IGNORED

Any experience with The Upgrade Company?

jdjaye

Hey Folks-

Has anyone had any firsthand experience with the upgrade company?

If so, did you hear a significant improvement in sound quality with your component once you got it back?

I'm thinking about upgrading my Marantz PM15S2 Integrated Amp with them. If I could use get a significant sound quality upgrade, then $1k would be worth it to me, so I don't really care what it costs them to do the work if I get the promised results.

Since they and I are both located in the USA and I will pay by credit card, I'm not worried about getting my gear back. (Mail fraud and all that). But fighting over a guarantee would be a pain in the neck...

So, has anyone on this forum who had been around actually used them?

Thanks for your insights!

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

Hey Folks-

If so, did you hear a significant improvement in sound quality with your component once you got it back?

I'm thinking about upgrading my Marantz PM15S2 Integrated Amp with them. If I could use get a significant sound quality upgrade, then $1k would be worth it to me, so I don't really care what it costs them to do the work if I get the promised results.

Since they and I are both located in the USA and I will pay by credit card, I'm not worried about getting my gear back. (Mail fraud and all that). But fighting over a guarantee would be a pain in the neck...

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/david-j-schulte-the-upgrade-company-fraud-and-scam-real-esoteric-story?highlight=the%2Bupgrade%2Bcompany

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Steer well clear of 'The Upgrade Company' unless you consider upgrading their bank account.

Do you have firsthand experience? I've seen the horror story thread, but it seems to be one guy who had a terrible experience, who is a hit and run poster of on this one topic, so that's not a valid data point for me.

If someone established on this forum has a first hand experience, either positive or negative, I would love to hear from them.

Thanks!

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

Do you have firsthand experience? I've seen the horror story thread, but it seems to be one guy who had a terrible experience, who is a hit and run poster of on this one topic, so that's not a valid data point for me.

If someone established on this forum has a first hand experience, either positive or negative, I would love to hear from them.

Thanks!

I didn't know about the AudioGon thread until now...

Avoid

I contacted him a few years ago to inquire about his upgrades on a DAC that already had a few mods. Here's what he said in emails:

"Our RFI EMI RIDDANCE TECHNOLOGY is what's trade secret and not to be installed into someone else's modded unit and it to be studied by voiding the warranty void if removed sticker "

Used to be some pretty bad photos of their work online, look for those. When I asked him about the photos he said:

"We'll add your name on the list to sue for defamation when the time comes :)"

When I said he didn't know me, I was only asking about these, he said:

"Lol we gross a mil a year and govt investigators can trace anything Start saving your pennies dumb dumb "

Here's a few others that do upgrades. You'll probably be better off.

Undewood HiFi

Noble Electronics

ASi Audio Mods

Backert Labs

The first one, no direct experience but he seems to have a good rep. Very visible on Audiogon.

Noble Electronics upgraded equipment for me. Good experience.

I've been in touch with Doug at ASi a few times. Hasn't done any work for me but seems like a real straight shooter.

No experience with Backert but they have a lot of good press.

Hey Folks-

I contacted them and asked for measurements of a component before and after upgrade, was told no problem then never heard from them. If I were in that business I would have before and after measurements posted on the site as a selling point, not avoiding the question.

That's ridiculous. These measurements aren't posted on any upgrader's site, including the most highly regarded upgraders. Before and after measurements of what? Capacitors and other components are commonly swapped out for same value but higher quality ones. These can have a profound impact on sound but these changes are not necessarily measurable. Measurements and "white papers" don't tell the whole story, even for low-end A/V gear. Who are you to tell a company like Modwright or Noble how they should conduct their business. In any case, with the thousands of pieces of equipment out there, this would not be even remotely possible.

That's ridiculous. These measurements aren't posted on any upgrader's site, including the most highly regarded upgraders. Before and after measurements of what? Capacitors and other components are commonly swapped out for same value but higher quality ones. These can have a profound impact on sound but these changes are not necessarily measurable. Measurements and "white papers" don't tell the whole story, even for low-end A/V gear. Who are you to tell a company like Modwright or Noble how they should conduct their business. In any case, with the thousands of pieces of equipment out there, this would not be even remotely possible.
Of course but coupled with the impossibility of comparing the original with the modded, there is no way to know that anything has changed, even for the better.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I have no problem with that, then they shouldn't have told me they would provide measurements then, right? What else can I conclude, yes we can provide measurements and then they don't follow up. Better to just say no.