IGNORED

Interface Help

Hi,

I'm about to build a new PC based music server and am confused about the various interfaces and options. After studying various forums and researching the net, I have come up with some possible configurations on which I need advise. These are:

1) Apogee Mini-Dac Firewire to connect from computer to Apogee by firewire and XLR analog output to preamp.

2) Lynx AES-16 card in computer with dual AES/EBU to EMM DCC2 using the DCC2 clock connected to the lynx.

3) Lynx AES-16 card using single AES/EBU to digital input of existing Cary SACD 306 PRO with digital inputs.

Which of these would be the best option and would the Apogee match up to the EMM? The Apogee or Lynx are the most economical options.

Thanks.

Server | EMM | Dartzeel | Evolution Acoustics

Based on hearing the Apogee and the 306/200, which is two steps back from your Cary, the Apogee will not sound as good. If you like the sound of your Cary, then I would definitely keep it and just get a decent interface. You aren't limited to the Lynx. Some people have reported that the Empirical Audio products (pacecar or offramp) give more "you're there" factor than the lynx, another reported that the Antelope Audio DA improved on his Lynx output, so there are many options to explore to hook up the Cary. The Lynx by itself I'm sure will perform excellently as well.

I am also always interested in ta comparison of different interfaces! It would be great to have some comparisons on different interfaces using the same legacy dac. eg:

pci soundcards:

- lynx aes

- rme aes

firewire interface:

- weiss afi1

- rme fireface

usb:

- offramp

- dcs paganini clock

- wavelength link

Maybe Chris could comment on his experience comparing the dcs paganini with the lynx (see latest review)? Maybe others have experience with other A/B comparisons?

One other question that I would have regarding the same topic is a theoretical one. Why would an Antelope DA increase sound quality? It receives an spdif signal and optionally a clock and outputs an spdif signal and a clock (my understanding). If you have a high quality dac with a good clock and receiver, how can re-clocking help? You are introducing another pair of cables, power supplies, etc into your chain!