IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Hi everybody,

This is Jose Miguel and this is my first post in this thread or any other about hqplayer. A few days back, I finally decided to give a try, and I plan to build a Ubuntu 16.04.5 roon server + hqplayer embedded in a powerful machine whereas my current hard modded music server will act as naa into my usb interface, using Ubuntu 16.04.5 as well.
I have started in my test environment, consisting in a SMSL DAC (DSD512/PCM768), a standard i3 machine acting as roon+hqplayerd server and a laptop as naa to the dac.

So far, the best I have done is to "correctly" install Ubuntu 16.04, hqplayerd and roon server. Even connecting the dac to the server I was able to play tracks from roon>hqplayerd>dac.
Right now I am stuck at the second step that is connecting hqplyerd to naa>dac. They don't see each other via multicast, even with a direct cable between both. Using an naa image in the test laptop(naa), hqplayerd discovered the remote audio devices in naa.

In conclusion, I have some network issues but I suspect they are related with a problem in installation either in server or in naa. 

This is the process I have followed in hqplayer+roon server:
1. Install Ubuntu Server v16.04.5 using a USB pendrive. During the installa wizard I installed only SSH and basic server install and assigned a ipv4 static address to the server.
2. Update kernel to "lowlatency-lts-xenial" via apt-get
3. Update kernel to custom "linux-image-4.14.49-jl+_13_amd64" via dpkg -i
4. Update kernel to custom "linux-headers-4.14.49-jl+_13_amd64" via dpkg -i 
5. Install the following libraries: "libglib2.0-0, libflac8, libasound2, libasound2-data, libgomp1" via apt-get
6. Install custom library "libgmpris_2.2.1-4_amd64" via dpkg -i (downloaded from sonarnred)
7. Check dependencies via "apt-get install -f"
8. Install hqplayer "hqplayerd_4.2.1-13_amd64"  via dpkg -i (downloaded from signalyst)
9. Execute command "sudo hqplayerd -s hqpe hqpe"

After theses steps I can access to https://<static_ip>:8088/config and as I said before I was able to start playback connecting the dac locally.

This is the process followed in naa laptop connected to dac:
1. Install Ubuntu Server v16.04.5 using a USB pendrive. During the installa wizard I installed only SSH and basic server install and assigned a ipv4 static address to the naa.
2. Update kernel to "lowlatency-lts-xenial" via apt-get
3. Update kernel to custom "linux-image-4.14.49-jl+_13_amd64" via dpkg -i
4. Update kernel to custom "linux-headers-4.14.49-jl+_13_amd64" via dpkg -i 
5. Install the following libraries: "libflac8, libasound2, libasound2-data, libasound2-plugins, alsa-utils " via apt-get
6. Check dependencies via "apt-get install -f"
7. Install naa "networkaudiod_3.5.4-38_amd64"  via dpkg -i (downloaded from signalyst)

The result is that there is no devices available in Network Audio Backend in hqplyerd web settings. If I check hqplyerd log in /tmp/... it shows that does not find any network audio devices.

Comparing to the hqplyerd or naa images i have noticed some diferences in my installation:
- hqplyerd image show a br0 interface which I suppose its a bridged virtual connection containing the physical ethernet. Is this necessary??? Actually I thought these config could cause issues.
- in both server or naa, when I use the images i get messages in console about the diferent interfaces status that do not appear in my non-volatile installation.

I am almost sure that all these issues are related to the networking and the interfaces configuration. But I still haven´t found the reason.

Any help or advice will be very appreciated.

Thank a lot in advance and sorry for my cherokee english... ;))
Best,
JM
34 minutes ago, luisma said:

it is not listed but you have knowledge of Linux just to be sure you have this enabled?

systemctl enable networkaudiod.service

systemctl start networkaudiod.service

I do have the same config as you with the only addition of Roon Bridge on the NAA

My HQPE and ROON Core server has ethernet directly connected to my NAA + Roon Bridge endpoint. Each the server and the NAA has wireless for management and Tidal streaming. With Ruckus Wireless R710 and 5.2 GHZ I have sustained 32 mbits / second wireless performance. 

Hi luisma, yes I have checked, and both services, hqplayerd in server and networkaudiod in naa, are enabled and running....how do you configure your network interfaces? are you using static or dhcp? ipv4 or ipv6?

I plan to subscribe to tidal as well when i get this working.....if that ever happens.....

52 minutes ago, luisma said:

it is not listed but you have knowledge of Linux just to be sure you have this enabled?

systemctl enable networkaudiod.service

systemctl start networkaudiod.service

I do have the same config as you with the only addition of Roon Bridge on the NAA

My HQPE and ROON Core server has ethernet directly connected to my NAA + Roon Bridge endpoint. Each the server and the NAA has wireless for management and Tidal streaming. With Ruckus Wireless R710 and 5.2 GHZ I have sustained 32 mbits / second wireless performance. 

When I run the naa image I get info messages in the console prompt about the interface status as if it went through different states which do not appear in my ubuntu install maybe although service is running it is not working properly...

1 hour ago, Miska said:

It is for the cases where the hardware has multiple network interfaces. Otherwise multicast routing becomes a nightmare. It also works around issue on systemd waiting forever on unconnected interfaces to become ready and thus preventing service from coming up.

Those messages are normal for bridge setup, it takes a while for the bridge (which works just like a switch) to learn MAC addresses on the interfaces and detect link status.

Frequently problem finding a NAA case has been multi-homed configuration where HQPlayer machine has multiple network interfaces and then multicasts are being routed to the wrong one.

I understand.

Do you think am i missing something in the process of installation I describe above??

Thank you

16 hours ago, Miska said:

No, seems correct to me. But depends on the hardware, does either one of the machines have multiple network interfaces?

Just in case you could also check firewall on both machines with "iptables -L".

Hi Miska, I checked firewall as well and it was disabled. No multiple network interfaces either.

Today I have used another machine and started from the begining. I have followed the steps as yesterday but today I cannot enter the configuration page. It asks for the username and password but after introducing it says connection refused. I have repeated the whole process twice with same results...

I have some doubts

1. After update the kernel with LAST patches (jl+) I install these libraries: "libglib2.0-0, libflac8, libasound2, libasound2-data, libgomp1", but I don´t install rygel because I want to use hqplayer with roon. is it correct? i am confused in this point because i see that some rygel libraries are isntalled when I check dependencies of  hqplayerd (last version as well)

2. I have been following the only manual I have found to help in the installation as I am sure you already know. In this manual, after installing hqplayerd it creates some directories and manage some xml files. Is it necessary? One of them is rygel related.

3. After this I just configure: "sudo hqplayerd -s <user> <pass> and restart hqplayerd.service. Is it necessary to do "hqplayerd -u <user> <pass> " as well?

I have reinstalled everything twice and I am unable to access to hqplayer settings....I don´t understand what am i doing wrong....

Thank you in advance,

JM

Sorry Miska, but I am not understanding.

1. The library called just "rygel" must be installed if you want to use hqplayer and roon? If I install it there is a bunch of dependencies too...

2. After the installation of hqplayerd there is no .config or .hqpe in the home directory. I am refering to these commands:

mkdir /home/hqpe/.config

chmod 750 /home/hqpe/.config

mkdir /home/hqpe/.hqplayer

zcat /usr/share/doc/hqplayerd/rygel.conf.gz > /home/hqpe/.config/rygel.conf

sudo mv /etc/hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml /etc/hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml.orig

Are these commands necessary?

When I rename the config file to .orig there is no config file in /etc/hqplayer but service runs and if I don´t execute the command service does not start. In a system log I have read that hqplyayerd receives the "\config" web request but it restarts inmediately maybe because this missing file???

26 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes...

I don't know where that comes from, but no, those are not necessary if you run hqplayerd as a service.

There are some instructions in the readme.txt included in the package. But if you feel setting up hqplayerd is complex, why don't you use the bootable image that has everything needed, including a custom OS? You can just use "bmaptool" to dump it to a USB memory stick and you are ready to go by booting from that stick. Same goes for the NAA side.

OK. Thank you very much. I am trying again to install

I don´t want to use the images because i want to install roon as well....

I am completely confused. Just don´t get what I am doing wrong. This is what I do:

1. Install Ubuntu 16.04.5. Only SSH and base.

2. wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/xenial/linux-headers-4.14.65-jl+_16_amd64.deb

3. wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/xenial/linux-image-4.14.65-jl+_16_amd64.deb 

4. sudo dpkg -i linux-image-4.14.65-jl+_16_amd64.deb

5. sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-4.14.65-jl+_16_amd64.deb

6. wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/xenial/libgmpris_2.2.1-4_amd64.deb

7. sudo dpkg -i libgmpris_2.2.1-4_amd64.deb

8. sudo apt-get -y install libglib2.0-0 libflac8 libasound2 libasound2-data libgomp1
9. sudo apt-get -y install rygel

10. wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/xenial/hqplayerd_4.3.1-15_amd64.deb 

11. sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.3.1-15_amd64.deb

12. sudo hqplayerd -s user pass

13. sudo systemctl start hqplayerd.service.

I get an error starting the service: Failed with result 'core-dump'

- If I rename the file /etc/hqplayerd/hqplayerd.xml to /etc/hqplayerd/hqplayerd.xml.bkp service starts but I am unable to access the config page after validating user/pass. Error: kernel: traps: hqplayerd[2989] trap invalid opcode ip:9d635f......

Hi again!

I finally found the reason for such a strange behaviour. It was due to the cpus I was using. It didn´t support SSE4.2. Today I have tested again with a newer laptop as naa and a small i3 as server. Both are supporting the requirements and the installation has been surprisingly simple and straight forward.

I really want to thank you for your kind support in my first step in this journey, specially to Miska for his infinite patience ???.

This weekend I will test at home....

Thanks again!?

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Miska said:

As the release notes say, because it is about (experimental) USB input support and that involves the OS heavily. When there are notable changes to the HQPlayer Embedded binary itself it will be released just as before.

This one is tested to work on UpBoard. It should work also on UpSquared, but at least with current BIOS and USB2 cable it doesn't come up correctly, I will try with USB3 later when I get long enough micro-B to  A USB3 cable.

I hope by 4.19 kernel release time the multi-role USB support is in better shape (it's been very long time coming).

Sorry, what do you mean with "USB input support"??

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, shadowlight said:

@arglebargle, @Miska

What did you guys do to get the minimal install of Ubuntu 18.04?  I tried to install the Ubuntu Server and I ended up with close to 520+ packages, which included stuff for cloud, vmware, etc.  I did not pick any rolls just had it installed normal server.  I tried the minimal option but it refuses to boot the system if my bios is set to EFI.  Hoping you gents have some guidance on the setup.

It is very strange! I used 18.04 for my current setup and installation was very similar to 16.04 I just checked base system and ssh, around 270 packages, a little more than 16.04....

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Miska said:

For me, the not so interesting part is that at the moment AFAIK it is limited to 192k PCM.

You also need to be a bit careful that you don't accidentally route audio through the on-chip DSP which would mess with the data.

192k pcm is not so bad for me. I am just playing at 24/96 to a TDA1541 tube dac....but, would the bootable image work via I2S (GPIO)?

I have read about disabling the DSP in BIOS settings...

thank you