IGNORED

Spectrogram Help: Poulenc's Organ Concerto

I am hoping to get some help interpreting the attached spectrogram. It is from a recording of Poulenc's Organ Concerto made at 24 bit/88.2 KHz resolution.

The CD that I have is HDCD encoded so I would think that the original master was PCM.

I guess it is possible that the PCM file was converted to DSD64 for SACD release and that the DSD64 was used to create the 24/88 file. If so, I wish I knew why the original PCM file was not used?

The spectrum looks like DSD to PCM converted file, where noise was cut upper 42 kHz.

Studio processing of DSD is implemented as PCM, as far as I know.

If suggest what original master is PCM (very probably), I don’t know reasons for convert it to DSD and back.

May be there was used enhancer like [PCM > analog > DSD > PCM]. In this case it may be considered as subject of audio mastering art.

If the noise don’t cause discomfort to you, don’t worry about it.

As experiment, you can cut spectrum over 20 kHz and compare sounding of original and cut ones.

If there no difference, it is mean what intermodulation distortions is low and ultrasound noise is not matter for your system.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

I just need to decide whether the high res. download would provide a sonic advantage over my CD rip.

Hi-res may give advantages in complex with your software+hardware only.

But almost nobody know how it work (except the developers). So only testing need there.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature