IGNORED

Dirty Power and fidelity of music playback with computer audio

wgscott

No. I just use a Brickwall series-mode surge protector. So it gets to enjoy the voltage sags, etc., without any "conditioning" or "regeneration."

Dac/pre: Teac NT-503. Class D Audio amps.

Likewise, I use good quality power boards just to protect sensitive electronic equipments (removes line noise and regulates the voltage to some extend). Having said that I have a relatively clean power supply anyway. It would be very sad if my last gen Pana plasma dies due to power supply issues.

I was thinking a hotel might be better ...

The lack of internet irritates me more than the lack of electricity.

Today the ATT land line went dead. The only reason I keep it is because we don't get cell phone coverage. We do get a very faint Verizon signal, so I am wondering if an amplifier like this might help?

If you have a faint signal yes it might. I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RHMFQSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Outdoors on the porch my cell phone will usually manage a connection for phone calls without dropping. Indoors I get nothing except maybe sporadically near a large window. Data connection runs from very slow to equally often non-existent. There is a faint signal however.

With the booster indoors I get rock solid phone calls. I get data connections that run around 10-15 mbps most of the time. In excellent clear weather a bit more. In rainy conditions maybe only 5-8 mbps. I can hotspot my phone and get quite usable internet service. If only it were less costly. When in town very near a cell tower my phone and Fi service can manage 80 mbps data.

Network Cell info lite is a good app to see how much signal you are getting and if the booster can work for you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en

There is also an iPhone version of this app.

On this app outdoors where I put the booster antenna, the gauge reads around - 115 db on LTE and sometimes it won't quite get LTE at all. This is enough signal to get boosted 25 db which puts it in range for an excellent data connection. If the LTE drops to -120 or a bit less you effectively have too little signal to work.

As far as the 1500 square foot coverage promised by the device basically cut it in half. They have higher end versions that provide wider coverage if you need it. These are a bit tricky to get working at optimum, but follow the instructions and don't give up. You'll be rewarded with good service if you have a tiny sliver of signal to work with.

And so sorry to hear of your difficulties. Hopefully they will resolve sooner than you expect.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

It is a Honda (which is reasonably quiet) and in the garage. The neighbor's generators are much louder. It is like trying to get some sleep in a tent in a KOA campground RV section.

Hondas tend to be quiet, certainly quieter than my Costco special. And yes, it sounds just like an RV campground here when the power goes out.

Looking forward to the batteries, though I don't know about the future neighbors.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If you have a faint signal yes it might. I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RHMFQSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Outdoors on the porch my cell phone will usually manage a connection for phone calls without dropping. Indoors I get nothing except maybe sporadically near a large window. Data connection runs from very slow to equally often non-existent. There is a faint signal however.

With the booster indoors I get rock solid phone calls. I get data connections that run around 10-15 mbps most of the time. In excellent clear weather a bit more. In rainy conditions maybe only 5-8 mbps. I can hotspot my phone and get quite usable internet service. If only it were less costly. When in town very near a cell tower my phone and Fi service can manage 80 mbps data.

Network Cell info lite is a good app to see how much signal you are getting and if the booster can work for you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en

There is also an iPhone version of this app.

On this app outdoors where I put the booster antenna, the gauge reads around - 115 db on LTE and sometimes it won't quite get LTE at all. This is enough signal to get boosted 25 db which puts it in range for an excellent data connection. If the LTE drops to -120 or a bit less you effectively have too little signal to work.

As far as the 1500 square foot coverage promised by the device basically cut it in half. They have higher end versions that provide wider coverage if you need it. These are a bit tricky to get working at optimum, but follow the instructions and don't give up. You'll be rewarded with good service if you have a tiny sliver of signal to work with.

And so sorry to hear of your difficulties. Hopefully they will resolve sooner than you expect.

Thanks. That is exactly the kind of product endorsement I want to hear. I guess since it is Prime I can return it if it doesn't work. Even at that price, it would pay for itself in 6 months if I ditch the land line.

the hotel had cable - that was the only real benefit (besides the dog's quite evident delight in the room - not clear why he was so excited...)

I am getting the idea that you live way out of town -- you could revert to grad. school and sleep in your lab...

anyway, best wishes on getting power again soon