IGNORED

The Sound of High Quality Reel to Reel?

I've been consistently amazed at the sound quality of the vast majority of my 15ips 2 track tapes. Playing through a very fine system (Ampex ATR-102 with Doshi 3.0 tape prepro) the sound of the tapes, especially my safety masters on 1/2" tape, is mesmerizing. They beat out my very fine digital files played back on comparably priced digital equipment, both DSD and PCM at DSD256 and PCM192/24. The major problem is the cost of the media and the very limited selection. I have a very large (and expensive!!) collection of tapes (about 500 reels of 15ips 2 track, mostly 1/4" and some 1/2") and that is a small fraction of the vinyl or digital files that I have. The cost is not a small fraction of the cost of my vinyl collection or digital files.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files