IGNORED

Packing up my CD player...bittersweet

tboooe

Today I received my new DAC and will be packing up my Luxman D-06 cdp. This will be the first time in over 25 years that I have not had some sort of cdp in my system. But I am now 100% digital music. Even though I still buy lots of CDs regularly I use my PC to rip them into my library before listening. I've been using my current cdp as a DAC for the past few years mainly for sentimental reasons even though it was lacking in the features required for digital playback (no usb/AES/I2s input, limited to 176 sample rate, no DSD, etc). With a heavy heart I finally made the switch to using a DAC only device in my system.

Over the years I've had the pleasure of owning some very cool cdp. Here is a list of some memorable ones:

Magnavox D8880 boombox (1988) - my very first cdp I got for Xmas. I remember going out that day and buying two cds...Sting "Nothing Like the Sun" and The Primitives "Lovely".

$_58.JPG

Sony Discman D-25 Portable cdp (1989) - what??? A portable cdp??? Who cares if it skipped when you looked at it the wrong way? This was portable!

Sony-Discman-D-25-D-250-portable-CD-_1.jpg

Sony MHC-RX90 (1996) - the first stereo I bought with my own money after getting a real job after college. This system had a carousel cd changer!!!

28967.jpg

Cary 303/300 tube hybrid (2005) - my first audiophile cdp after feeling like I made it in my career. This was the beginning of a long slippery slope of spending ridiculous amounts of money into this hobby.

162351-cary_303300_sstubehdcd_player.jpg

Esoteric P3/D3 transport and dac (2007) - from a technical point of view my favorite cdp. The Esoteric VRDS transport was/is a marvel of engineering. The sound was the best I have ever heard up to that point.

DSC08623-1024x991.jpg

p03_vrds_neo.jpg

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

We rip our CDs as soon as we receive them, so only external CD drives attached to Mac laptops are needed.

I can count on one finger the number of times I've used my CD "player" in the last several years.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Today I received my new DAC and will be packing up my Luxman D-06 cdp. This will be the first time in over 25 years that I have not had some sort of cdp in my system. But I am now 100% digital music. Even though I still buy lots of CDs regularly I use my PC to rip them into my library before listening. I've been using my current cdp as a DAC for the past few years mainly for sentimental reasons even though it was lacking in the features required for digital playback (no usb/AES/I2s input, limited to 176 sample rate, no DSD, etc). With a heavy heart I finally made the switch to using a DAC only device in my system.

Over the years I've had the pleasure of owning some very cool cdp. Here is a list of some memorable ones:

Magnavox D8880 boombox (1988) - my very first cdp I got for Xmas. I remember going out that day and buying two cds...Sting "Nothing Like the Sun" and The Primitives "Lovely".

Sony Discman D-25 Portable cdp (1989) - what??? A portable cdp??? Who cares if it skipped when you looked at it the wrong way? This was portable!

Sony MHC-RX90 (1996) - the first stereo I bought with my own money after getting a real job after college. This system had a carousel cd changer!!!

Cary 303/300 tube hybrid (2005) - my first audiophile cdp after feeling like I made it in my career. This was the beginning of a long slippery slope of spending ridiculous amounts of money into this hobby.

Esoteric P3/D3 transport and dac (2007) - from a technical point of view my favorite cdp. The Esoteric VRDS transport was/is a marvel of engineering. The sound was the best I have ever heard up to that point.

1) Those last two CD players are beautiful!

2) Funny that this post comes up - I recently bought a CD player, after not owning one since about 2005. Basically, since the start of the CD era I have amassed so many CDs, it would take me a lifetime to rip them and properly tag them...

So far it has been great - I mean just before, from that huge collection I only listened to what I could rip - now, it's like I got 5000 or so new recordings at once!

I wrote about it here

Still love records... but having a digital dalliance - the journey | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

v

1) Those last two CD players are beautiful!

2) Funny that this post comes up - I recently bought a CD player, after not owning one since about 2005. Basically, since the start of the CD era I have amassed so many CDs, it would take me a lifetime to rip them and properly tag them...

So far it has been great - I mean just before, from that huge collection I only listened to what I could rip - now, it's like I got 5000 or so new recordings at once!

I wrote about it here

Still love records... but having a digital dalliance - the journey | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

v

Thank you. I had the pleasure of owning several Cary and Esoteric players. I also had the Cary 306T and the Esoteric X-03. Both outstanding.

Its funny but I am totally the opposite of you, getting rid of my cdp has actually allowed me to enjoy more of my entire library. When I had cdp, I was always too lazy to look through the 3k+ I had to find something new to listen to. I actually ended up with a stash of about 20 cds or so I kept by my listening chair and that was all I would listen to. Making the commitment to rip everything to FLAC has been without a doubt the best thing I have ever done to increase my enjoyment of music. I actually just spent the past year re-ripping my entire collection because when I first ripped them years ago, I saved everything to MP3. I just did about 10 a day. It was actually a fun experience re-discovering lost gems I forgot I had. I even found cds that were still in their plastic wrapping!

So jealous of that D25, still a great portable player today.

yeah that D-25 was built like I tank. I remember it being really heavy. I ended up keeping it all through college and used it connected to a receiver. It always worked and never failed. I wish I kept it but I think a college roommate stole it.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments