IGNORED

Genelec user experience

I either own or owned several studio monitors (Klein + Hummel O110, Klein + Hummel O300, Genelec 8040, Manger MSMc1, Genelec 8351). Since about 1990 my main speakers are Apogee Duetta Signature (refurbished in 2015).

Here's my opinion:

In your situation I would pick something like the Genelec 8040, 8050 or what you suggested in your original post, the Genelec 8350. These are all more or less in the same price range and have a good price/quality ratio.

Those which are significantly more expensive (Genelec 8351 and Manger MSMc1) are better, but it's really not a different world. The difference between a Genelec 8040 and the 8351 or the Manger MSMc1 is much (I mean really much) smaller than between the 8351 and the Apogees.

My main point is not about the Apogees, it's rather: I don't consider the Manger or the 8351 to be top speakers (though both are good and nice speakers, but neither caused any goosebumps)

Why not buy one of the cheaper Genelecs (I really like the 8040, still have them) and postpone any real top speaker. When the kids are six or seven, they shouldn't be too dangerous for the speakers anymore ;-)

• 11 months later...
On 12.1.2018 at 2:25 PM, HFred said:

I owned a pair of Genelec 8351 that I really appreciate.I have never heard any Apogees. I have one question : which speakers do you consider as "top speakers" as you say in your post ? And how would you qualify the difference ?

IMO, some top speakers (which I have extensively heard): Martin Logan ESL 13A, Sonus Faber Serafino Tradition, Wilson Yvette.

These are all significantly more expensive, but not yet crazy expensive.

I would also like to add: I just bought - as a desktop speaker - the new Genelec 8341. It's really a great speaker and I don't know of any better speaker for this purpose. You can use the new Genelecs (The Ones) with a minimum listening distance of 0.5m.