IGNORED

microRendu (Quest for the All-In-One Killer)

Music listening used to be simple. You had your music on vinyl and used a turn table connected to an amp & speakers to play it. Bamm. Dark Side of the Moon in all of three seconds. Okay, maybe five.

I've gone from one possible configuration to another, finding significant flaws in each of them before finally landing on the Cambridge CXN all-in-one solution. But I'm convinced there must be a much better solution, and in fact, I'm beginning to believe we can largely get back what we had in paragraph 1 while enjoying instant access to our entire music libraries, and without spending a fortune. I MAY have found a way.

The purpose of this thread is finding confirmation, correction, redirection, etc. regarding one possible configuration using the ever popular microRendu. Please forgive the over simplifications. You are the most sophisticated group in the universe, and I love that about you, but I'm getting older and don't grasp some of these concepts as quickly. My current understanding as well as where I'm headed is the following:

1. Best case scenario, a music library is stored, as well as managed and played, on a network-connected PC, Mac, or NAS located somewhere else in the house (I believe the reason for this is a significant reduction in noise is made possible by keeping each electrical component in the audio chain separated into its own electrical circuit). In my case, the Windows 10 PC is a home theater computer (HTPC) with JRiver Media Center (JRMC) as music player, manager, & server software. An iPad Air with JRemote is used as a remote control.

2. The still-digitized music is sent (streamed) over the network and must be received in the music-listening room by a "renderer" (in my case, the microRendu) which converts the "data stream" into digital music. It is then sent to a directly connected digital-to-analog converter (a.k.a. DAC - in my case, the Emotiva Stealth DC-1) which is then connected to your amp & speakers.

In short: Win10/JRMC HTPC with internal flac library > ethernet cable > router > ethernet cable > microRendu > USB cable > DC-1 DAC > RCA or Balanced cable > amp & speakers; controlled by iPad Air/JRemote.

Is this a configuration you could live with? If not, why; and what would you do differently?

Thank you.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

@plissken, you're usually right on but I don't understand your advice above. His configuration is fine. He has a server (PC/JRMC) and a renderer (mRendu). He's controlling with a tablet running JRemote. He needs no more/no less. How are the "Windows 10 / JRMC and the Micro Rendu ... redundant"? One is a server, the other a renderer.

I thank you both for your replies.

I don't get this either. Isn't it true the music library needs to be streamed to the microR from a computer or NAS? In fact, I don't even think a portable USB drive with music files can be connected to the microR, as is the case with the Cambridge CXN. And second: the HTPC is already in place but in a separate room, and the music library is already stored within, so this isn't something I have to go out and buy.

What am I missing?

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

It's because decent NAS units now days have back end services like Twonky, SMB, etc... built in. So, potentially, the JRiver PC could be omitted.

If the JRiver PC going to also be the server offering UPnP/DNLA/Twonky/SMB etc then the setup is fine.

Ahhh. This is the case. JRiver is acting as server. It's DNLA compliant, certified, or whatever the term.

Thank you!

It's because decent NAS units now days have back end services like Twonky, SMB, etc... built in. So, potentially, the JRiver PC could be omitted.

If the JRiver PC going to also be the server offering UPnP/DNLA/Twonky/SMB etc then the setup is fine.

So if this is all good, and one already owns the router/amp/speakers/iPad/cables, the total cost is $1200 (microRendu $700, DC-1 $500). Note: this particular DAC is unusual in that it omits the need for one piece of hardware necessary in most other configurations: a re-clocker such as W4S's $250.00 model. Correct?

. The Windows 10 / JRMC and the Micro Rendu seem to be redundant as they are the same class of product. That is they are both 'rendering endpoints'.

The Mrendu is remote controlled directly. I would go with a NAS (I use Netgear) and either the Win10 / JRMC (Which is what I use) or the MicroRendu.

This setup is what I'm currently using in my WireWorld thread where I'm swapping out a 12 foot $330 cable with a 315 foot $90 cable I terminated myself with great results either way. I fed another machine with and ADC and the output is posted as a download. Same could be done with the Mrendu. Using the Emotiva DC-1 also.

I think either way you will be happy with the results. I would let what you think the best UI experience drive the purchase decision.

Here's where inexperience is getting the better of me.

I thought my iDevice would be controlling the JRMC server, but that's incorrect from your bolded statement above, and that does make sense. To clarify; will my iPad be controlling the microRendu which in turn will control the server? If so, this forces me to trade JRemote for Sonore's user interface app. If this is correct, do you know how Sonore's UI compares with JRiver's?

You can setup DNLA on JRiver with the MRendu as an end point/zone. That's a workable solution.

Are you attempting multi-zone?

Negative, though I may want to do that later. I just read Chris Connaker's in-depth review of the microRendu followed by several pages of comments. I think I made it to page 4. Somewhere in between, Chris mentioned he'd used JRiver to drive the microRendu during his assessment. Between Chris' stellar review and the many happy buyers, I'm quite sold.

Thanks for the help.

I thought in your other thread you were a bit down on JRMC UI...

On the contrary. Jriver has always been a joy to use. I'm looking to escape the pitfalls of the pc. It seems like half the time I wake the pc up to play music, I find it must first be restarted before it can work properly. Very frustrating, and it kills the mood. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

My goal was simplicity as well. ARAULiC Altair with an internal SSD connected to an amplifier and controlled with Lightning DS via iPad. I have the Altair on my network so I can transfer downloaded and ripped music and also stream Tidal.

The Altair looks like an excellent solution as does the Lumin D1. I wish it were possible to hear them side by side with the Rendu/DC-1 combo.

I use low wattage systems and kill power saving. I'm about to proactively replace my 2.0 PC. I built it in 2009 and it's been running 24X7 almost non stop.

You don't necessarily have a PC problem. You have an implementation issue.

I'm sure your correct. The problem in my case is that my renderer is an under-powered and long-in-the-tooth netBook in need of replacement. I hate changing audio configurations and thus decided to take this opportunity to replace it with something designed exclusively for audio playback. Only time will tell, but I believe research (much of it here) has proven very fruitful.

First, I found the Aurelic Aries Mini renderer with built-in dac, a bargain at $500. Then I learned a relatively expensive PSU upgrade would be a huge improvement. I soon concluded it would be smarter to replace the PSU upgrade with a Stealth DC-1 for its better dac, hardware volume, analog inputs, and balanced output. The highly regarded Cambridge CXN offers all of this in a single box, however, further research brought me back to the Aries Mini+DC-1 combo. And, finally (?), discovery of the microRendu; a stellar match to the DC-1 at a combined cost of $1190.

This is now a quest for proper, as you say, "implementation" of the microRendo and DC-1.

Thanks All!

I don't know if you mentioned an old netbook in the other thread... ...It's just tough helping sometimes because the goal, the setup in real terms, the real root issues come out of the woodwork bit by bit instead of right away.

Sorry about that. I did fail to mention the limping netBook.

I can't see any thing wrong with this setup apart from JRMC on the PC, requiring it to be on all the time, albeit it's located away from the listening room.

As other have suggested I'd go for a NAS. Use the PC and JRMC to rip, tag etc the files, but host them on the NAS.

When it comes to playback, the Synology like most of them has DNLA capability. Use that or ROON or JRMC on a headless NUC or Pi, and an IOS app into the microRendu and on to the DAC.

I rarely use JRMC for playback, as I also have Sonos and their IOS app brings together my music , Spotify and Qubos, though Critically not my hi res stuff. For critical listening though, I use the Synology app directly into my DNLA receiver. I'm contemplating a MR to take the receiver out of the loop directly into my TEAC DAC.

Just can't work out whether the mR or the SonicOrbiter would be enough .

I would greatly appreciate it if you would clarify a few things for me as well as anyone who may stumble across this thread in the future who might be as confused as I, which may be my fault for not being clearer in my original post.

I can't see any thing wrong with this setup apart from JRMC on the PC, requiring it to be on all the time, albeit it's located away from the listening room.

To clarify, are you saying a) JRMC shouldn't be used at all, or b) should be install somewhere other than the HTPC? If the latter, where else would it be installed? I'm also a bit confused by "requiring it to be on all the time", but I'll leave that alone.

As other have suggested I'd go for a NAS. Use the PC and JRMC to rip, tag etc the files, but host them on the NAS.

To clarify, what benefits would I gain that would justify the expense of purchasing a NAS vs. an HTPC which a) I already own, b) already runs 24/7, c) already runs JRMC, and d) already contains my music library?

When it comes to playback, the Synology like most of them has DNLA capability. Use that or ROON or JRMC on a headless NUC or Pi, and an IOS app into the microRendu and on to the DAC.

Are you saying a) I should replace my HTPC with a NAS AND a NUC or Pi? or b) I should replace the HTPC AND microRendu with a NAS AND NUC or Pi? And why would it be superior to the HTPC + microRendu?

Gary,

In response to your questions, I'll give you my view:

(1) Your PC/JRMC + Microrendu is a good solution. Folks will give you lots of other ideas, but what you have is very good software (JRMC) and hardware (Microrendu). If you're happy, then there's no reason to do anything else.

(2) If you were do start over, a NAS would have been a good alternative to your HTPC. A NAS excels at file sharing, is low power, and is much cheaper to run 24/7 than your HTPC. Since you have the HTPC, you are correct that there's little reason to add a NAS to the mix.

(3) I don't think there's any reason to go to a NUC or a RPi -- they are redundant with what you have and would only have been considerations if you wanted to start over.

Now, what could you do to refine your set-up . . .

(A) Instead of using JRMC as a server on your HTPC, install Minimserver. Minimserver can replace JRMC (as a server, not a library manager) and is a much lighter application. You then can use the BubbleUPNP app to control the Microrendu and also get the ability to stream Tidal (something JRemote doesn't do). If you don't like the BubbleUPNP app, you can add BubbleUPNP Server to the HTPC and then use an app like Linn Kazoo. To be clear, you would still use JRMC for library management.

(B) Add Audiophile Optimizer and/or Fidelizer Pro to your HTPC. These applications optimize the use of computer resources and strip out unnecessary services. Many people find this improves sound quality by reducing noise generated by the unnecessary services.

© Add an Uptone Audio LPS-1 to the Microrendu. The ultra-cap LPS ensures clean power is going into the Microrendu. There are tons of testimonials as to the benefit of doing this.

(D) Optimize you network with better cabling. Replace your CAT5e cable with something better (CAT6/6A/7/8) or fiber optic. These solutions attempt to limit the ability of noise to be introduced into or transferred down your network.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write such a detailed and thoughtful response. Yours may prove to be one of the most helpful posts I've read on this subject, and a long journey it has been. The suggestions under your "B" response will almost certainly be implemented after a little research.

One final question regarding your "A" response:

I hear you that there are other applications that may serve me better than using JRMC as an all-in-one solution. If I am to use these other applications in tandem with JRMC for file management only (which is the main reason I like it so much), would JRMC be installed on the PC, and would I be using JRemote on the iPad to control it, or a different app that somehow uses JRMC's file management?

Thanks everyone. I want to share what I believe is the winner for me. It may seem I'm over thinking this but I tend to keep things for 10+ years. I'm the antithesis of an upgraditis patient and a cheap bastard to boot. I need to get this right the first time.

Based on your invaluable input as well as other research, my upgrade path starting with current system is described below.

Current system: HTPC (server) > ethernet > router > ethernet > netBook (renderer) > AQ Forrest USB > Schiit Modi 2 (DAC) > AQ Forrest RCA > Luxman R-117 (preamp/poweramp) > speaker cable > B&W 685 S2

Upgrade path

1. Purchase Audiophile Optimizer for HTPC

2. Replace current renderer (netBook) with microRendu+stock psu (or SotM SMS-200)

3. Replace current DAC as well as preamp (Schiit Modi 2) with Emotiva DC-1 connected directly to Luxman's poweramp via "Main In"

4. If SotM SMS-200 was chosen, add Uptone Regen

5. Upgrade renderer's power supply to Uptone LPS-1 (applies to both mR and SMS-200)

6. Install EN-70HD Ethernet Optimizer before renderer

7. Replace poweramp, speakers, and speaker cable with balanced cable + JBL LSR305 or LSR308

8. Replace HTPC with NAS

Final: NAS > ethernet > router > ethernet > EN-70HD > ethernet > microRendu+LPS-1 (or SMS-200+LPS-1+Regen) > USB cable > DC-1 DAC > balanced cables > JBL LSR305/8 (iPad + software tbd)

Any confirmations, corrections, or redirections would be appreciated.

Thank you all!

Gary

gary,

i think your plan will work nicely. one thing to note is that if you're going to get a nas, you really don't need your htpc. you can store your files on the nas and run minimserver on the nas, eliminating the need for the htpc. the only thing you would need a pc (it could be any pc) for is to run jrmc to manage your library. so don't think you need audiophile optimizer (as good of a product as it is).

jim

That makes perfect sense. I put that on the menu only because it may be a year or more before getting around to a NAS, but I'll deep six it. Thank you for taking the time.

Gary