IGNORED

Main Problems with DACs??

The OP is debating audio quality per pound of product, which doesn't work. If the price you're willing to afford is $3500, what type of sound do you expect? Some designs take years to bring to market, only to be superceded by a simpler technique that requires less parts, but to get to that stage could have taken months, to save $1.99 in hardware.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

What are the major design issues with modern DACs?

(including the analog stage)

I am wondering what spending $1,000 or $6,000 or $35,000 does in terms of different circuitry.

As we all know, much of the audiophile world has a bit of hype. So many times, higher cost just means you're paying more.

We'd like to think we're getting better parts but oftentimes we're getting different parts in a gilded case.

I can tell you that I never thought there were such audible differences in DACs, amps and the like until I started paying over $1,000 for separates.

Major design issues I would classify as system compatibility, room acoustic software compatibility. Power supplies seem to be a really weak point for most DAC's upwards of $4,000 don't come with linear, low ripple power supplies.

Another thing to consider is grounding and power line noise issues can make a larger impact on sound than any tech in the DAC's but that's off topic. I certainly hope one has dedicated lines and a properly grounded system if one is spending beyond a few $k on just the DAC...

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

What are the major design issues with modern DACs?

(including the analog stage)

I am wondering what spending $1,000 or $6,000 or $35,000 does in terms of different circuitry.

Digital signal integrity including clocks and their power supplies...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz