IGNORED

mini-STX machines

The though of making a custom server board has crossed my mind, but not a credit card size one, not for direct output, and certainly not for video playback:)

The new mini-STX boards will handle an i7-6700 65 watt HQplayer upsampling capable processor. While not credit card sized, the 5 x 5 inch footprint is pretty small.

Way cool!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

The new mini-STX boards will handle an i7-6700 65 watt HQplayer upsampling capable processor. While not credit card sized, the 5 x 5 inch footprint is pretty small.

Way cool!

Do you know if there are any mini STX boards for the 7th gen Intel procs? Also, have you seen any mini STX fanless cases?

Do you know if there are any mini STX boards for the 7th gen Intel procs? Also, have you seen any mini STX fanless cases?

Sure there are ASRock and Asus mini-STX motherboards and barebone PC's designed for i7-7700 65 watt processors.

Start googling, you will be surprised by what's out there.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Sure there are ASRock and Asus mini-STX motherboards and barebone PC's designed for i7-7700 65 watt processors.

Start googling, you will be surprised by what's out there.

That's the thing, I have. The 7th gen procs are paired with the 200 series chipset. All the mini stx boards out there use the 100 series chipset. Apparently the bios of the 100 series can be updated to support the 7th gen procs but then you still get the older chipset.

I've found mini ITX boards with the 200 series chipset but those boards don't support the 19v external power supply.

Kind of stuck now it seems unless someone knows of a board that supports 7th gen proc, 200 series chipset and has the 19v power interface.

The mini-STX machines use the Intel h110 chipset. Why do you need the 200 chipset?

To support some of the Kaby Lake features. From what I'm readying the benefits of Kaby Lake vs Sky Lake may be negligible if at all for the real need of a an i7, or hyperthreading, which is upsampling to DSD512. Otherwise a Sky Lake i5 would be just fine. So it depends on what your media server will be doing. Video processing would definitely benefit from the Kaby Lake if that's your thing.

Intel's 200-Series Chipsets