IGNORED

Ethernet coupler ??

As is stands I have a 15 ft. Ethernet cable going from my router to NAA. I am thinking about getting a Sablon Ethernet cable which is said to be incredibly good. I can order a 15' length but the cost is pretty high compared to the standard 1 meter length.

My question is will I still gain benefits if I get an Ethernet coupler and connect a 1 meter Sablon to the existing standard cat 6 cable, or will it be necessary for me to replace with a 15 ft.?

A system is only as good as its weakest link

I have to disagree with that statement.

Are you implying that if I were to replace a $300.00 DAC with a $30,000 one (assuming it is better) and everything else remained the same in my system, that there would be no improvement?

As a whole, you will still be stifled by your weakest link. In the case of your DAC, you will likely not be able to fully achieve the full resolution of a 30k dac, but that's bygones for the purposes of this thread.

If you are trying to use a great cable and you are attaching these two with a coupler, the weakest part will be the coupler. You might actually get better results with just the straight wire as it is depending on the coupler. If you are thinking about putting in a 30k dac into your system at somepoint (or any upgrade really), you would likely be better served by replacing the whole run now.

As is stands I have a 15 ft. Ethernet cable going from my router to NAA. I am thinking about getting a Sablon Ethernet cable which is said to be incredibly good. I can order a 15' length but the cost is pretty high compared to the standard 1 meter length.

My question is will I still gain benefits if I get an Ethernet coupler and connect a 1 meter Sablon to the existing standard cat 6 cable, or will it be necessary for me to replace with a 15 ft.?

First, one has to assume that there is any benefit to the Sablon cable over the unnamed (generic) cable you now have. Is there any evidence to entertain that premise?

Second, if you want to assume that the 15ft generic is inferior, leaving it in the system also leaves in place its inferiority. Adding another cable (and generic coupler) in series with it cannot logically remove any of the resident inferiority.

Buy the premise, buy the cable........................or not.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I am thinking in line with the prospect of using 'performance' cable from a router or optic converter, or from any other break in the chain to NAA. If you were to "buy into" that premise, would not the same logic apply here? I guess this is what my original question really is/was.

I am thinking in line with the prospect of using 'performance' cable from a router or optic converter, or from any other break in the chain to NAA. If you were to "buy into" that premise, would not the same logic apply here? I guess this is what my original question really is/was.

I buy into it. I am waiting for plissken to report back on his pseudo scientific test of wireworlds ethernet cable.