IGNORED

Genelec user experience

To those using 83xx or 82xx, how do these handle placement close to the wall? I see Genelec makes wall mounts, which is promising, but this is clearly an exercise in compromise. Does the GLM do a decent job of smoothing things out with near wall placement? Or is it simply an absurd idea to get monitors like 8351s and the place them within a foot of the wall?

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

To those using 83xx or 82xx, how do these handle placement close to the wall? I see Genelec makes wall mounts, which is promising, but this is clearly an exercise in compromise. Does the GLM do a decent job of smoothing things out with near wall placement? Or is it simply an absurd idea to get monitors like 8351s and the place them within a foot of the wall?

Placement near the wall is no problem. You can put them much closer to the wall than 30 centimeters (1 foot). It's actually advised to have them near the wall. The user manual describes this in more detail.

The GLM does a nice job evening out bass due to for example placement near wall.

As with all speakers, the 8351a and 8260a will sound better in a good (treated) room than in, say, a concrete box. GLM is valuable but cannot make gold out of, say, concrete.

+1 for ATC, they are superior to Genelec, I've worked with both.

I've tried a few pro speakers and most sound a tad dry and overly analytical, you have Adam's so you may know what I mean but I think the ATC SCM20 Pro are great value for $5K at Vintage King, not particularly toddler proof though...maybe some sturdier floor standers would be the best option, B&W 802N's can be had for around 5K secondhand.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

my plan is to buy 8351 with glm, and later add one sun 7360.

Take a look at the Genelec community site for subwoofer discussions.

One single 10' sub may not make wonders compared to the 8' subs that are inside the 8351a.

Two 7360s would make a difference, however. One 7370 (12') could make a difference as well. Two 7370s would undoubtedly make a difference...

Take also a look at Geddes's notes on subwoofers:

(1) https://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

(2) Serious Audio: Two Great Articles on Multiple Subwoofers by Dr. Earl Geddes

I think Geddes's proposals are interesting for most people thinking about maximizing the sound of the lower frequencies in an over-the-top hifi setup.

Long story short:

If you have the possibility to listen to Devialet Phantom Golds (ignore the silvers or white ones, they are made for a different type of music listener), you owe it to yourself to try them out!Long story:Me and my girlfriend are, or better were, in the exact same situation as you. One year old toddler and circumstances along this had us give up on our classic separates+large speaker setup (Linn Akurate, Hypex NCore, Quadral Aurum Titan VII Speakers) and move to something more kids friendly...So my girlfriend and I started listening to smaller systems, mainly active and all integrated speakers. In your case rather non relevant ones such as Sonos, Bluesound, MacIntosh, Naim. Just to get a feeling where the really small ones stand (wasn't our cup of tea at all). ...Over to Studio-grade speakers/systems such as Focal, Adam and Genelec (8531).In the end we bought something completely different. A stereo pair of Devialet Phantom Golds with an accompaning remote and the needed dialog box, including the gecko wall mounting brackets to make the setup kid-friendly. The loudspeakers are now mounted on the wall in about 1m10cm height "shouting" straight into our rather large livingroom which also doubles as playground for our toddler. Our smallest family member does not seem to care a bit - he looks at the speakers from time to time but is not interested in them as a "touchy-touchy-feely-feely" object at all, in stark contrast to our setup from before...Sound quality wise as well as integration into our style of music listening (including browsing and chosing music) and appartment layout we could not have done any better, is the belief of both of us!I dare calling my girlfriend and myself audiophiles tho I would highly resist attributing us golden ears. Tbh, the Genelecs were intriquing from an audiophile/fiddler point of view (DSP/DRC et al), but sound wise the Phantoms stand their ground. I would not say either is better or worse than the other, just different for differing use cases.

While the Genelecs seemed a tad more detailed with the feeling of having a bit more insight in the medium to high treble, the Phantoms just sounded more musical, flowing, and emotionally engaging. With the Genelecs the guy showing us the setup had to actively correct them via DSP/DRC to not have us feel nervous after a while of listening. From our perspective, clearly a loudspeaker made for the studio where hearing every detail and each recordings quality seems more important than musical engagement. To add to it, the Phantoms sounded more "there" top to bottom when listening at low to medium levels. The genelecs seemed to lack a little in the low to mid bass section when not turned up to at least 85-90db. With the Phantoms, this was not the case. Also not now at home. No matter how low or loud we listen to music. It just seems to always play the same, with us getting "more of the same" the louder we listen. Sure, when playing plenty loud they deliver a boatload of bass when called for that you can even feel physically (edm, drum...), but it does not seem to be out of place or overloaded at any time.If you still fell you wolud miss out on DSP/DRC with a Devialet Phantom seutp, you could use Roon v1.3 which now has an integrated DSP engine or use any other DSP/DRC enabled source into the Phantom setup, as long as it sends data over optical/TosLink (DSPeaker Anti-Mode, Dirac-enabled Computer...)Have fun listening (to whichever Loudspeaker you chose to listen to) ;-)Cheers

iPhone/iPad/Laptop/NAS -> Devialet Spark + Airplay -> Devialet Phantom Golds

(unfortunately Gallo seems to be essentially out of business so getting new ones is out.)

Perhaps I missed it, but when did this happen? The website is still up. I hope this isn't true. I really enjoy my Strada 2's in my desktop system.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Found this link, it looks like the company has new owners:

Anthony Gallo Acoustics Has Been Sold | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

I could not find anything about the company going out of business.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Ok, So I will probably go with either 8350 vs 8351. Urs already chimed in to say he didn't think the improvement in the 8351 over the 8350 was worth the nearly 70% price premium. Does anyone else have a comment on this that is famiiar with both speakers? I am going to try and find some to listen to prior to purchase, but I don't know about the probability of finding both speakers close to where I live and do a comparison. Finding a set of 8050 is probably as close as I will get. There seem to be quite a few 8351 owners here, anyone compare them to the newer but less fancy 8350?

Anthony sold the company and I am pretty sure is gone. He was the driving force and the innovator. The Classico line is gone now and was sold on Audiogon by a dealer (Underwood Wally?) that bought every last unit on closeout. I bet the value of the company was purely in the little sphere speaker systems. I would be very surprised if the reference line is ever revived.

Found this link, it looks like the company has new owners:

Anthony Gallo Acoustics Has Been Sold | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

I could not find anything about the company going out of business.

Ok, So I will probably go with either 8350 vs 8351. Urs already chimed in to say he didn't think the improvement in the 8351 over the 8350 was worth the nearly 70% price premium. Does anyone else have a comment on this that is famiiar with both speakers? I am going to try and find some to listen to prior to purchase, but I don't know about the probability of finding both speakers close to where I live and do a comparison. Finding a set of 8050 is probably as close as I will get. There seem to be quite a few 8351 owners here, anyone compare them to the newer but less fancy 8350?

The two monitors, 8351 and 8350, are very different monitors, build-wise and sonically (according to those who have heard both).

• 11 months later...
On 25/01/2017 at 10:59 PM, Urs said:

I either own or owned several studio monitors (Klein + Hummel O110, Klein + Hummel O300, Genelec 8040, Manger MSMc1, Genelec 8351). Since about 1990 my main speakers are Apogee Duetta Signature (refurbished in 2015).

Here's my opinion:

In your situation I would pick something like the Genelec 8040, 8050 or what you suggested in your original post, the Genelec 8350. These are all more or less in the same price range and have a good price/quality ratio.

Those which are significantly more expensive (Genelec 8351 and Manger MSMc1) are better, but it's really not a different world. The difference between a Genelec 8040 and the 8351 or the Manger MSMc1 is much (I mean really much) smaller than between the 8351 and the Apogees.

My main point is not about the Apogees, it's rather: I don't consider the Manger or the 8351 to be top speakers (though both are good and nice speakers, but neither caused any goosebumps)

Why not buy one of the cheaper Genelecs (I really like the 8040, still have them) and postpone any real top speaker. When the kids are six or seven, they shouldn't be too dangerous for the speakers anymore ;-)

I owned a pair of Genelec 8351 that I really appreciate.I have never heard any Apogees. I have one question : which speakers do you consider as "top speakers" as you say in your post ? And how would you qualify the difference ?

On 1/23/2017 at 11:40 AM, Kelly said:

You are making me cry. I am selling my Gallo speakers simply due to life circumstances. I have my first child on the way and the Gallo speakers just aren't kid friendly. They have that exposed woofer and surround at toddler fist level, and the base is very unstable. I thought about ways to childproof them but it just doesn't make a lot of sense to keep them. I am concerned because I think the ref3.5 is simply a fabulous speaker and I don't want to downgrade. I am considering genelec largely because I like the active principles and room correction capability. Furthermore I would like to get rid of my monoblock amps. The Genelecs I am considering have full grills over the drivers, can be mounted on the wall or perhaps to a piece of furniture, up and out of the way of small children. You are right tho, it is killing me to sell them. I am wondering if I am setting myself up for disappointment by considering a powered monitor.

The Kii three is what I would buy if I could afford it. They are $14k and that is in a different league than I am playing in right now. I may consider the Genelec 8351, but that even is stretching my budget.

i also had the same issue -- had some aerial 10ts with mark levinson 331 amp and 39 cd player.  unfortunately, didn't make sense with kids and a move to new house.

i miss them to this day (15 years later).

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
On 12.1.2018 at 2:25 PM, HFred said:

I owned a pair of Genelec 8351 that I really appreciate.I have never heard any Apogees. I have one question : which speakers do you consider as "top speakers" as you say in your post ? And how would you qualify the difference ?

IMO, some top speakers (which I have extensively heard): Martin Logan ESL 13A, Sonus Faber Serafino Tradition, Wilson Yvette.

These are all significantly more expensive, but not yet crazy expensive.

I would also like to add: I just bought - as a desktop speaker - the new Genelec 8341. It's really a great speaker and I don't know of any better speaker for this purpose. You can use the new Genelecs (The Ones) with a minimum listening distance of 0.5m.

7 hours ago, Urs said:

IMO, some top speakers (which I have extensively heard): Martin Logan ESL 13A, Sonus Faber Serafino Tradition, Wilson Yvette.

These are all significantly more expensive, but not yet crazy expensive.

I would also like to add: I just bought - as a desktop speaker - the new Genelec 8341. It's really a great speaker and I don't know of any better speaker for this purpose. You can use the new Genelecs (The Ones) with a minimum listening distance of 0.5m.

Thank you for your answer. I listen to my Genelec 8351 at a distance of 2 m. And I have to say that what needs to be improved now is definitely not the system but the acoustics of my room. I'm actually quite impressed by the 8351.

• 9 months later...

I'm planning to upgrade my  office system, for nearfield listenning. Many years ago I used some Genelec 8020 in my office, later I bought some Proac 1SC+valve amplifier, and the later combo is more expensive and much better than the gennies, specially at low volume levels where these gennies are awful. 

What's the situation now?. The new SAM models, like the 8341/8351, can sound musical  as a proper audiophile system?.  Do these new digital models benefit for quality DAC, from a quality AES signal?.