to be?

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

Ahh, I need to make exception for that page that it lets you load it even when the player is not operational (redirects you to the config page).

Ok thanks. I was having problems with HQPe but it's all good now, so I don't need to worry about HQPe logs. HQPe with Mac NAA is working fine now.

Now I need to focus why LattePanda NAA is playing up.

After 5 minutes or so when I look at my router's connected devices, 'naa' does show up. But HQPe doesn't see the NAA and the DAC it's connected to.

Hi @Miska

See the attached 1x and Nx oversampling settings.

Is there any advantage having the Nx step as the non-2s variant? Even if not an audible advantage, but a technical/theoretical advantage? CPU difference?

Or is it the 1x 2s variant oversampling step that 'overrides' the Nx step with these settings I've used? In which case the 2s variant for both 1x and Nx would be the same as the attached settings?

Cheers!

1922141023_ScreenShot2018-05-25at10_50_53pm.thumb.png.d42a161b9640bba3c73cb24cd54fc0c9.png

7 hours ago, Miska said:

From practical perspective, the point is that you can choose sharper roll-off filters for "1x" rates and slower roll-off filters for hires. Or you can select same for both and then things work as before...

Thanks Jussi. I'm relatively new to HQP (weeks, not years) but does the 'short' in your filter names refer to faster roll-off, compared with non-short in the filter name?

So if I like poly-sinc-short-mp-2s in general (mostly RBCD music), then for "1x" rates I could keep it as is, and for "Nx" rates would a good logical match be the same non-short filter, i.e. poly-sinc-mp-2s?

So  1x = poly-sinc-short-mp-2s for RBCD, matched with Nx = poly-sinc-mp-2s for hi-res ?

Of course it all comes down to what my ears like but is that sensible reasoning and a sensible way to use this feature?

Or have I got my understand of "short" in the filter name completely wrong ?

Many thanks

Ok, read the manual (always a good reference) and found this definition:

poly-sinc-short: Otherwise similar as poly-sinc, but shorter pre- and post-echos at the expense of filtering quality (not as sharp roll-off and reduced stop-band attenuation).

So short refers to pre and post ringing length, no faster roll-offs.

Hmmm so Jussi, if I like poly-sinc-short-mp-2s (mostly listen to RBCD), then if I used this for "1x" what would be a good logical/sensible match for "Nx" for hires music ?

Just to help with understanding this 1x and Nx feature of HQPe a bit more.

Many thanks again.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Short means "short impulse response" from time domain point of view and from frequency domain point of view meaning slow roll-off.

There's no right or wrong as such in these, people are sensitive to different aspects and also type of music one listens to has it's own impact (this is referred to in the manual). So anything I say or suggest in the manual is just what I'd see from objective point of view. I try to put less emphasis on my personal subjective preferences, because I realize that those are just mine.

So for 1x RBCD one could for example select "poly-sinc-short-mp-2s" and for for Nx one could select "poly-sinc-mqa-mp". This is especially suitable selection if one listens primarily rock/pop/jazz/blues Tidal through Roon (MQA decoding). But also for lot of lot of local RBCD and hi-res content too. While someone else listening to a lot of classical music from local storage could instead select for example 1x as "poly-sinc-xtr-2s" and Nx as "poly-sinc-short-2s".

Plain "poly-sinc" is something that sits somewhere between "poly-sinc-xtr" and "poly-sinc-short", but a bit closer to the latter. While "poly-sinc-mqa" is significantly shorter and less attenuation than "poly-sinc-short", so "mqa" is like opposite of "xtr".

Thanks Jussi!

So I can see a pattern above (2 data points ? ) of using a shorter pre-ringing length filter, for Nx / Hi-Res content, compared with RBCD.

What's the objective technical advantage for using shorter pre-ringing length filter (and shorter attenuation you mention) for Hi-Res content?

3 hours ago, Miska said:

It is mostly that you have more bandwidth available to trade for filter transition band on hires than you have for 1x rates. So you can "afford" using shorter filters.

For example poly-sinc and poly-sinc-short have same stop-band attenuation, but "short" has wider transition band.

Thanks!

On 5/24/2018 at 7:46 PM, Miska said:

Device lists are retrieved always. However, the currently used device is reserved and always listed as just "Current".

Latest HQPe update is much better and more consistent with the sonicT i7 HQPe, where 'current' also includes description of the device.

Thanks !

On 5/28/2018 at 4:53 AM, Miska said:

It is mostly that you have more bandwidth available to trade for filter transition band on hires than you have for 1x rates. So you can "afford" using shorter filters.

Hi Jussi, when you say here "so you can 'afford' using shorter filters", by 'afford' do you mean lower CPU loading?

15 hours ago, Miska said:

No, I mean that you have bandwidth to spare, above 20 kHz for the slower transition band. IOW, you have "luxury" of having extra bandwidth that you don't have with RedBook content. Shorter filters are lighter on CPU, so you'll get lower CPU load too.

However, trading that entire extra bandwidth for the sake of transition band like MQA does is still not something I'd go for. Because that sort of takes the "hires" out of "hires". So my "mqa" filters are still not like MQA's filters.

Thanks Jussi!

How do I play Audirvana > HQP Embedded > NAA

In Audirvana, I can see UPnP HQP Embedded (see attached) but each time I select it, it goes to another audio device - i.e. it doesn't want to select and lock on to HQP Embedded.

Is there any other settings that need to be enabled to get this to work, that I may have missed?

Many thanks

1026841333_ScreenShot2018-06-01at11_53_23pm.thumb.png.5f63dee0659124f908f40aac0555577c.png

Also, I have Bubble UPnP (Tidal) on Android playing to HQP Embedded - but what does the volume in Bubble UPnP app mean in relation to HQP volume? What is the equivalent to HQP = -3dB?