IGNORED

WireWorld Starlight CAT 8 cable review

Those who report hearing meaningful differences have expensive systems. So what do you do to debunk them? You assemble a test involving $200 worth of gear and behave like it provided a definitive answer on this topic. That's the exact opposite of intellectual humility and honesty.

Dear lord...

1st get rid of the notion that just outlaying cash somehow invalidates the ability to pick and properly implement cost effective pieces that provide high fidelity. Your ability to spend doesn't directly correlate to superior SQ.

Your understanding is total 180 of where it should be:

The cheap, shitty, equipment should be more susceptible to these changes. The expensive, overbuilt equipment should be impervious to 12 foot of Ethernet cabling.

The fact that this falls upon deaf ears is not surprising.

It's why I put together an inexpensive bare-bones client machine to connect to the DAC. If anything is going to show variance of 315ft of generic vs 12 feet of esoteric is precisely should be the low end box.

A high cost piece of equipment that is susceptible to 12 feet of cable is the antithesis of properly designed.

2nd

You keep mentioning 'Expensive'. It's very telling about your mind set. You aren't better then me. You aren't better then anyone else here.

You've introduced so many variables that listening would provide no ability to draw any conclusions whatsoever. This is not a valid approach to accomplish what you are hoping. Your bias prevents you from seeing this.

Instead of just stating something, how about you back it up?

How have I presented too many variables? You know the setup I'm using. Pick it apart.

How is the Client machine a low resolution device? How is my Emotiva DC - 1 a low resolution device?

Did I mis-configure the LAG on the Cisco Switch?

Did I mis-configure JRiver? Is the SQ with JRiver a problem?

Since you seem to be about the money spent, I'll reply in reciprocal:

I'd put the DC-1 next to your Chord Hugo TT any day.

I'd put my Statements next to your Aerials any day.

I'd put my low voltage Windows 10 boxes with linear supply or battery next to your MicroRendu any day.

The cheap, shitty, equipment should be more susceptible to these changes. The expensive, overbuilt equipment should be impervious to 12 foot of Ethernet cabling.

So your view is that the less resolving the component, the more likely it is that it will allow one to hear these differences?

Wow. I'm laughing uncontrollably.

Ok I'm really done this time.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

So your view is that the less resolving the component, the more likely it is that it will allow one to hear these differences?

Laugh it up - the point is that if your equipment is so poorly designed and implemented it can't behave properly with either a cheap cable or an expensive one, who's the fool?

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Where did I say LESS resolving. You are so in the forest you can't see the trees. This is sad and funny at the same time.

No, my view is that really good equipment should be resolving and immune to Ethernet cabling that passes spec. And if it's output can be changed due to that fact that, irregardless if you've just paid a lot or little $$ for it, means it's defective equipment. The ability for a piece of 'highly resolving' equipment to continuously and variably have it's output malformed by an Ethernet cable means it's a piece of shit.

My point is that for $220 I put together a PC that is resolving, error free, works perfectly with either 315 foot or 12 foot of cable regardless of price. My performance logging on the switch, my ping rates, my sustained throughput, my ADC process all back this up.

You are confused and here is why:

You equate the ability to alter the output of a really expensive device with something as trivial as an Ethernet cable as 'highly resolving'. How you made that tremendous leap in logic is amazing and has me chuckling.

So if your MRendu sounds one way with Cable A, another way with Cable B, then WHICH is the proper, highly resolving way of reconstituting the source track as the musician and mastering process intended?

It can't be both.

Laugh it up - the point is that if your equipment is so poorly designed and implemented it can't behave properly with either a cheap cable or an expensive one, who's the fool?

I truly wish that my components were designed such that Ethernet cables didn't matter. My hope when purchasing the microRendu was that it would be immune to what's upstream as there was said to be some Ethernet isolation. Same for the Hugo TT, as I had hoped the galvanically isolated USB might help isolate from what's upstream as well.

Unfortunately that's proving to not be the case. In fact the opposite is true - what's upstream seems to matter even more. These components have increased resolution and significantly lowered the noise floor - making that these differences stand out even more.

I do hope that some day designers figure out how to eliminate the deleterious effects of digital cables without harming the ability of these components to be resolving of low level details. But my experience suggests they aren't there yet - and maybe not even close.

If you can point me to gear that's musically on par with what I what I own now, but isn't "poorly designed and implemented" then I will look into making some changes.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I truly wish that my components were designed such that Ethernet cables didn't matter. My hope when purchasing the microRendu was that it would be immune to what's upstream as there was said to be some Ethernet isolation. Same for the Hugo TT, as I had hoped the galvanically isolated USB might help isolate from what's upstream as well.

Unfortunately that's proving to not be the case. In fact the opposite is true - what's upstream seems to matter even more. These components have increased resolution and significantly lowered the noise floor - making that these differences stand out even more.

I do hope that some day designers figure out how to eliminate the deleterious effects of digital cables without harming the ability of these components to be resolving of low level details. But my experience suggests they aren't there yet - and maybe not even close.

If you can point me to gear that's musically on par with what I what I own now, but isn't "poorly designed and implemented" then I will look into making some changes.

That's like asking a vegetarian to recommend a steak house :) IMO a great place to start is MQA recordings.To my ears the Ethernet cables make a difference but I think I would start further up the chain with the recording itself.

To my ears the Ethernet cables make a difference but I think I would start further up the chain with the recording itself.

Agree. Ethernet cables are a finishing touch.

This weekend I will get to hear in my system the Wireworld Ethernet cables above and below the Starlight in their lineup (Platinum Starlight and Chroma).

Where did I say LESS resolving. You are so in the forest you can't see the trees. This is sad and funny at the same time.

No, my view is that really good equipment should be resolving and immune to Ethernet cabling that passes spec. And if it's output can be changed due to that fact that, irregardless if you've just paid a lot or little $$ for it, means it's defective equipment. The ability for a piece of 'highly resolving' equipment to continuously and variably have it's output malformed by an Ethernet cable means it's a piece of shit.

My point is that for $220 I put together a PC that is resolving, error free, works perfectly with either 315 foot or 12 foot of cable regardless of price. My performance logging on the switch, my ping rates, my sustained throughput, my ADC process all back this up.

You are confused and here is why:

You equate the ability to alter the output of a really expensive device with something as trivial as an Ethernet cable as 'highly resolving'. How you made that tremendous leap in logic is amazing and has me chuckling.

So if your MRendu sounds one way with Cable A, another way with Cable B, then WHICH is the proper, highly resolving way of reconstituting the source track as the musician and mastering process intended?

It can't be both.

Plissken, sometimes I begin to take you serious as an engineer and then you post something like this. How can one piece of "good" equipment be resolving if it is in a system of poor components? I know you like to experiment.

Please connect an Emerson DVD player, a pair of bose speakers, and a Krell integrated amp. Let me know how immune that Krell amp is. You have to match components even cables OK? Do you even read your posts before hitting send?

Nordost Heimdall(2) 1 meter is up next. Let's see if a cable that is 1/100th the length, 776.6 times more expensive per foot can make any difference.

I'll get some tracks posted when I get a chance.

Yes it will if you give it a honest test.

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

Please connect an Emerson DVD player, a pair of bose speakers, and a Krell integrated amp. Let me know how immune that Krell amp is. You have to match components even cables OK? Do you even read your posts before hitting send?

What system of poor components? What Emerson DVD Player. Don't you run a $90 Asus Xonar DAC?

How do I determine if Chord/AQ/WW/Nordost/Cardas match with my Bryston,Lumin,Aeries,NAIM,Aurender,Bluenote,Marantz,

TEAC,Yamaha,Sony?

What can you expect from a malnourished cat with hearing aids? :)

Plissken, sometimes I begin to take you serious as an engineer and then you post something like this. How can one piece of "good" equipment be resolving if it is in a system of poor components? I know you like to experiment.

What can you expect from a malnourished cat with hearing aids? :)

So far the chops to set this all up and ADC and post tracks where either:

1. Subjectivists are too afraid to DL the tracks and listen and post the # of cable swaps and time.

2. Have some intellectual honesty and give it an attempt. Some said they couldn't hear a difference and some just ended up guessing but at least they had the guts to give it a shot.

Could always do this at your place.

come on over

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

come on over��

What's your nearest major airport. How much time would you consider needing on a 315 foot cable? What is your upstream network from the Aurender setup like?

My setup would be server/client/layer 3 switch with LAG and two cables to feed your Aurender.

You would have to be blinded to the actual evaluation process and of course it also hinges on what you are claiming. If you are saying you have to have something in for weeks/months @ a time then that's an issue obviously.

If the differences are night/day, plain to hear then that is quite another.

What system of poor components? What Emerson DVD Player. Don't you run a $90 Asus Xonar DAC?

How do I determine if Chord/AQ/WW/Nordost/Cardas match with my Bryston,Lumin,Aeries,NAIM,Aurender,Bluenote,Marantz,

TEAC,Yamaha,Sony?

I use a $90 Asus Xonar U7 "soundcard" as a USB interface from my HTPC. It is connected from the PC by a mapleshade USB cable to the soundcard and a Mapleshade Excalibur Plus coax cable from the soundcard to the Marantz 7702.

You would be amazed how quality cables can help you SAVE money by elevating the performance of a $90 sound card.

I use a $90 Asus Xonar U7 "soundcard" as a USB interface from my HTPC. It is connected from the PC by a mapleshade USB cable to the soundcard and a Mapleshade Excalibur Plus coax cable from the soundcard to the Marantz 7702.

How can one piece of "good" equipment be resolving if it is in a system of poor components? I know you like to experiment.

How can one piece of "good" equipment be resolving if it is in a system of poor components? I know you like to experiment.

1 piece of good equipment? The PC kicks butt, sitting on a Mapleshade isolation platform getting power from a Monster HTPS 7000 power conditioner through a Virtual Dynamics Nite power cord, As for the soundcard I like it for two reasons. First of all I can use a coax cable with it and I have a great voax cable, Next it comes with software that allows my to either upsample to 192/24 PCM OR to convert a stream to Dolby Digital. Sometimes I like Dolby Digital on stuff like youtube.

Just because something costs $90 doesn't mean it is no good :)