IGNORED

Sonic transporter for HQP directly into DAC??

Shredder

Morning. I am considering a setup where i run my Sonictransporter server (customized for HQP/Roon, fanless/silent, i7, quad core) directly to my DAC by USB. I am considering that because I want to run DSD 512 and the Microrendu can't play 512 on the dacs I am considering (T+A DSD * or Lampi Atlantic). A few forum members suggested that this set up could work in a post in the DSP section (Network requirements for 512). At the same time, i have read elsewhere that the ST may not be great used this way.

Based on my prior post, I feel confident that such a setup will work with many music servers. Just wondering if anyone has experience doing this with the ST? Would love to know how it works and what issues, if any it creates? Is there any need to address power issues (power cord, power supply, power filter, etc).

Thanks in advance for the input.

Morning. I am considering a setup where i run my Sonictransporter server (customized for HQP/Roon, fanless/silent, i7, quad core) directly to my DAC by USB. I am considering that because I want to run DSD 512 and the Microrendu can't play 512 on the dacs I am considering (T+A DSD * or Lampi Atlantic). A few forum members suggested that this set up could work in a post in the DSP section (Network requirements for 512). At the same time, i have read elsewhere that the ST may not be great used this way.

Based on my prior post, I feel confident that such a setup will work with many music servers. Just wondering if anyone has experience doing this with the ST? Would love to know how it works and what issues, if any it creates? Is there any need to address power issues (power cord, power supply, power filter, etc).

Thanks in advance for the input.

Hi Shredder.

You should list ALL the details of your ST so people can see if there could be any issues for you.

But, from your other postings on this...it looks like you have a W10/i7 quad core. Though it does matter what the processor speed is. Also how much RAM?

USB ports. USB2 or USB3? Ideally you would want both.

But lets look at it from another way.

W10

i7 1600K Quad Core

16GB RAM

USB2 or above

If you have that you should be good to go with both of those DACs. But are you using the ST OS or W10 with Roon and HQP. If the later then again you are fine in this case.

As far as power cords, PS, etc, that depends on which ones and taste. Some of those can improve the performance of both the DACs and the ST.

Hope this helps.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Thanks guys. Just want to get this right.

The ST fits all your suspected specs and also has 32 gb ram. W10 not St os. Not exactly sure of speed-does not say on site, but it is a Skylake i7 quad core. The whole pint of the server is to process HQP and I have been told it is blazing fast doing that. Has 4 usb ports, but not sure if they are 2 or 3.

I have anti-cable power cords on my components and they helped lower the noise floor. Would one improve ST sq? Would one make sense for the Regen?

Thanks for the Regen suggestion. Does seem to fit the bill. Any idea of power supply upgrades help there?

Thanks again.

Thanks guys. Just want to get this right.

The ST fits all your suspected specs and also has 32 gb ram. W10 not St os. Not exactly sure of speed-does not say on site, but it is a Skylake i7 quad core. The whole pint of the server is to process HQP and I have been told it is blazing fast doing that. Has 4 usb ports, but not sure if they are 2 or 3.

I have anti-cable power cords on my components and they helped lower the noise floor. Would one improve ST sq? Would one make sense for the Regen?

Thanks for the Regen suggestion. Does seem to fit the bill. Any idea of power supply upgrades help there?

Thanks again.

Well Skylake come in a few speeds and the lower ones are fine for DSD256 but not for DSD512 you need the 6700K.

32Gb of RAM is overkill, at this time, but RAM is cheap. I would ask them what Skylake it is.

You can tell which USB ports are 3 by the color. USB are usually colored blue.

IIR the ST has an outboard PS. If so then you should get an improvement depending on what one you use. Can you check on the spec. What volts and amps it needs.

I can HIGHLY recommend the JS-1 by UpTone. But it is up there in cost. I actually have one that I am not using and have been meaning to list for sale so this just reminded me,lol.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Yes, that rules out the JS-1.

Look, I understand that is what they told you but it would only benefit you to know exactly what they gave you. I can not see why they would not be forthcoming on what processor that YOU paid for.

I have seen so many others on here say, "oh it can handle DSD512" then later they find out it can handle it sometimes and with only certain HQP filters etc.

Otherwise you could be rolling the dice. Just saying.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

My random thoughts,

One issue is cost and need for additional components if your going to leave out the renderer or NAA option. If your DAC doesn't have galvanic isolation your going to need an Intona with USB streaming. Then I would want an audio USB card in my PC and power the card/Intona with an LPS-1. If adding a Regen another LPS-1 for it. Adds up quick. I'm not a big fan of upsampling. It's got it's problems. Power supply for PC, renderer isn't capable, Linux, extra noise created with needed bigger power supply, just to name a few. Whereas bit perfect, you can go low power, renderer or not. You have more better component choices. Just may be that at this time the bit perfect route sounds better SQ wise overall, system dependent, you have more choices and probably cheaper overall.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Confirmed at 6600K. Good to go.

BTW, i think the Small Green Computers guys are great. As are their products.

So, i think i need to chill and pick a DAC. I tracked down a T+A to audition. I amy also try out a Regen.

Thanks for the help.

Might also consider one of these to power the sonicTransporter (12v) & Regen (variable 9v adjusted to 7.5v).

HDPLEX Fanless Linear Power Supply for PC Audio and CE device

Might also consider one of these to power the sonicTransporter (12v) & Regen (variable 9v adjusted to 7.5v).

HDPLEX Fanless Linear Power Supply for PC Audio and CE device

Depends on your overall electrical setup. But from experience, without an isolation transformer, I wouldn't recommend the HDPlex for the Regen and not perfect for the PC, I have used all of them except for isolation transformer, soon. With an isolation transformer, maybe??? Either a battery mod for the Regen or LPS-1, depends on the DAC's needs.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)