IGNORED

DAC Recommendation...

What ever you do , get a loaner or maybe someone who has one . While good dacs are good long term some can become annoying . It's one reason I like lampi it's areal camealian of sorts . Having an expensive DAC in your system is a really good idea also some kind of server . Rendu , and the like event cheap server is better than laptop or desk top . Unless you use a converter . Good luck

What ever you do , get a loaner or maybe someone who has one . While good dacs are good long term some can become annoying . It's one reason I like lampi it's areal camealian of sorts . Having an expensive DAC in your system is a really good idea also some kind of server . Rendu , and the like event cheap server is better than laptop or desk top . Unless you use a converter . Good luck

Thanks. Agree with your points.

At this level of subtlety, I will probably only choose something I can audition in my system - with the exception of the DA2 because I have a very clear idea of the sound (which I like a lot).

Also, see my system. I currently use a microRendu renderer, and I completely agree that this is the way to go (a renderer, not necessarily a microRendu).

I gather you have a Lampizator... How is the reliability? Any issues? What Lampi? I would like to audition a Golden Gate.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I have had about 6 Ina few years

I also have had four heads dacs I help him voice them. As of now I have two a bi 7 and a head dac

I also owna msb stack that I payed almost 40 k a few years ago

I have not had one issue as yet and mine go back and forth plenty as I Do upgrades and voice my opinions

The ones who have issues are really far and in between but Any tube device is subject to microphonics if used with Speakers this I have had a little but solved it with using my msb as a preamp

I don't sell them or any product and have no basis for liking them just being honest in my view. Consider one concept given almost any dac has one sound except for a few that have digital filters

A lampli full size is really many dacs in one there is a fit for any system or music genre

Do as you wish but get one there too many people spend big bucks on staus not sound

Thanks. Agree with your points.

At this level of subtlety, I will probably only choose something I can audition in my system - with the exception of the DA2 because I have a very clear idea of the sound (which I like a lot).

Also, see my system. I currently use a microRendu renderer, and I completely agree that this is the way to go (a renderer, not necessarily a microRendu).

I gather you have a Lampizator... How is the reliability? Any issues? What Lampi? I would like to audition a Golden Gate.

A while ago I was in the market for a new dac and auditioned the Emm Labs DAC2X. The sound was good (I was initially looking at a dCS Scarlatti and the DAC2X sounded more "live"). I think you will be impressed with what a Golden Gate can do, make sure to audition it as well. Besides the awesome sound, the GG is built like a tank. Since I do not have it that long I can't really say something about reliability but I didn't come across any issues reading the Lampi threads on different fora. Allthough the company is based in Poland, I believe they have someone who takes care of the service part in the US. If you are based in NY an audition wouldn't be a problem.

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

A while ago I was in the market for a new dac and auditioned the Emm Labs DAC2X. The sound was good (I was initially looking at a dCS Scarlatti and the DAC2X sounded more "live"). I think you will be impressed with what a Golden Gate can do, make sure to audition it as well. Besides the awesome sound, the GG is built like a tank. Since I do not have it that long I can't really say something about reliability but I didn't come across any issues reading the Lampi threads on different fora. Allthough the company is based in Poland, I believe they have someone who takes care of the service part in the US. If you are based in NY an audition wouldn't be a problem.

I've contacted them already. They don't have any GG loaners anymore (all sold I am told). So I will have to evaluate my options... I will not buy if I cannot have a listen in my system before I commit.

I might actually ask if they have a big7 I can borrow. Not the same DAC but likely the same sound signature. Anyone has opinions here?

I also have to say I find the Lampi website a bit confusing, what with R2R engine vs DSD - is it the case that in the R2R case a DSD input gets transcoded to PCM and then an R2R DAC is used?

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I

I also have to say I find the Lampi website a bit confusing, what with R2R engine vs DSD - is it the case that in the R2R case a DSD input gets transcoded to PCM and then an R2R DAC is used?

AL's B7 has been upgraded couple times...virtually a GG without the copper case. As he just got back his B7 HeadDac from another round of upgrades...he may be persuaded to do a show term loaner or in house demo.

regarding the converters...the GG HAS NO DAC CHIPS. R2R engine does ppm and dsd256. as an option you can get a separate dsd512 chipless engine and so have 2 different did converters in the single box. Both native and pure...there in never any format conversion in a lampi.

The head DAC is in my room now , dead silent . All functions working perfect and he has added a suprise . Hey Norman when you go through the menu I now have PCM /dsd

Dsd 512 cap 1 and dsd cap 2 , then spidif , AES and preamp . The kr242 is a nice tube so far very refined I see why some like them . No headphones in my speaker rig .

Normen email me in the morning what position for the px25 ? The kr242 is up and the px25 is down . Px4 ??

Why isn't the PS Audio Direct Stream on your short list? IMO it should be.

And I'll sell you my unopened one for $3100 plus shipping. I don't want to have to break it in again.

The ps audio is a nice DAC , but one needs to like its sound overall . I tried long and hard it never came to me . I for one could. Not Recomend one

Which firmare were you running? I'd agree with you if you were running either Pikes Peak or Yale, which I found to lack PRaT. But 1.21 and especially Torres are an entirely different matter.

I owned a pad mkii then updated. I sold it at Yale or what even was the last one that is still in use. It's PCM was good but it sold me on dsd. It was non fatiguing and nice Overall

just did hold me in like others did at one time I had many dacs and so,d them all of except three.

Why isn't the PS Audio Direct Stream on your short list? IMO it should be.

If you're asking me, I am looking for DACs in the 15-30 range. I am not fixated on the cost obviously... But it is highly unlikely a DAC in the PS Audio Direcstream range will be in the league.

I'm not looking for a change but an overall new level. My DAC is pretty good as it is, so I'm not in a hurry either.

system pics

I a bit of advice rarly in audio do you get better with price after about 8k or so also consider used and must be in your syatem at the price point your posting of.

Rapsidy has two places in nyc a nice honest man give him a try in his Show rooms

i cannot speak for him but he may let you audition stuff he is a msb dealer a fine dac I highly Recomend as well. I own one too.

You don't need a preamp with one either

+1 on Bob at Rhapsody. Terrific guy to deal with and to know in general. Loves his music too; every time I visit him, I come back with fantastic additions to my Tidal favorites.

I a bit of advice rarly in audio do you get better with price after about 8k or so also consider used and must be in your syatem at the price point your posting of.

Rapsidy has two places in nyc a nice honest man give him a try in his Show rooms

i cannot speak for him but he may let you audition stuff he is a msb dealer a fine dac I highly Recomend as well. I own one too.

On the 8k mark: Depends immensely, I respectfully disagree. Law of dimishing returns? Sure.

Rhapsody: I bought my Ongaku and AvantGardes from Bob.

system pics

I read my post I misspoke

what I meant was after 8 k it's must to hear in your system

and used devices is a great way to get EXP equipment cheaper

sorry for my very confusing post. Of course above 8 k devices get much better

Oh, yes, absolutely agree on the 8k mark then... :)

As for used, also quite agree, especially something with no mechanicals such as a DAC or amp. Speakers and turntable gear - much harder to buy used. I'm not tremendously price sensitive though... :)

system pics

The flip side is bad for brick and Morter in some ways

they may end up with old used trade in products they cannot sell

and buying used from private owners is bad for them too

we end users see things one way them the opposite a vicious circle.

There are two kinds of speakers I have grown to love my ribbons and yours horns

your horns I think does it right with a folded woofer in doing it this way the speed and efficncy is maintained Better. Good luck with your quest have you heard bobs select 2 ?