IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

2 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Not quite. Connect either one of the fiberoptic or copper ethernet connection to a switch which has an SFP port and also connect the opticalRendu to the same switch using the SFP port on the switch and the SFP port on the opticalRendu. 

That is not how Small Green Computer is advertising this. They are saying i9 can be connected directly to the oRendu. 

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-roon-server-hqplayer?variant=31106712502341

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, Miska said:

That is OS feature rather than application feature. I think I have it enabled for HQPlayer OS.

Whether it works in a particular network and browser depends on the network. For example it doesn't work on my network on purpose. And it may not work if you have DoH (DNS over HTTPS) enabled on browser.

But HQPlayer Client (and I think HQPDcontrol too) can tell you the IP.

Myself I'm not horribly fond of that feature, because it assumes you have only single such device on the network.

Or, just look at the router for the IP.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Windows gave me trouble running NAA. I switched to running @Miska's NAA linux image on the same hardware, just booting with USB stick, and it works perfect. 

Great, I would have been surprised if Windows worked. I have never been able to get 1.536 to work on any of my Sonore NAA endpoints. Jussi says that it is a hardware issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, rossco said:

Thanks @Miska.

On reflection I think my knowledge of firewalls is fairly limited. In the past I have ensured I have a software firewall running when using windows (Kaspersky was the last one) and once that was done I forgot about it. On moving to Linux my lack of knowledge has been a hinderance. Anyway, on investigating, I do believe I have a firewall on my Netgear Orbi router and it is automatic although I am not sure its 'stateful' status. I am also unsure whether its safe to turn off the software firewall on my linux machine, but perhaps its fine for short periods when I want to use HQ Player, given that my network is 'protected' by the firewall in the Orbi.

On the more medium term front, I have on my list of things to do, to invest in a new router running something like OPNsense. Which I think might be more like your set-up Miska. I believe its stateful. I assume I can then switch off the software firewall fairly safely, again, perhaps for short periods.

My ASUS RT AX 88U router has a very good firewall and runs Trend Micro in the background and a lifetime subscription is included in the price.  You can run things on your network with this alone. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Miska said:

256x rates or higher. Running proper digital filters to 256fs+. Instead of pathetic 32fs rates.

And no, you won't see 64fs PCM from USB Audio Class because it is out specification. Already 32fs PCM with more than 16 bit is out of spec.

You cannot keep increasing R2R DAC's sampling rates without significantly reducing number of bits, because you will hit settling time problem. High precision ladder cannot settle within +-½ LSB in fraction of sample time if sampling rate is too high. DSD gets you around this settling time problem. And also around low level linearity problems.

DSD certainly doesn't kill transients, you get much more accurate transient reproduction than you can with PCM DACs.

What kind of DAC do you have? There are not so many DACs where you have native PCM and native DSD...

I could not agree more on the fact that DAC selection is critical when doing external up-sampling using HQP. Unless you have a DAC (like for example a Holo Spring or May) that can be run in true NOS mode and that also has separate converters (one PCM and one DSD), you really do not know what further data manipulation is going on in the DAC. As Jussi has said, there are only a few DACs out there that meet this criteria. 

18 minutes ago, lpost said:

I'm just a touch less at i7-6700 or 6770 I forget which. It's a retired business computer from my office. 3 years old and they go. Perhaps I should set my sites on a decent 8th or 9th gen CPU and not 11th.

Just get a MAC Mini M1 and use it just for HQP. I can get ASDM7EC/DSD 256/48/poly sinc long gauss with no problem. And, it is an economic al solution. Get the 16 GB version.

1 hour ago, lpost said:

I would need to purchase desktop license as I don't believe HQPe will run on Mac. I really don't want to install and manage Ubuntu on my audio PC. I get plenty of it with my work. I am grateful Jussi puts together the bootable images. Bam, easy. Done. Swap anytime back to previous build and move forward without risk to music flow.

I need a CPU, MB, RAM, case and I have a power supply I could reuse. I've looked at i5-11600k and i7-11700k and a mid-level board with decent VRM. Ram is not a huge deal as I don't believe overclocking it a ton will really improve HQPe. There are some cool cases and I have the space to fit an ATX in my AV closet. Fans are zero issue.

Frankly, the May sounds so very good NOS and HQPe NOS with LNS15 as I am using volume I wonder the value of a new PC when what I've got gets me so very close. 1.5M PCM does bring a touch more focus, width and depth et al but I don't have to have it to enjoy the music.

When will a CPU and/or GPU combo be able to do DSD512 with EC modulator, let alone 1024, that doesn't make a decent heater. I'm electricity neutral or even in a surplus with my 5kw solar. It's not about the $ it's more about saving resources. 

The upcoming M1X/M2 chip might be the first to be able to do ASDM7EC/DSD512. We will see this winter.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The processor specs show it as a 28W chip which seems too low to me to do what you want. The problem with all NUCs is low wattage processors (compared to desktop processors) and of course the cooling fan noise issue. The only way to find out for sure is of course to buy and try.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, bobflood said:

Thanks, I have a EOL Chrome Book that was a high end Dell with a i3. I think I can get Linux to install on it.

Success! Got Ubuntu 22.04 installed and the Desktop Client as well. Works very well. If you have a EOL Chromebook it is a great way to run the Client. It wasn't too difficult. Google is your friend here.

25 minutes ago, Cornell77 said:

Thank you for these replies.  HQ Player desktop on Linux is the least painful entry for learning. I certainly am not yet ready for an embedded install.  I'll give desktop a try and see how it goes.

I have full 22.04 on a 18.5 gigabyte partition and it works just fine. You will need a way to get the license file for the machine into the Linux partition. I have mine stored in One Drive so I just downloaded it once I was in Linux and installed it to the Linux HQP Desktop install. A usb stick would work as well.

I did this on my i5 8400 passively cooled machine that could not handle ASDM7EC using Windows without drops. Using the Linux Desktop 4.19.2 I can do ASDM7EC with poly sinc gauss long/poly sinc gauss hi-res lp and up-conversion to 48K without any problems. 

Give it a try!

2 hours ago, bobflood said:

I have full 22.04 on a 18.5 gigabyte partition and it works just fine. You will need a way to get the license file for the machine into the Linux partition. I have mine stored in One Drive so I just downloaded it once I was in Linux and installed it to the Linux HQP Desktop install. A usb stick would work as well.

I did this on my i5 8400 passively cooled machine that could not handle ASDM7EC using Windows without drops. Using the Linux Desktop 4.19.2 I can do ASDM7EC with poly sinc gauss long/poly sinc gauss hi-res lp and up-conversion to 48K without any problems. 

Give it a try!

Another thing that I forgot to mention. When you have 22.04 installed and updated, install the low-latency kernel. It is really easy. Just Google "Ubuntu 22.04 low latency kernel install instructions". Jussi recommends it when using Desktop on Linux.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, ericuco said:

For HQP Desktop version, you can move the license from one computer to another. I have moved my Desktop license several times now without an issue. If you have installed the v3 software on your new computer, the v3 license should work but @Miska would know for sure. It has been some time since v4 was released. Also, not sure if v3 is supported on Win 11 or not.

If you haven’t purchased the upgraded v4 license, then of course the v4 software isn’t going to work.

As always, it is your choice whether to upgrade or not but with most software products older versions aren’t always supported on newer OS’s.

The license key is hardware specific. You need to email @miska and request a new key for your new hardware.

2 minutes ago, musicbuff said:

Maybe Windows 11 is the issue. HQP 4 works, just that it quits after 30 minutes of play. I understand that. I haven't decided to purchase it so I'm in trial mode. I'm just overwhelmed by the complexity of HQP 4. What was your learning curve? Thanks Bobflood, I'll email Miska.

The learning curve is not overwhelming. There will be plenty of help here so don’t worry about that. I would upgrade for the improvement in sound quality alone.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Miska said:

Yes, Client works with both Embedded and Desktop servers the same way. That is the idea behind it. It is just distributed in the same package as Desktop for logistical reasons. On macOS and Windows you can install Client independently from the Desktop component.

I guess I missed something in the setup. When I open the Client on another computer, all I see is another running Desktop and localhost but not the Embedded version which is running on a different machine. What setting do I change to make Embedded visible to the Client. I have tried Client on two machines and. neither one sees the Embedded machine. Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

HQPlayer.Local:8088 sometimes works on my network and sometimes not. It might be just my network, but others have reported the same anomaly, so keep an eye on that. Using the specific IP address will get you access every time, however. 

Just be aware that, if you use the OS version of HQPlayer Embedded, you will get a new MAC address and, with that, IP address every time you update your USB stick or SDD. If you can't find the new installation with HQPlayer.Local:8088, you will have to find the new IP address with Fing or a similar application. 

Thanks for the heads-up on this Mike. The local address did not work but the ip does. When I update the USB drive, I will check my router for the new ip. I will also have to update my VPN rules to make sure it stays on the WAN and not on the VPN.  Thanks again