IGNORED

Media Server/Renderer Cable Routing?

Because I know little about how a LAN actually works, any suggestions are welcomed. I have read about Network Isolation and will eventually consider installing a Fiber Media Converter. But before doing that, I would like to get the upfront connections routed in the best possible way.

My Media Server (Mac mini) and CAT cable to the audio room reside at the same location. My goal is to connect both to the LAN. As much as possible, I would like that link to be as direct as it can be. However, I haven’t a clue how to do that.

Our ISP is Uverse. We have an NVG589 Gateway (Modem/Router). It has 4-ethernet ports. One of these ports runs directly to the STB (Set Top Box). Another port on the Gateway is used for an 8-port Cisco switch that routes cables to other devices. The 2-remaining ports are presently used, but I could change that.

Should either the Mac mini or the Audio room cable (or both) be connected to the Uverse Gateway? Or should I connect another unmanaged switch that I’m not using (Netgear) to one of the Gateway’s ports and use it as a sole connection point for both the Mac mini Media Server and the audio room Renderer (microRendu)?

-Mike

Because I know little about how a LAN actually works, any suggestions are welcomed. I have read about Network Isolation and will eventually consider installing a Fiber Media Converter. But before doing that, I would like to get the upfront connections routed in the best possible way.

My Media Server (Mac mini) and CAT cable to the audio room reside at the same location. My goal is to connect both to the LAN. As much as possible, I would like that link to be as direct as it can be. However, I haven’t a clue how to do that.

Our ISP is Uverse. We have an NVG589 Gateway (Modem/Router). It has 4-ethernet ports. One of these ports runs directly to the STB (Set Top Box). Another port on the Gateway is used for an 8-port Cisco switch that routes cables to other devices. The 2-remaining ports are presently used, but I could change that.

Should either the Mac mini or the Audio room cable (or both) be connected to the Uverse Gateway? Or should I connect another unmanaged switch that I’m not using (Netgear) to one of the Gateway’s ports and use it as a sole connection point for both the Mac mini Media Server and the audio room Renderer (microRendu)?

either will work -- all devices just need a connection (direct or via a switch) to the router to be able to get ip addresses.

i've found that i get the best performance not using the ports on the routers provided by cable companies. i typically only use one port on those routers to connect to a switch (16 port switch in my case). like you, i've had good success with netgear gigabit unmanaged switches.

you'll hear a lot about upgrading your ethernet cables beyond cat5e -- either cat6/6a/7/8 or fiber. the idea is to eliminate noise in the chain. so for instance, you could upgrade the cables from the router to the switch and from the switch to any audio related devices (nas, mac mini, microrendu, etc.). i've got a lot of cat5e in my house, so i'm living with that. i have put fiber between my switch and my music pc (see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AVRLZI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to isolate the music pc from the noise on the rest of the network. so you've got options to play with.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

i should add that, in my opinion, the most important piece -- by far -- is the microrendu. i would use a good quality ethernet cable to the microrendu and get an lps-1 to power it. that'll give you the most bang for the buck -- other upgrades are gravy.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
i should add that, in my opinion, the most important piece -- by far -- is the microrendu. i would use a good quality ethernet cable to the microrendu and get an lps-1 to power it. that'll give you the most bang for the buck -- other upgrades are gravy.

Thanks for your suggestions! Although I haven't put the microRendu to work yet, I did buy the lps-1. I bought both several weeks ago.

Unfortunately like you, I'm stuck with CAT5e, unless I can find a good in-wall/ceiling fisherman (grin)! When the house was built, we wired with the best, but at that time, CAT5e was it! So, I have a 40' (approx.) run of CAT5e from my HT room to the 2-channel audio room. All phone and coax were home runs within feet of the HT room where the AT&T Gateway resides and where I plan to place my File Server (Mac mini). So, at least that's convenient.

Up until now, I have used JRiver, but am seriously considering Roon, I believe that I'm going in that direction. While costly, Roon just seems to work and easily so with various devices. More importantly, I can use Windows based devices to remotely control it. JRemote is good, but unfortunately limited to Apple.

-Mike

Unfortunately like you, I'm stuck with CAT5e, unless I can find a good in-wall/ceiling fisherman (grin)!

Up until now, I have used JRiver, but am seriously considering Roon, I believe that I'm going in that direction. While costly, Roon just seems to work and easily so with various devices. More importantly, I can use Windows based devices to remotely control it. JRemote is good, but unfortunately limited to Apple.

while i've got a lot of cat5e, i don't consider it a problem. i pulled it myself, made sure it was away from power, and terminated it nice and tight. it's very robust, reliable, and super fast. am i missing something . . . maybe.

roon is something i've considered, but it certainly is pricey. don't forget about minimserver. you can put minimserver on a nas and then need nothing else besides the microrendu. linn kazoo and lumin and bubbleupnp app are all nice and provide tidal integration. the combo is inexpensive, but very capable -- would work great with the microrendu.

while i've got a lot of cat5e, i don't consider it a problem. i pulled it myself, made sure it was away from power, and terminated it nice and tight. it's very robust, reliable, and super fast. am i missing something . . . maybe.

roon is something i've considered, but it certainly is pricey. don't forget about minimserver. you can put minimserver on a nas and then need nothing else besides the microrendu. linn kazoo and lumin and bubbleupnp app are all nice and provide tidal integration. the combo is inexpensive, but very capable -- would work great with the microrendu.

Can you direct me to a site that adequately explains how to install and run minimum server? I cannot figure out how to actually get it running, ie: where is the user interface accessed from? Is it all command line?

Can you direct me to a site that adequately explains how to install and run minimum server? I cannot figure out how to actually get it running, ie: where is the user interface accessed from? Is it all command line?

MinimServer. If you are installing on a nas, then you need to install minimwatch on a pc. That allows you to set up the server.