IGNORED

Which cartridge and stylus for turntable VPI Classic / JMW-10.5i?

eschreye

After more than 10 years of Pro-Ject 1 Xpression, taking the plunge for a VPI Classic turntable with JMW-10.5i arm. Actually this upgrade relates to the vinyl rip project that ultimately will make available my vinyl collection on the NAS and streamer.

Would greatly appreciate advice on which cartridge and stylus to fit on the JMW-10.5i unipivot tone arm.

I listen primarily to classical, opera, jazz, chanson and less to rock & pop.

Many thanks in advance,

Eric

I have an Aries 3 with JMW 10.5i arm. Without hesitation I'd recommend any of the current Lyra cartridges.

I've been delighted with Lyra's cartridges for many years. My first Lyra was actually the mono Helikon that I mounted on a second JMW10.5i arm tube. I liked it so much that I later replaced the Clearaudio mounted on the other arm tube with the stereo version of the Helikon. The stereo Helikon then got replaced by a Lyra Skala, which is in place presently. It's an awesome cartridge.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Sorry, did not mention budget. I would like to stay around or below the 1.500 € frontier.

Thanks for advice

Eric

In my VPI Traveler, I used a Grado Master V2 Reference Wood Body Phono Cartridge and found it an ideal match at $1K. It's worth giving it a listen. Grado's are moving iron (variable reluctance) with low moving mass and good output.[h=2][/h]

George

I'm a fan of Dynavector cartridges. But I'm a rocker, so what do I know?

I have a VPI Classic 1 with a Dynavector XX-2MK2 which is an amazing combo. Have also heard the Dynavector 20X2 on the VPI Classic and that sounds fantastic as well. I listen to more 50/60s jazz than anything else and for that Dynavector/VPI is a great combination.

It's really tough to go wrong these days with cartridges in the OP's price range from the manufacturers already mentioned in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Harry Weisfeld of VPI likes the Soundsmith Zephyr line, I believe, designed for the VPI TT and arms. There are both high output and low output versions. I am using the Zephyr II in my Classic 3 with 3D arm. Very nice. I think my Lyra Skala was better, but at more than 3 times the price, and signficicantly above your price range. Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files