IGNORED

Do you know any albums with DR more extreme than that.?

Just to make sure no one misunderstands: the albums are just resold by HD Tracks, they have nothing to do with the production and DR level. The record label is responsible for that. HDT is just selling what they are provided with by the distributor.

I know of albums that have 18 DR rating

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

There are CDs with DR0. Just go to the Dynamic Range Database website and have the results listed by ascending DR value:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

The most dynamic CD I've heard myself is Luigi Nono : Fragmente - Stille, An Diotima (La Salle string quartet, Deutsche Grammophon): DR27

But it's hardly a spectacular experience. The high DR value is due to the nature of the music: mostly extremely quiet, interrupted by a few loud outbursts. Hard to listen to without using the volume knob.

CDs with the most dynamic range! | Page 30 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Claude

the results listed by ascending DR value:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

OMG..

The most dynamic CD I've heard myself is Luigi Nono : Fragmente - Stille, An Diotima (La Salle string quartet, Deutsche Grammophon): DR27

And one of the track's DR is 31! I checked out 10min. of this recording on my laptop - it's quite an intriguing composition.

Reference Recordings releases frequently have DR of 25 or higher. For example, their Stravinsky Firebird and Rite of Spring are around DR 27. In that instance, the high DR serves the music, which is intended to be extremely dynamic and sounds best when it is recorded and played back that way. This high DR of course requires a very quiet listening space and tolerant housemates (or a listening room in the basement).

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One of the new features of Roon 1.3 (I believe it is new) is to include the DR information for each album. Very interesting to see.

But it is a different calculation than the one at the loudness wars site, is it not? I think they aren't directly comparable.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

An interesting observation. Roon defines "DR" in a fairly intuitive way as simply the difference measured in decibels between the softest and loudest levels of a track (or averaged for all the tracks in an album). That seems reasonable to me; if I can hear the lowest levels of an orchestral recording without straining, they are likely hitting my listening position at around 50 or 60 dB. If I am listening this way to a Reference Recordings performance with a DR of 27 (as Roon defines "DR"), then the peaks during the big crescendos are about 77 to 87 dB. If I crank it a bit to simulate sitting in the front row, then maybe it is peaking around 107 dB. That seems reasonable to me as a way to evaluate a recording's dynamic range in a realistic home playback scenario. How are the "loudness wars" folks defining "DR?"

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

According to dr.loudness-war.info the album with highest single track's DR is Acheron 'Anti-god, Anti-christ' (1996). One of the album's track has absolutely diabolic DR - 36.

Allmusic.com:

At first glance, Acheron seemed like your run-of-the-mill, early-'90s death metal band -- no different from hundreds of others ripening like so many oranges under the Florida sunshine. But a closer look quickly revealed the group's altogether more sinister mission, one that reflected the devil-worshipping ways of leader and guitarist Vincent Crowley, who, in his spare time, helmed a Satanic youth group named "the Order of the Evil Eye." Starting out in 1988, Crowley teamed up with his brother-in-darkness (and occasional electronic music composer) Peter Gilmore to disseminate his belief system using Acheron's brutal death metal music, which included a number of popular demos before the unleashing of their Rites of the Black Mass debut in 1991. Subsequent albums Satanic Victory (1993) and Lex Talionis (1995) followed in short order, each featuring a revolving cast of musicians supporting the core duo, and delivering competent, if hardly groundbreaking death/black metal. In fact, Crowley's anti-Christian views tended to gain him far more notoriety than his music, and around this time, he was appointed a priest in the Church of Satan by none other than its founder, the infamous Anton Szandor LaVey himself. Over the ensuing years, Crowley committed more time to debating local televangelists than writing music, so that Acheron's output was reduced to 1998's Those Who Have Risen, and 2003's Rebirth: Metamorphosing Into Godhood.

Taking all of this into account I'm quite suprised the guys didn't go for DR-666

:) errr... \m/ .. ok-to make it completly clear:

_47864659_sign_getty466.jpg

Check them out for yourselves if you want to (I'm too scared to do it)