IGNORED

Recommendation for orchestral DSD download

shp

Looking for a really well-done orchestral DSD download.

I have most of Beethoven's symphonies and some Schubert but I'm open to just about any composer.

Any recommendations?

Yes but how about a suggestion of what you want, not what you already have?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

If your main bias is sound quality, whatever you download from Pentatone is excellent and you have it in stereo and multichannel: sure you will find there something you like.

If you are looking for some specific composers, orchestras, directors you should specify them to get some helpful answers.

Ivan Fischer's Mahler is pretty well done both SQ-wise and musically.

You may want to specify what you're looking for when you say "well done" are you referring to SQ or the interpretation?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Agree with the Ivan Fischer recommendations on Channel Classics, particularly if you want orchestral music that was recorded in DSD and sold as DSD, Channel's website is NativeDSD which also includes many labels which also offer native DSD recordings. Most, like most all of Channel's, are DSD64 and many are also available as SACD's.

If you are interested in some great performances from the golden era of analogue transferred to DSD, including DSD256, then HDTT (highdeftapetransfers.com) has quite a few orchestral recordings from the late '50's to late '70's which were transferred from 15ips 2 track tapes to DSD. The great Joseph Krips Schubert 9th Symphony from 1958 and David Oistrakh's Beethoven Violin Concerto on EMI from about the same period are recent releases. Quite a few more.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm not a frequent classical music listener but I do like Beethoven, Chopin's polonaises (prefer Pollini to Argerich), and Schubert's cello/piano sonate. Some Rachmaninov (Argerich). I have several Segovia CD's and, if you want to count neo-classical, plenty of Yngwie ;).

So my request is vague because I don't know what I'm looking for besides a recording with a good balance of quality work/interpretation and sound quality. What's the Jazz at the Pawnshop of orchestral DSD downloads?

I'll check out some of your recommendations.

Thank you

Scott

Check out all of the recent Pittsburgh Symphony releases (Tchaikovsky / Dvorak, Strauss, Bruckner, Beethoven) - all very well recorded and excellent content.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Seconded on the Honeck/Pittsburgh SO releases on Reference Recordings. I have their Beethoven 5&7 and SQ-wise it is very impressive.

Their new Strauss Elektra and Der Rosenkavalier is very good, too.

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

Hi everyone

Just reviewing everyone's recommendations. In the end I chose:

* https://pentatone.nativedsd.com/albums/ptc5186002mozart-symphonies

* https://referencerecordings.nativedsd.com/albums/dvorak-janacek and

* https://referencerecordings.nativedsd.com/albums/FR718SACD-beethoven-symphony-no-5-and-no-7

I also discovered that High Def Tape Transfers has DNS problems:

* Entering highdeftapetransfers.com into your browser takes you to a disabled Shopify site.

* Entering http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com (or navigating via a web search engine) takes you to their site.

If anyone from HDTT is reading this thread, please have your network/DNS provider make that adjustment.

Thanks for the advice.

Scott