IGNORED

Meridian explorer 2 vs AQ DF Red

bobbmd

Ajax- i have a problem with ME2 and A+ ver2.6.5. I suddenly get no sound with either Qobuz or TIDAL playing the blue music bar at the top of A+ page moves but no sound. TIDAL/Qobuz/ROON all work flawlessly alone using their desktop apps but all of a sudden nothing from A+ i emailed Damien at A+ and called Meridian in the USA neither had an answer.

Can you help?

Am still waiting for the AQ DF RED to arrive and I hope I can fix this A+ problem especially with ver 3 coming with MQA 'unfolding'

Hi Bob,

Sorry I have not replied earlier, however, I did not see your previous post. In future quote an except from whoever you want a response as we receive an automatic email from CA.

From your first post a few days ago - What do Explorer’s lights mean?

The first light indicates there is a connection and that Explorer is operating at 44.1/48khz. Two lights indicate that Explorer is operating at 88.2/96khz. Three lights indicate Explorer is operating at 176.4/192khz.

With regard to the post above I would suspect the issue is with A+ not the Explorer. This is based on my own experience over the past 5 years with A+ not being particularly stable and the fact that the other software packages are working fine.

It is best to remember that Damien is a one man operator (or at least he was) with limited resources who has developed an incredibly good product but has issues maintaining quality control. He is a terrific fellow, and obviously highly skilled, but he is still only one person trying to develop, improve and continually update a software package. I implemented a software packed into my own business many years ago and it is incredibly difficult.

Can I suggest that you close A+ and turn off your computer and then turn it back on and reopen A+ and check the following:

1. in A+ under preferences check that the Explorer 2 is selected

2. ditto under System Preferences / Sound

3. ditto under Audio Midi set up

Unfortunately that's the best I can come up with especially if neither Damien or Meridian can help.

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Ajax- Thanks I already did all that still no go-it is not the end of the world but the ME2 sounds great regardless and now I have another problem after forced quit of my late 2012 mac mini i7 16GB RAM El Capitan after getting it resuscitated it no longer recognizes my Schiit Gungnir so until the AQ DF RED arrives down to one DAC which my old but still very functional ears sounds just as good( maybe even better) as the Gungnir especially in MQA. You have been very helpful thanks.

ajax: Damien suggested I not click any upsampling on A2+ I did that went back to iZotope 64 bit SRC and now ME2 plays sound with A2+ go figure but now TIDAL desktop app won't play through ME2 just through my TV/monitors speakers! Also now ME2 only shows as up to 96Hz no higher on A2+ and on A2+ shows 24/48 FLAC in upper right hand corner and DAC only 24/48 in left upper corner previously it would show 24/96 or even 24/176.4 or 24/192 yet I have 24/96 hires of 2 grateful dead albums in my iTunes library and they show up as 24/96 flac and 24/96 from the DAC I don't think sound quality is really any different but I am so confused I think I'll just take a break from trying to figure this all out and just enjoy the music. I honestly think the X-Files have taken over my Mac Mini or me or both!

ajax: Damien suggested I not click any upsampling on A2+ I did that went back to iZotope 64 bit SRC and now ME2 plays sound with A2+ go figure but now TIDAL desktop app won't play through ME2 just through my TV/monitors speakers! Also now ME2 only shows as up to 96Hz no higher on A2+ and on A2+ shows 24/48 FLAC in upper right hand corner and DAC only 24/48 in left upper corner previously it would show 24/96 or even 24/176.4 or 24/192 yet I have 24/96 hires of 2 grateful dead albums in my iTunes library and they show up as 24/96 flac and 24/96 from the DAC I don't think sound quality is really any different but I am so confused I think I'll just take a break from trying to figure this all out and just enjoy the music. I honestly think the X-Files have taken over my Mac Mini or me or both!

Hi Bob,

I have been loving and hating computers for the past 30 years because of the type of shit you are going through.

FYI there is a new firmware upgrade for the Explorer 2 which you can get from:

https://www.meridian-audio.com/en/product-support/dacs/usb-dacs/explorer2/

I have tried to update my Explorer 2 with this latest firmware so I can play MQA files from Tidal but without success. The Load command just "hangs". I bought the E2 in June 2015 from Graham HiFi in London whilst on a holiday so within the 12 month warranty period. When I contacted contacted Meridian support two weeks ago they suggested I try to update using a different computer but no go. I advised them of this but they have not come back to me - not impressed!

I understand your frustration but unfortunately I don't have the technical know how to help.

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Ajax thanks I didnot expect any new insights I basically was just venting but my music does play and plays well but....I also downloaded or uploaded that version v1717 and I don't really know if it got inplanted on ME2 but like I said A2+ now works with not clicking any up sampling still sounds very good but in the process lost sound from TIDAL so will wait and see and 'take a break' and just listen to music for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when audioquest will come out with the dragonfly red MQA firmware update? It's frustrating that with everyone talking about it I can't find either the firmware updater link (per the DF manual) or any language about MQA update on the website. I have an Explorer2 and want to compare as well as listen to my Tidal MQA albums decoded from iPhone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know when audioquest will come out with the dragonfly red MQA firmware update? It's frustrating that with everyone talking about it I can't find either the firmware updater link (per the DF manual) or any language about MQA update on the website. I have an Explorer2 and want to compare as well as listen to my Tidal MQA albums decoded from iPhone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They said it would be available in January. It's still not available, and they have made some sort of BS statement about giving Tidal time to fix some sort of streaming issue.

No Tidal streaming issue here, over than not being able to use my DragonFly :/

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

They said it would be available in January. It's still not available, and they have made some sort of BS statement about giving Tidal time to fix some sort of streaming issue.

No Tidal streaming issue here, over than not being able to use my DragonFly :/

The "streaming issue" is likely the absence of an MQA-enabled mobile app. Mobile is the space that AQ sells the DF in.

I find it mildly interesting that the only MQA software decoding available today is Tidal (desktop). Perhaps MQA is giving this away (for now) to Tidal to "prime the pump". My personal experience with Tidal Desktop is that it's not even close to the same level of functionality as streaming apps from competitors. If MQA is to really flourish, it must be unchained from Tidal's lame software.