IGNORED

Odd muting with some files...

So you checked what NAA or HQPlayer reports? Because there are bunch of DACs that use XMOS implementation and those are all 32-bit. There are only few 24-bit USB interfaces, notably Resonessence Labs.

The right pane in hqp says 24.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

It tells the source file format and output rate, but not output word length. But you could check HQPlayer.log for details on how many bits the DAC claims to have...

Hi @Miska,

I set the log flag but frankly could not find the log anywhere, even searching in the console. So I set the output bits to 24, and the problem persists, at the same spots. Could you get the output stream off of HQP upsampling so that I can send it to EmmLabs please?

BTW, also tried lowering the volume by -3dBFS. I get muting in different places in the same file.

New settings file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5a3izile414M1ZZSUFKYVJxNE0/view?usp=sharing

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Can people give this snippet a try with other DACs? I am getting consistent muting with just this sample. This is a 24bit/192KHz file which is simply the HQPlayer-upsampled (poly-sinc, TPDF) version of the original 24bit/96KHz file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5a3izile414dGNuSTBYQmhPRWs/view?usp=sharing

You would have to play this bit-perfect to make it a meaningful check. If you're using HQPlayer this means setting filter and dither to "none" and volume to 0; in Audirvana or Roon this would mean turning DSP/upsampling completely off and also setting volume to max.

I would appreciate it if you give this a try and let me know.

system pics

I tested under your stated conditions and had NO mutes, and no indication of Limited in HQP. Sorry that it may be your DAC.

Thank you. I tested on another DAC I have and found the same result as you.

What DAC?

system pics

I tested under your stated conditions and had NO mutes, and no indication of Limited in HQP. Sorry that it may be your DAC.
I had noticed this sporadically for a while when playing electronic music with deep bass tones - think Moby's Long Ambients for example - but never really made much of it.

But then I got The xx's latest album (I see you) from HDTracks in 24/96 and my DAC muted a whole bunch, repeatedly, at the same precise points - but only when the signal was upsampled to 24/192! And on top of this, it would mute at the same spots with either HQPlayer upsampling (poly-sinc-short and poly-sinc-short-mp) AND with Roon's native upsampling.

I have sent the file linked above to EMM to troubleshoot. We'll see what the result is...

Thx.

system pics

McIntosh D150 from HQP NAA / ASIO. Sounded pretty good, too! I may have to grab that for the collection.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Great album. And that's prob the worst song in the album.

system pics