IGNORED

Genelec user experience

100% DIGITAL WITH EXTENSION POSSIBILITIES

I run my 8351a speakers using a digital AES-converter. This is a minimalist setup with great sound, only limited by your acoustics. Remember, always use AES digital input into the SAM speakers to avoid extra conversion issues.

Serious audiophiles want more, however, from a system than what a 3-way box can give you. And then we are talking about a bass system. A bass system should (look up Earl Geddes on Google) consist of at least 2 subwoofers (7370a), preferably 4. The thing is, I believe Genelec has one of the better plug and play systems for adding extra bass to an audiophile system, given the GLM's DSP capabilities. So you could buy a pair of 8351a and add subs to the system at a later stage. I consider doing this. I believe an 8351a based 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4 system would compete with much more expensive setups, but now we are talking about serious audiophilia which will consume some space in your home.

The sub comment was just meant to illustrate the flexibility of Genelec's SAM digital module based systems if the user wants to push the limits of great sounding hifi systems.

To those using 83xx or 82xx, how do these handle placement close to the wall? I see Genelec makes wall mounts, which is promising, but this is clearly an exercise in compromise. Does the GLM do a decent job of smoothing things out with near wall placement? Or is it simply an absurd idea to get monitors like 8351s and the place them within a foot of the wall?

Placement near the wall is no problem. You can put them much closer to the wall than 30 centimeters (1 foot). It's actually advised to have them near the wall. The user manual describes this in more detail.

The GLM does a nice job evening out bass due to for example placement near wall.

As with all speakers, the 8351a and 8260a will sound better in a good (treated) room than in, say, a concrete box. GLM is valuable but cannot make gold out of, say, concrete.

my plan is to buy 8351 with glm, and later add one sun 7360.

Take a look at the Genelec community site for subwoofer discussions.

One single 10' sub may not make wonders compared to the 8' subs that are inside the 8351a.

Two 7360s would make a difference, however. One 7370 (12') could make a difference as well. Two 7370s would undoubtedly make a difference...

Take also a look at Geddes's notes on subwoofers:

(1) https://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

(2) Serious Audio: Two Great Articles on Multiple Subwoofers by Dr. Earl Geddes

I think Geddes's proposals are interesting for most people thinking about maximizing the sound of the lower frequencies in an over-the-top hifi setup.

Ok, So I will probably go with either 8350 vs 8351. Urs already chimed in to say he didn't think the improvement in the 8351 over the 8350 was worth the nearly 70% price premium. Does anyone else have a comment on this that is famiiar with both speakers? I am going to try and find some to listen to prior to purchase, but I don't know about the probability of finding both speakers close to where I live and do a comparison. Finding a set of 8050 is probably as close as I will get. There seem to be quite a few 8351 owners here, anyone compare them to the newer but less fancy 8350?

The two monitors, 8351 and 8350, are very different monitors, build-wise and sonically (according to those who have heard both).