IGNORED

buffering issues killing my enjoyment, help!

hi,

it's a long time since I've posted on here but the advice in the past has helped me get into and enjoy digital music. I have for while now been running my streaming system without issue. I was running J River MC 16 on a ASUS laptop connected to a Chord Qute DAC fed into a NAIM Suppernait connected to PMC 24's. I am using flac files fed from a Synology NAS to the laptop. Connections are via powerline using ethernet connections. The powerline adapters are all gigabit versions. The router was a Sky router (100mbps). This has served me well without issue.

Recently, I replaced the laptop for a Lenovo with SSD and gigtbit ethernet connection. Since then I now get regular stuttering of playback and buffering which is driving me mad. The only change I can see is that the laptop by necessity is plugged into a good quality block which also has the amp, dac and oppo bluray player. Previously the laptop was plugged into it's own wall socket. I have updated the laptops drivers.

Last week I also updated the router to a new gigabit Sky router. I had to reconnnect the powerline adapters. Stuttering is worse than ever.

I assume the fault is that the data is not getting through to the laptop and Dac in a consistent flow. Can anyone offer any advice as to what the assumed network issue is? Any advice gratefully received.

cheers Jamie

Based upon my understanding this is most often caused by latency issues with a given PC. The first thing I'd suggest is to check out this site which explains the issue in detail and provides free software to test your PC for related issues. It's pretty easy and straight forward to determine if that is actually the cause of your problem, but unfortunately resolving the identified problems can be more difficult. I chose to find a laptop that was suitable in this regard rather than trying to fix one that wasn't. Hope this helps!

Run the MSCONFIG utility and turn off all the start up services and programs.

Youtube will certainly have a video on this ir you use msconfig as the search term.

Kill all the stuff you don't need and try it out.

Also have you don't any testing of the network? Ping times to the NAS, transfer rate from the NAS to the computer?

Alternately you can PM me and I could give you 15 minutes with a remote desktop sharing session and could take a look and see if the issue is easily pinpointed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I rebooted everything at the weekend, tried different sockets, reset the powerline adapters, etc. I did have some limited success but not total. I'll check out the info you posted and see what that throws up. I am working away for a few days but hopefully get chance later this week. Thanks again, Jamie

hi

well I've ran that software whilst the laptop was connected by ethernet via powerline plugs. I fired up J River and then kicked off Latency Mon. I played some music for about 10 minutes without buffering. However, the results suggest issues. I've attached the screen shots. Any idea what to do next?? I have tried to attach the screen print but not sure iv'e got it right either!

Screenshot (16).png

cheers Jamie

hi

well I've ran that software whilst the laptop was connected by ethernet via powerline plugs. I fired up J River and then kicked off Latency Mon. I played some music for about 10 minutes without buffering. However, the results suggest issues. I've attached the screen shots. Any idea what to do next?? I have tried to attach the screen print but not sure iv'e got it right either!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33136[/ATTACH]

cheers Jamie

Did you fire up msconfig and disable non-ms items for starts? What does performance monitor look like?

hi, no not got to that yet. TBH it sounded a bit scary! I've tried to address the above (there was some info on line about avoiding CPU throttling) but I will look to follow your advice next. I've been a bit stretched for time this week also. Are you suggesting running performance monitoring after I've disabled non essentials?

cheers

hi, no not got to that yet. TBH it sounded a bit scary! I've tried to address the above (there was some info on line about avoiding CPU throttling) but I will look to follow your advice next. I've been a bit stretched for time this week also. Are you suggesting running performance monitoring after I've disabled non essentials?

cheers

Before or after doesn't matter. Just want to garner some sort of baseline.

There's not a huge amount on start up. I couple of pieces of security related software, superantispyware and Avira. But other stuff seems logical and not excessive. Performance looks ok on CPU useage (2-3%) when simply on the internet like now but RAM is running at 30% at that time. I'll look again tomorrow when I have more time and can run performance when I'm actually streaming music. The latency software indicates SVCHOST.EXE is taking a long time and causing hard page faults. This .exe contains a multitude of services that I wouldn't have a clue whether it was safe to disable or not.

I have to say having to go into this level of analysis is why I was unsure about going down the streaming route. It's great when it works but a nightmare when it doesn't. I've changed a laptop to a better one, in theory, and yet have this irritating issue that is not easy to resolve.

cheers

Hi, excuse my ignorance but what is the NIC? One think I noticed last night is the powerline adapters were flickering Amber at the point of buffering. That suggests a slower transfer rate I think but could that be reflecting the issue with the laptop or be part of the problem. Reducing the LAN bit rate would help isolate the issue but feels strange getting a gigabit LAN to then not benefit from it.

I loaded some new software I haven't previously used, AVIRA security software when I got the laptop, I wonder if that could be causing latency issues?

Cheers

hi, there are a host of options that may or may not have an impact on NIC;

GIGABITE LITE - ENABLED? What does this do?

Interrupt modulation - enabled?

Speed and duplex - auto negotiation?

Jumbo Frame - disabled?

Any thoughts?

Disable Gigabite lite, disable Speed/Duplex auto negotiation. Set for 10/100 - Full Duplex. Leave Jumbo Frames disabled (you have to have your entire network setup correctly for Jumbo Frames).