IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Hi, I would like to update hqplayer  embedded in the sonictransporter i5 but cant find any 'update' buttons. (Total noob here). Do I have to delete and re download the latest version? Will that affect the hqplayer license in any way? ( change the " fingerprint" for example)

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the phantoms and they do 192 over toslink IF you connect the speaker's toslink input directly to the toslink output of the source/ rederer. The dialog cant handle more than 24/96. I tried it by connecting one of the phantoms to the optical output of my windows server running roon and hqplayer. No problem in sending out poly sinc ext 2 @ 192 to the phantoms. Blew me away. Ofcourse upnp would make things far easier but for a workaround I have the raspberry pi with hifiberry+ hat on order. The Hat has an optical output so let's see how that goes as an naa end(mid)point.

• 2 months later...

Hi Miska, is it possible to 'tell' hqplayer to treat 24 /44 and 24/48 files as nx and not 1x? I get stuttering with these bit rates but not with 16/44 and 16/48 files when using asdm7ec @dsd256 and closed form filter (1x). I'd like to use closed form in the 1x drop down menu and a less intensive filter for the nx menu. The problems occur with roon radio mixing different source sampling rates.

Maybe something to keep in mind for future builds? The ability to choose different filters for different formats and source sampling rates would be great.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 5:03 PM, Miska said:

I find it unlikely that local storage would have much issues, unless Roon is busy scanning it. External USB discs sometimes can suffer from such, but unlikely SATA ones. You could try playing the content directly with HQPlayer without Roon and see if it makes any difference.

The only notable difference here is that 24-bit files are larger than 16-bit ones and thus increase storage traffic. I don't have other explanation...

Is Roon on the same computer or different one? IOW, is the content being sent over network or just through "localhost"? If it goes over network, then network issues are also a possibility (more data to send in this case).

Hi Miska, I downloaded the latest 2nd September release of hqplayer and this seems to run any bitrate to dsd256 using asdm7ec and closed form without a hitch. However 512 remains out of reach with dropouts at any EC filter. The same holds true for playback directly via hqplayer's built in player.  I even tried playing a few files from the c drive (Msata) with similar results.

Yes Roon is on the same machine and is not networked, as are the hdd's. All local so to speak.

Since things improved @256 with the latest build can we attribute the problem to hqplayer or is there something else afoot? Am I right to assume that my intel i7 gen 8 8700 processor is upto the task of doing dsd512@ EC filters or would I need cuda offloading?

Thanks

13 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't think you can currently buy any hardware that would be able to run EC modulators at DSD512 speed.

Since it is double the amount of computational effort compared to DSD256, it may take couple of years before that becomes possibility. It specifically requires individual cores to become 2x faster than current ones. Adding more cores won't help.

We have here at least one shop selling delidded and tested i9-9900K's that have been verified at 5.2 GHz clocks. Maybe I'll get one of those and see if it could do close to DSD512 with DSD5EC or ASDM5EC. Another approach would be to make a custom DAC that would have sample clocks  somewhere between current typical DSD256 and DSD512 clocks. For example 40 MHz.

Look forward to your findings with the i9!