IGNORED

Genelec user experience

Hi, I'm considering going with a Genelec system to replace my Gallo speakers and mono amps. I was wondering if anyone has intimate knowledge of the various parts of the Genelec line.

The "home" speakers, or the G-line vs the studio monitors. I am comparing the G5 to the 8350. There is basically no price difference, but the 8350 gives you a digital input with Autocal room correction capability vs only analog inputs for the G5. Is there any reason to consider the G-series vs the studio series which is more capable and priced essentially the same? What am I missing? I don't see any reason to go with home line vs the studio line.

Also, does anyone have any comment about the relative sound qualities of the various sizes. For the two way models from 5", 6.5" and 8" drivers, other than the expected improvement in impact and bass extension, can anyone comment on if the midrange and treble qualities are superior for some models over the others? Or are the mid and upper portions of the frequency range fairly consistent across these models?

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

You are making me cry. I am selling my Gallo speakers simply due to life circumstances. I have my first child on the way and the Gallo speakers just aren't kid friendly. They have that exposed woofer and surround at toddler fist level, and the base is very unstable. I thought about ways to childproof them but it just doesn't make a lot of sense to keep them. I am concerned because I think the ref3.5 is simply a fabulous speaker and I don't want to downgrade. I am considering genelec largely because I like the active principles and room correction capability. Furthermore I would like to get rid of my monoblock amps. The Genelecs I am considering have full grills over the drivers, can be mounted on the wall or perhaps to a piece of furniture, up and out of the way of small children. You are right tho, it is killing me to sell them. I am wondering if I am setting myself up for disappointment by considering a powered monitor.

The Kii three is what I would buy if I could afford it. They are $14k and that is in a different league than I am playing in right now. I may consider the Genelec 8351, but that even is stretching my budget.

I loved you Gallo speakers - fabulous sweet and extended tweeter!!

You need to get serious performance from the Genelecs, in order to match and improve on the Gallo's.

What is your motivation for change?

In case you consider alternatives, and if you can audition Kii Three, it would be interesting to get a comparison Kii vs Genelec since they share some of the same principles...

Funny, I just replaced my gallos for the same reason. I kept seeing my daughter being crushed by them. It was a bit sad as they had never sounded better as I had just ripped my CDs and purchased an Yggy and a microrendu. I replaced them with Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S, which I love.

How do you like the Spatial Audios compared to the Gallos you had? Just looking at them, how are they more childproof than the Gallos? It looks like they could still be pulled forward fairly easily, did you tether them to the wall?

I am super happy with my Genelec 8260.

However, I realised that if you want to improve the SQ, you cannot act on the DAC which is a key component.

The Genelec one is ok, but it could become the limitation of your system once you have improved all the rest.

Same for the amps, but I think the DAC is key if you want your system to not sound too digital.

Hope it helps

Frank

The dac inside the Genelecs is something I accept as part of the package. Given that the crossovers are done in DSP and combined with the room calibration capability, I took it as a given that the DA conversion must be done very well. I have taken it for granted that the advantages you gain from amplifier matching the drivers and avoiding the passive crossovers would more than overcome the differences in DA conversion. When you say the Genelec one is ok, are you referring to the units inside your speakers?

My main hesitation with the Genelecs is that they might come across as a little too brutally honest and loose some of the intimacy and smoothness with some types of music. Have you experienced this at all with your system? Thanks in advance for your response.

I think the grills would actually make them easier for a kid to pull over. I'm sure you could build some sort of outrigger or put them on the mapleshade stands to make them more stable. As it is, a kid could easily pull them down or, worse, move them out of position.

My plan was some sort of aftermarket base (like the Mapleshade) along with some outrigger and then the grills if I could find a set to buy (unfortunately Gallo seems to be essentially out of business so getting new ones is out.) But, it is a moot point now. They are sold and I have to box them up! I have had them for 5 years now, I am getting a bit nostaligic about it. Oh well...

Thanks to all that have responded so far that I haven't acknowledged. For now I have an old set of Vandersteen 2c's (like 20+ years old) and they sound pretty darn good.

It sounds like the main complaint that some have about Genelecs is a slight loss of "intimacy" (for lack of a better term) on the top end. Some reviewers report that warmth of vocals and the sizzle of cymbals can be a bit lost. The written review I am thinking of is the 6moons review and one owner has confirmed this to some extent. My inclination would be to attribute it to superior resolution simply being less flattering, but another alternative has been offered in that it may show the limitations of the internal D/A conversion. Or it could be related to how good the digital front end to which the system is connected.

What do any of the other Genelec users have to say about this?

To those using 83xx or 82xx, how do these handle placement close to the wall? I see Genelec makes wall mounts, which is promising, but this is clearly an exercise in compromise. Does the GLM do a decent job of smoothing things out with near wall placement? Or is it simply an absurd idea to get monitors like 8351s and the place them within a foot of the wall?

Ok, So I will probably go with either 8350 vs 8351. Urs already chimed in to say he didn't think the improvement in the 8351 over the 8350 was worth the nearly 70% price premium. Does anyone else have a comment on this that is famiiar with both speakers? I am going to try and find some to listen to prior to purchase, but I don't know about the probability of finding both speakers close to where I live and do a comparison. Finding a set of 8050 is probably as close as I will get. There seem to be quite a few 8351 owners here, anyone compare them to the newer but less fancy 8350?

Anthony sold the company and I am pretty sure is gone. He was the driving force and the innovator. The Classico line is gone now and was sold on Audiogon by a dealer (Underwood Wally?) that bought every last unit on closeout. I bet the value of the company was purely in the little sphere speaker systems. I would be very surprised if the reference line is ever revived.

Found this link, it looks like the company has new owners:

Anthony Gallo Acoustics Has Been Sold | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

I could not find anything about the company going out of business.