IGNORED

WireWorld Starlight CAT 8 cable review

Yesterday a friend was over and we compared an 8m run of WW Starlight to equivalent lengths of generic CAT5e and of optical fiber.

My friend sat in the listening chair in the sweet spot and I sat just off to his left. He selected a song that featured a female singer accompanied by a keyboard and then later a chorus.

What I heard surprised me. Her voice could be easily localized with the WW cable as emanating from a point between the speakers.

With the CAT5e her voice got smeared and lost focus. It was no longer emanating from a single point. I wondered if my friend had heard from the center seat, but I kept my mouth shut.

We did a few swaps, returning back to the beginning of the song each time. Finally I said: "ok what did you hear?". First words out of his mouth were something like: "with the CAT5e her voice got flattened and smeared, with WW brought it into greater focus". He shared a few more observations. None came as a surprise to me - I heard the same things.

With fiber, her voice again returned to the center, matching what we heard with the WW. The differences between the two became more difficult to sort out, but were interesting nonetheless. There was a blacker background with the fiber but maybe also a slight loss of.... well something. It was tough to wrap our heads around it. Was it an added resonance or was just more of something (bloom?) being passed properly? On a Peter Gabriel track, the difference amounted to changing the sense of size of the venue. I could not pick a winner as I wished instead that I could have a solution that combines the best qualities of both. The takeaway for me though was that a fiber solution costing me about $150 was much better than generic CAT5e and pretty much on par with an audiophile cable costing I think around $700 in this length (8m).

My goal in sharing all this isn't to convince the naysayers. While many of them have very sound reasons for being skeptical, there are also others who seem to get too much enjoyment from mocking those who report hearing differences in cables. I suspect expensive audiophile cables may be more important to the mockers than to those of us who actually spend large amounts of money on them. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Those are real time descriptions but the Ethernet side of it isn't. So here is the question: If you start playback and the vocals are not centered, does removing the cable while the vocals are sung instantly return them to the center? Because it certainly should due to your argument being tantamount to it being an issue of the cable connected regardless if data is flowing on the wire of if the OS has the NIC powered down for 5,6,7 seconds and then back up to fill the buffer.

I'm assuming you have a decent playback system or device that has a good 7-20 seconds of buffer.

I don't understand. If there is a buffer, it should be cleared each time to remove the buffer as a variable. Also, I try to keep test conditions the same by starting the song at the same point each time a swap is made.

Also afterwards, when finally sharing findings, it can sometimes be helpful to go back to the same section of the song to see if the findings hold up to greater scrutiny. They usually do, but often additional insight can be gained. Everyone listens for different things. It's fun to compare and contrast findings.

You should grab a friend and try some comparisons yourself.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

So can you try it? Can you queue up the song, start playback, and have someone remove the inferior cable during playback and see if the vocals come back to center.

I will - next time a friend comes over. What's interesting about my findings this time is that I'm running a network bridge. The Ethernet cable between my microRendu and one Ethernet port remained a 1m WW Starlight the entire time. It was the long run between the other Ethernet port and the wall that got swapped. I wonder what'll happen if the inferior cable is simply disconnected. I could even try with file stored locally as playback wouldn't get disrupted.

I'll let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

With the WW Starlight CAT8, if anyone ever doubted that an ethernet cable can sound different, all they have to do is listen to this cable. You don't even have to blind yourself because it's that obvious. The treble is definitely more energetic and there is the perception of more detail (perhaps hyper-etched detail).

I didn't observe this in my system. A possible explanation is offered by John Swenson here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/ethernet-cables-which-are-most-important-31052/index5.html#post618412

Quoting the relevant paragraph:

I think this is happening in "audiophile" network cables. They try a bunch of different things that worked for analog cables or maybe S/PDIF cables and by accident wind up lowering one type of distortion that helps with a particular PHY, but winds up increasing a different type of distortion. Then they start throwing money at it (silver wire, special connectors etc etc.) which don't actually do much. So you wind up with a very expensive cable which does give some improvement with some equipment that uses the same PHY as they used in their tests. But on other systems it doesn't improve anything or makes it worse.

If we are talking cable roulette then try it with a bunch of cheap ones to figure out what sounds best.

Agreed. I absolutely intend to do this.

I've haven't seen any claim that 10Mbps is audibly superior to 1000Mbps anywhere on any forum.

In the optical isolation threads there have been reports of sound quality benefits from moving to running at slower speeds - I think 100Mbps. Some have even swapped out their FMCs to accommodate this.

I can offer measurements in-lieu of recordings. People are making claims about what the DAC outputs. I have an ACD with 114dB SNR with which to directly capture the output and see if the claims stand.

I reported hearing a voice get smeared with one cable relative to the other. Assuming what I heard was truly there. How would that show up in your measurements?

What is being sent out to the amp, from the DAC is voltage, If they null out then what you think you heard wasn't truly there.

You really don't see that is not a good way to determine if there were small phase differences at a particular frequency or range of frequencies?

Phase should show up in the DAC output. It's completely measurable.

In other words, you have no clue how to devise a set of measurements that can confirm what listeners are reporting.

It's as if you think that finding that two pieces of fruit weigh exactly the same confirms that they will taste exactly the same.

My hypothesis is that two ~ equal measure Ethernet cables aren't going to have a measurable difference instrumentation wise.

Well you certainly have done a good job of devising a test that will prove your hypothesis correct.

Now if all that lines up with my hypothesis then it is what it is. It's starting to sound like the cable proponents are getting a bit nervous.

No it's more like we're stunned to see someone so blissfully unaware of how powerful a grip their bias has on them.

I'll put money on my bias vs yours.

An objective person would invite feedback on how they could make their tests more objective. A person who cares not about objectivity simply deflects, dodges and dissembles.

A cable can not sound anything that it does not measure.

At least two ways to interpret "can't measure":

1. Not possible to ever measure

2. Not possible presently given where things stand in terms of our present understandings and the set of tools available

I'm in the latter camp with respect to why "we" don't have measurements that align with many observations many are reporting. (I put we in scare quotes because I suspect many measurements exist but are guarded for competitive advantage.)

I several times asked how one would go about confirming with measurements what I heard with one cable smearing a voice. All I got back was the equivalent of a blank stare.

This misplaced belief that we don't know what measure for is problematic.

I think this is more of a statement about who's doing the measuring - and how they intend to apply the results. Particularly when you see statements like this:

Because if what you say is true then blinded testing would prove the measurement wrong.

(Deleted)

So let me know what the track is and the source is.

It doesn't dawn on you that you would need to have a system capable of revealing the differences I reported?

I'm jumping off now. It's pretty obvious your measurements are only going to prove what you want them to prove.

Ok, what is your system?

See my profile. I list it so that my reported observations can be taken in proper context. Also I feel it's important to provide context into my approach to system building.

Did it occur to you that I may a revealing system?

You don't list your system in your profile, so I assume you have a reason to not want readers to glean context from your system and your system building approach.

But to answer your question, no I don't. Given your bias, I can't imagine you'd have a system I'd find sufficient resolving. More on this below.

Why can't you simply supply the track and time of the smeared vocals?

The song is "It Is Well With My Soul" sung by Audrey Assad. The reason I didn't offer it before is because it's not about that particular song. It's about a change to my system that came about as a result of a swap of Ethernet cables. There were other songs we listened to that day when doing comparisons. The smearing/flattening was evident on all of them.

And I'm now going to poke a hole in your circle of logic: If I post two of the same track of what you provided and neither track has the smeared vocals, what's that say about the fidelity of your system that it would be affected by something as trivial as swapping out 12 feet out of a possible 328 feet of cable?

The downside to having a really revealing system is that it indiscriminately reveals details that might otherwise be obscured; both good and bad. It actually bothers me that I have to spend so much money to eliminate sources of noise that get in the way of musical enjoyment.

That you don't get this suggests that you most likely haven't been trying to improve the resolving capabilities of your own system. You would know that sometimes you don't always like what you hear when you can hear things more clearly. It can be like playing a game of whack-a-mole.

(As an aside, it just stunned me to find that the barrel adapter I was using between my microRendu and LPS-1 had been the source of the hot treble that came about after switching to a direct connection. Downside of improving clarity was that I more clearly head the harm this was doing.)

Let's go one better. Supply the track you mentioned, and if my system smears BOTH tracks then my system will suck. Right?[/u]

You do understand that "smear" is a relative term?

I'm certain that a year ago the differences we heard in that voice due to an Ethernet cable swap would have been difficult to detect in my system. Would I say that my system sucked back then? No, but it definitely had issues.

Today it still has issues! A year from now I have a feeling that it will be even easier to hear such differences, as that's been the trajectory of my system.

Those things that helped improve my system's resolving capabilities are pretty much exactly those audiophile improvements you rail against. That's why I can't help but think you likely have a system that will mask exactly the differences I've reported hearing.

And if I post that song as A/D through my system, and it maintains fidelity, with either 315 foot of bog standard, hand terminated by me, vs $330 12 foot cable. What does that inform you about?

It would covey no scientifically meaningful results as you've introduced too many variables.

See #2 here:

http://m.wikihow.com/Conduct-a-Science-Experiment

If you're going to play the science card then you should be held to that standard. Just saying that you have a transparent A/D doesn't cut it. You need to prove that your test suit is sufficiently resolving to detect the differences listeners have reported. You must also control the test conditions. Offering files to others to listen to as part of the test is about as unscientific as one can get.

Now if you were to acknowledge that what you are doing has no scientific merit, then this could be both fun and interesting. But as far as your approach being scientific - not even close.

All I have to prove is the A/D is accurate.

I'm stepping away as there's obviously nothing more I can add. Have fun!

Thanks, the 6000T has turned out to be worth every penny. Huge upgrade!

My sentiments exactly with regards to my 6000S.

• 2 weeks later...
I think this effectively puts a nail in the coffin of Steven Plaskin's review and others like Lavorgna, Van Es, Darko.

It's like beholding someone who thinks they've proven the earth flat because the wooden ruler they've placed on the ground lays there perfectly flat.

Am I somehow not being fair to the boutique cable?

You acknowledged that the equipment you used to evaluate these Ethernet cables was impervious to the differences Ethernet cables can make here. While at the same time you are running around placing blame on the cables themselves and those who claim hearing differences?

I must commend you though for your transparency.

(Deleted)

Only one of us is expressing any intellectual humility and honesty here.

Those who report hearing meaningful differences have expensive systems. So what do you do to debunk them? You assemble a test involving $200 worth of gear and behave like it provided a definitive answer on this topic. That's the exact opposite of intellectual humility and honesty.

But you won't evaluate the track and somehow that makes you un-biased?

Why waste the time? You've introduced so many variables that listening would provide no ability to draw any conclusions whatsoever. This is not a valid approach to accomplish what you are hoping. Your bias prevents you from seeing this.

The cheap, shitty, equipment should be more susceptible to these changes. The expensive, overbuilt equipment should be impervious to 12 foot of Ethernet cabling.

So your view is that the less resolving the component, the more likely it is that it will allow one to hear these differences?

Wow. I'm laughing uncontrollably.

Ok I'm really done this time.

Laugh it up - the point is that if your equipment is so poorly designed and implemented it can't behave properly with either a cheap cable or an expensive one, who's the fool?

I truly wish that my components were designed such that Ethernet cables didn't matter. My hope when purchasing the microRendu was that it would be immune to what's upstream as there was said to be some Ethernet isolation. Same for the Hugo TT, as I had hoped the galvanically isolated USB might help isolate from what's upstream as well.

Unfortunately that's proving to not be the case. In fact the opposite is true - what's upstream seems to matter even more. These components have increased resolution and significantly lowered the noise floor - making that these differences stand out even more.

I do hope that some day designers figure out how to eliminate the deleterious effects of digital cables without harming the ability of these components to be resolving of low level details. But my experience suggests they aren't there yet - and maybe not even close.

If you can point me to gear that's musically on par with what I what I own now, but isn't "poorly designed and implemented" then I will look into making some changes.

To my ears the Ethernet cables make a difference but I think I would start further up the chain with the recording itself.

Agree. Ethernet cables are a finishing touch.

This weekend I will get to hear in my system the Wireworld Ethernet cables above and below the Starlight in their lineup (Platinum Starlight and Chroma).