IGNORED

13.8V 7Amp Linear Power Supply OK To Use with DAC?

If a DAC has 12V / 2A requirement, is it OK to use a 13.8V / 7A linear power supply?

I thought an electrical component only pulls as many amps as it needs from the power supply and that a slight voltage variance is OK?

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

Just found this info also - "You can easily drop the output voltage of a DC power supply using some diodes in a series. Use oridinary silicon diodes rated at least the same amp capacity as the power supply, or higher. For each diode in series, subtract 0.6 volts. Just three in series will reduce the voltage 1.8 volts, down to 12 volts."

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Amperage is the ability for the supply to supply power. You will be more than fine. Think of it as the capacity of a fire house. It could deliver 600 gallons/minute if called upon, but if all you need is a gallon a minute, well it can deliver that too. Its just when you want 700 gallons/minute you run into problems.

I'm driving a computer that only consumes 3 amp with a 7amp Tripplite linear supply. The voltage will drop some when the supply is under load.

Just found this info also - "You can easily drop the output voltage of a DC power supply using some diodes in a series. Use oridinary silicon diodes rated at least the same amp capacity as the power supply, or higher. For each diode in series, subtract 0.6 volts. Just three in series will reduce the voltage 1.8 volts, down to 12 volts."

Yes, the voltage is important, the diodes are a good trick, try 10A rated diodes and they won't melt, even a bridge rectifier, just two will get you out of trouble, like BR106. Use two Diodes in one bridge -ve terminal to +ve and a single in the other ~ and the +ve out. 7A is more than enough, the DAC will only draw the 2A. Regulation shouldn't be too bad. Then again the spend on power supplies can approach USD800 and higher....

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I would recommend you measure the output voltage of the power supply. The Metric Halo will be fine if the highest voltage it sees is 13.8 volts. It should be fine at 15 volts. There are raw voltage circuits and then the regulators. The big filter caps are most likely 25 volt. The regulators are good good for higher input voltage.

Most of the sensitive digital components operate at 5 or 3.3 volts. This is regulated whether 12 or 13.8 input.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I would recommend you measure the output voltage of the power supply. The Metric Halo will be fine if the highest voltage it sees is 13.8 volts. It should be fine at 15 volts. There are raw voltage circuits and then the regulators. The big filter caps are most likely 25 volt. The regulators are good good for higher input voltage.

Most of the sensitive digital components operate at 5 or 3.3 volts. This is regulated whether 12 or 13.8 input.

I am actually going to use this with another dac that's rated for 12V / 2A input