IGNORED

SPDIF iPurifier - where is the best place to connect it in my system?

I figured a picture is worth a bunch of words. Please see the attachment. Computer 1 is mainly for playback and computer 2 is for recording and playback. The picture shows where the SPDIF iPurifier is connected now. Thoughts on the overall best place for it? Thanks!

P.S. I need to update my signature one of these days - not quite accurate any more...

comp audio diagram.jpg

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

MacBook Pro--Sierra--optical output cable-->

Raspberry Pi 2--Pixel--USB output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

--Denon AH-A100 headphones

I figured a picture is worth a bunch of words. Please see the attachment. Computer 1 is mainly for playback and computer 2 is for recording and playback. The picture shows where the SPDIF iPurifier is connected now. Thoughts on the overall best place for it? Thanks!

P.S. I need to update my signature one of these days - not quite accurate any more...

I would place it right at either the coaxial or optical inputs of the dac. A second SPDIF iPurifier would cover both options :)

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

I would place it right at either the coaxial or optical inputs of the dac. A second SPDIF iPurifier would cover both options :)
Thanks for the reply Liam. I decided - for now at least - to connect it to the Chromecast Audio (CCA) unit in the upstairs system.

CCA > short optical cable > SPDIF iPurifier > longer optical cable > Denon AVR-1909 receiver

I am using the iPower adapter that came with the SPDIF iPurifier to feed a small four-port USB hub which is feeding power to both the CCA and the iPurifier. 2.5A is lots of current for the two units and sound is very nice so far.

Wondering if the folks at AMR/iFi Audio can comment on whether it's best to connect the SPDIF iPurifier closer to the source or to the input. Thanks!

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

Thanks for the reply Liam. I decided - for now at least - to connect it to the Chromecast Audio (CCA) unit in the upstairs system.

CCA > short optical cable > SPDIF iPurifier > longer optical cable > Denon AVR-1909 receiver

I am using the iPower adapter that came with the SPDIF iPurifier to feed a small four-port USB hub which is feeding power to both the CCA and the iPurifier. 2.5A is lots of current for the two units and sound is very nice so far.

Wondering if the folks at AMR/iFi Audio can comment on whether it's best to connect the SPDIF iPurifier closer to the source or to the input. Thanks!

Well no question in my mind but that the best place for the SPDIF iPurifier is right at the input, no matter what comes before it. The whole idea is to correct all that can go wrong in the generation and transmission of the data, so best place for that to take place is right at the final input to minimise errors. For example optical cables alone are considered to be susceptible to introducing jitter, so in my opinion having the SPDIF iPurifier at the further end away of an optical cable is not best practice.

I realise that in the configuration you outlined, if you were to follow my recommendation, that you would not be able to supply power from the iPower to both the CCA and the SPDIF iPurifier. Any reasonable correct voltage and adequate current power supply should be ok for the CCA, because it will be isolated from the input to the Denon by the optical cable, irrespective even of the galvanic isolation built into the SPDIF iPurifier itself. Therefore I would also put the power adapter just before the SPDIF iPurifier at the input to the Denon.

If you haven't already, have a read of this....

Accessory – SPDIF iPurifier

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Thanks Liam - for your original reply and for the added info in the edit :)

Don't use the optical out from iPurifier, the best option is to plug it's RCA out directly into the DAC coaxial input.

Any optical input will add jitter compared to a coax input, especially with longer optical cables, and that includes your AVR optical inputs.

Using the coaxial output of iPurifier avoids generating jitter after the device, in the optical converter.

PS: I am using independent power supplies for my CCA and the iPurifier, the ones that came with the devices.

Thank you for the first-hand info!