IGNORED

The Sound of High Quality Reel to Reel?

I haven't been able to compare lately since I no longer own my analog recording gear, but back in the 80s when I was a recording engineer, no CD ever came close to the harmonic density and utter realism of my analog master tapes. Things have probably improved with DSD recorders, but those who still use 16 bits and 44.1k sampling rates are "freeze-drying" the music!

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

As far as digital sounding better when transferred to vinyl or tape, perhaps the analog process "warms up" the cold digital recording. I can say that most of my favorite CDs and SACDs derive from analog masters. Highdeftapetransfers.com offers hi-resolution copies of analog tapes, in some cases, straight from the masters. I sampled this one (24/96k)--sounds great! https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/products/beautiful-jazz-christian-jacob-piano-international-phonograph-inc-pure-dsd

The best sound I have ever heard was a 30 i.p.s. mastertape made by Mark Levinson Audio in the 80s (when it really was Mark Levinson!). Peter McGrath brought to to my local ML dealer for a great night of audio demonstrations. Nothing has ever equalled the absolute realism of that recording. (He played it back through massive Apogee speakers and ML electronics.)

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

Whoa indeed! Where was this photo taken(I'm assuming in a shop in China based on the writing on the back wall)?

I don't know--I saw it on the "High End Audio For The Passionates" Facebook page.

I forgot to mention that McGrath played the master tape on a Levinson-modified Studer A-80 deck called the ML-5 Master Recorder.

ml-5a.jpg

847790-mark-levinson-ml5a-halfinch-stereo-master-recorderreproducer-in-near-mint-condition.jpg