IGNORED

Can someone point me to a ripping primer?

I know it may sound silly to a lot of you, but I've been using iTunes forever and say what you will, its dead simple.

Now I'm reripping my collection to best take advantage of Roon.

I want to use XLD and send those files to my Synology NAS (DMS 6) Although I have made it work I don't think I'm

doing it in the smartest most efficient way. Someone must have put together a "How To" but I can't find it.

Thanks,

Steve

Search "How to use XLD to rip a CD" in the Computer Audiophile advanced search box on the upper right section of this page.

I didn't use advance search first time out...thanks. I found a tutorial for at least the ripping part. I'll be dead and returned to ashes before this thing rips my small library of cd's. y guess is there are too many versions to even bother reading tutorials....25 minutes per track isn't going to work. Maybe I'll go back to iTunes?

I didn't use advance search first time out...thanks. I found a tutorial for at least the ripping part. I'll be dead and returned to ashes before this thing rips my small library of cd's. y guess is there are too many versions to even bother reading tutorials....25 minutes per track isn't going to work. Maybe I'll go back to iTunes?

I use XLD and it doesn't take 25 minutes per track - where do you get that figure from?

You haven't said what format your rips are currently in and why you need to re-rip them. XLD can transcode - for instance I always rip my CDs to AIFF, and then use XLD to transcode those to ALAC and maintain iTunes collections in both formats. So if your current rips are in a kind of lossless format, you shouldn't need to start again.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

I use XLD and it doesn't take 25 minutes per track - where do you get that figure from?

You haven't said what format your rips are currently in and why you need to re-rip them. XLD can transcode - for instance I always rip my CDs to AIFF, and then use XLD to transcode those to ALAC and maintain iTunes collections in both formats. So if your current rips are in a kind of lossless format, you shouldn't need to start again.

+1. In addition, re-ripping will probably result in the need to do a lot of re-tagging. If you already have accurate rips, there is no need to redo everything, what a headache, just transcode to the format you want with XLD.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

+1. In addition, re-ripping will probably result in the need to do a lot of re-tagging. If you already have accurate rips, there is no need to redo everything, what a headache, just transcode to the format you want with XLD.

Ok, it is much easier to transcode. I don't have a lot of HD space on my laptop, so I can only do so many at a time, but it is easier. Now my issue are the way the files are stored on my NAS. Its the only way I can figure out how to get them to the NAS, but this looks like a nightmare waiting to happen. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 2.29.20 PM.png

Each album should be contained in a folder,e.g., music > artist > album

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Yep...exactly what I thought (although Roon can use the files as is) Synology won't let me import the folders, only the files so I'm doing something wrong. Nothing in the DSM help makes any sense to me.

What format is the hard drive where your files are now? The NAS will not work with all formats. Otherwise you should be able to just drag your folders over from where they are currently stored. If your current source is not formatted for the NAS, you can drag your music folder onto a portable HDD with correct format and attached this directly to your NAS via the USB input, then drag across.

This is what mine looks like:

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.02.46 PM.png

What format is the hard drive where your files are now? The NAS will not work with all formats. Otherwise you should be able to just drag your folders over from where they are currently stored. If your current source is not formatted for the NAS, you can drag your music folder onto a portable HDD with correct format and attached this directly to your NAS via the USB input, then drag across.

They are currently in ALAC but I'm transcoding to AIFF and then uploading to the Synology. I looked for info on drag and drop. I didn't see anything in the turorial.

They are currently in ALAC but I'm transcoding to AIFF and then uploading to the Synology. I looked for info on drag and drop. I didn't see anything in the turorial.

If you connect to your NAS from the laptop (MacBook Pro?), i.e., mount it as a shared drive (Go > Connect to Server) , it will appear on your desktop. You should simply be able to drag your folders from the Mac into your NAS music folder. I do this almost every day.

If you connect to your NAS from the laptop (MacBook Pro?), i.e., mount it as a shared drive (Go > Connect to Server) , it will appear on your desktop. You should simply be able to drag your folders from the Mac into your NAS music folder. I do this almost every day.

Thanks, That's a lot easier than what I was doing. I'll give it a try...thanks for your help.

Chris Connaker posted the following article on October 2009:

Computer Audiophile CD Ripping Strategy and Methodology

It think it is still well worth reading seven years later.

From the article:

The importance of a well thought out ripping strategy and defined methodology cannot be stressed enough. Without a solid strategy and solid methodology one is bound to lose countless hours of time and money by re-ripping CDs. In addition the inability to use an old CD ripped in an obscure format and the inability to find one's music stored in a mass of untagged files with no identifying data is a guarantee for those who dive in head first without forethought. Fortunately most of these pitfalls can be avoided by following the recommendations in this document.

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

I seem to be taking one step forward and two back. I have files moved over to my NAS, but now Roon shows the file as empty. I'm pretty sure Roon isn't being pointed to the NAS properly but I can't figure it out. Any guesses from the screen shots?

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 7.43.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 7.43.51 AM.png

I seem to be taking one step forward and two back. I have files moved over to my NAS, but now Roon shows the file as empty. I'm pretty sure Roon isn't being pointed to the NAS properly but I can't figure it out. Any guesses from the screen shots?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33015[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33016[/ATTACH]

Sorry, can't help you with this one. Can you access the files using another music player?

Solved....it was a reboot issue that coincided with the 1.3 release yesterday.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Glad you got it sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Why not continue to use iTunes? You can set the rip directory to your server and then point Roon to the same place. I've used EAC, XLD and Vortexbox (CD Paranoia) and the truth is that unless the CD is damaged itunes gets the same exact rip. On a damaged disc I prefer EAC.