IGNORED

Dirty Power and fidelity of music playback with computer audio

wgscott

We are getting a little bit of weather recently. We have to pick our way through this to get in and out of the house:

32975499675_715ec8135e_z.jpg

I doubt PG&E (Power, Greed & Extortion, our electrical utility) will fix this any time soon. But the real tragedy is we have no internet connection. At least we can make our own electricity by burning fossils and cranking up the CO2.

So I decided to try an experiment.

Normally, I don't use sensitive electronics when the power is out, mainly because the generator doesn't exactly produce clean electrical power. The lights flicker, the voltage sags, there are spikes and all sorts of anomalies, pretty much constantly.

But I decided to do it. The new DAC is still under warranty, and I am always on the lookout for an excuse to upgrade stuff, so why not?

Guess what? The music sounds just as good as ever. The dirty power makes no obvious, audible difference at all. This is not to say that I think it is good for sensitive electronics, but simply to report that I cannot hear any degradation in sound quality. Zippo. Nada.

So if you can't degrade sound quality in a readily audible manner by providing really dirty power, it really makes it hard to believe I could improve the sound quality audibly by incrementally further cleaning up reasonably clean power from the utility (should that one day be restored).

Meanwhile, another "atmospheric river" is on the way.

Ouch. Take care of yourself and your family!

And thanks for sharing your observation ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Ouch. Take care of yourself and your family!

And thanks for sharing your observation ;)

Thanks.

I was listening to this (which, fortunately, I bought and downloaded):

Listening to this this morning:

Johann Sebastian Bach | Johann Sebastian Bach par Rafal BlechaczÂ*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33195[/ATTACH]

Exciting and imaginative performance (on modern piano, which I prefer) and exemplary recording.

I've suspected this result ever since the thread on buying a lot of equipment to remove line noise went past 20 pages without anyone bothering to measure line noise...

But I thought everyone in California had solar cells now...

I do.

But they are tied to the grid, so unless I buy a Tesla battery or something, they won't do me any good.

(I was thinking maybe that getting such a battery would be a good idea for running electronics on cleaner power, but now ... it would be good just to have a backup without having to haul in and burn a bunch of gasoline. I'll be hand-carrying gas cans over them wires in a couple of hours).

The reason why it's good is the grid is not attached to your home

while some noise comes from with in our homes but mostly it's the gride

min nyc during the day it's horrible and a real power regen is needed or some kind of real noise canceling filter. Also interment and radio waves add to this

our equipment like our EPA has many rules in making our devices but non that make it work better for us.

On the battery remarks an inverter is horrible in noise unless made for us

simaler to a power regen

in general power Amps do best off the outlets more than power cond of many types.

Down south I have. Huge gen set does the whole house dual hvac and all. I still use ups with spike protection on all except for Hifi stuff

Of course, plus some telepathy...

Over here use we use also transmigration to move from one place to the other. This way ISIS gang can't get us :)

But this isn't easy to understand for Hi Tech guys.

Roch

Real Audiophiles ™ have a direct connection to CA, bypassing any switches and routers for best PQ (post quality).

:)

You're running a generator?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I certainly couldn't tell anything about sound quality with our generator running. But perhaps you have one or more of an extraordinarily quiet generator, an extraordinarily well insulated house, or an extraordinarily loud audio system. :)

Anyway - when our house in New Mexico is finally built, I'm having it pre-wired for Tesla or other batteries, for any outages, and if I want to be off grid evenings.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.