IGNORED

DAC Recommendation...

Any Dac is Roon ready. A bluesound Node2, which will be roon ready soon, can pass thru any digital signal.

I use a microRendu, so yes. But a DAC with a network connection should be RoonReady without the need for a microRendu or similar.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Check this out. A new DAC DSD ZWEIMANN – Sound for demanding People

Looks interesting but I am not inclined to purchase from any but the established manufacturers.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

You don't have to ;)

It was a polite expression - I won't

system pics

Or 2019, 2020 for the next big "whatever" :) I see the logic but at the current dev rate, you pretty much have to live in the moment imho.

I hear you. One year ago I expected that by CES 2017 most of the MQA questions would have been settled and things would be clearer...

Things like DXD and DSD128 have indeed settle in some shape or form (DSD128 getting DoP support for example). There's still what I would call the bleeding edge: DSD256, DSD512 and such which require special drivers... I am not really interested in that frankly.

This is why I have started to entertain the idea of an upgrade... I'm still thinking about it.

system pics

I hear you. One year ago I expected that by CES 2017 most of the MQA questions would have been settled and things would be clearer...

Things like DXD and DSD128 have indeed settle in some shape or form (DSD128 getting DoP support for example). There's still what I would call the bleeding edge: DSD256, DSD512 and such which require special drivers... I am not really interested in that frankly.

This is why I have started to entertain the idea of an upgrade... I'm still thinking about it.

Well on the positive side of things, there are so many great products avail to choose from, probably to a fault though in some respects.

It's a great time if one is in upgrade mode! :)

If the DSD piece is in your wheelhouse, I think Lampi or the T&A is worth considering, imho of course.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

My rig

If the DSD piece is in your wheelhouse, I think Lampi or the T&A is worth considering, imho of course.

T&A: I think I want something higher end than that. It does DSD512, but there are a lot of playback reliability issues with that. Ok sticking with DSD128 over DoP.

Lampi: I have read about reliability issues with it. Is this true? Besides, I

have read they have a tube character. I have enough tubes as it is (SET amp).

system pics

T&A: I think I want something higher end than that. It does DSD512, but there are a lot of playback reliability issues with that. Ok sticking with DSD128 over DoP.

Mig, I have had 4 different Lampi over 6 years. No reliability issues, except for shipment damage once that was corrected and that was 4 years ago.

For your setup, the Golden Atlantic would be ideal. R2R and DSD256 as standard. You can do Bal or SE. The Atlantic has a more SS sound and is seemless in playback of formats. R2R and chipless architecture. Many tubeheads use Lampis. LampiNA willgive you a trial period with money back if you dont like and they are in Long Island.

If not, the Ayre or the Aqua Dacs are quite well regarded as well.

Again there are so many great products available and shouldn't be limited to Lampi. All I can say is if HQP and DSD are an important piece, Lampi should be high on the list though.

Many if not most of us Lampi users are in the HQP DSD arena because that's where these DACs shine - their so damn musical.

I wouldn't worry at all with regards to tubes (sound wise) in your rig as well as reliability as I don't know of any issues. I would defer the high level specifics to Wisnon :)

My rig

That seems to be the general consensus on the R2R and that's great. I'm happy using the sep DSD engine :)

Well the DSD was long ago a champ, so I totally understand.

What I love now is being able to play a mixed playlist with no pops and to switch to the separate DSD engine on the fly with that set to a different volume level (+6db higher). Both engines have different volume controls. Also when you accidentally play back PCM on the DSD512 engine you just get silence!

Yup, loving it!

I can second the Atlantic. I use it in balanced mode with an all tube setup for headphone listening (Atlantic -> McIntosh C500T -> Woo WA22) and the sound is magical. All tube systems are extremely quiet and I have to turn the C500T to a very high level before I can hear any noise (with no music playing).

TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
Mobile: AK240, Shure 846
I can second the Atlantic. I use it in balanced mode with an all tube setup for headphone listening (Atlantic -> McIntosh C500T -> Woo WA22) and the sound is magical. All tube systems are extremely quiet and I have to turn the C500T to a very high level before I can hear any noise (with no music playing).

Sounds like a good recommendation. How does it compare to your turntable?

Miguelito, here is a link to Michael Lavorgna's reviews from the Stereophile Audiostream site that he runs. He has reviews (and comparitive commentary in some cases) that include the DCS Rossini, and one of the TotalDac models that might be helpful. They also link to the complete reviews of each unit.

Here is a direct links to the Total Dac he most enjoyed, and the one I would look at, if I had the budget, and need. I would, however, not rule out one of the top Lampizators. I have heard nothing but absolute raves from people whose ears I respect.

AudioStreams #9 | Stereophile.com

JC

Sounds like a good recommendation. How does it compare to your turntable?

Slight preference being the turntable setup with a clean piece of vinyl. But, I can see myself just using the turntable for critical listening with my favorite albums in the future. Also, a lot of the music I have doesn't have a vinyl release. This is the first time I've been really happy with PCM digital files. I've always enjoyed SACD/DSD files though, even with a cheaper (but still "good") DAC. Of course, these files also sound even better with the Atlantic :)

That Total DAC looks nice. Would like to listen to one of those. Quite a bit pricier than the Atlantic I bought, though.

TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
Slight preference being the turntable setup with a clean piece of vinyl. But, I can see myself just using the turntable for critical listening with my favorite albums in the future. Also, a lot of the music I have doesn't have a vinyl release. This is the first time I've been really happy with PCM digital files. I've always enjoyed SACD/DSD files though, even with a cheaper (but still "good") DAC. Of course, these files also sound even better with the Atlantic :)

That Total DAC looks nice. Would like to listen to one of those. Quite a bit pricier than the Atlantic I bought, though.

Thanks, are you upsampling PCM, the reviews suggest this sounds best?

No, I don't upsample anything.

Ha! Yeah... Except for the power cord (although I am trying out a Wells Audio Looking Glass Reference power conditioner). Also tried many forms of rendering (mini's USB, Aries, microRendu).

Looking for a DAC that can do DSD128 over DoP well.

Audiobyte Black Dragon

Black Dragon | Audiobyte

Audiobyte Black Dragon DAC | Hifi Pig

Audiobyte Black Dragon – stereodesk

https://headmania.org/2014/06/04/audiobyte-black-dragon-review/

PCM

o 44.1 KHz

o 48 KHz

o 88.2 KHz

o 96 KHz

o 176.4 KHz

o 192 KHz

o 352.8 KHz

o 384 KHz

DSD

o 2.8 MHz (DSD64) - DoP, native

o 5.6 MHz (DSD128) - DoP, native

o 32 bit over I2S and USB

o 24 bit over S/PDIF, AES/EBU, TOSLINK

Ha! Yeah... Except for the power cord (although I am trying out a Wells Audio Looking Glass Reference power conditioner). Also tried many forms of rendering (mini's USB, Aries, microRendu).

Looking for a DAC that can do DSD128 over DoP well.

Rockna WAVEDREAM DAC

Wavedream DAC | Rockna Audio

PCM

o 44.1 KHz

o 48 KHz

o 88.2 KHz

o 96 KHz

o 176.4 KHz

o 192 KHz

o 352.8 KHz

o 384 KHz

DSD64

DSD128

DSD256

DSD512

Send Mail to Rockna about this DAC supports Dop

You get answers from Rockna boss himself.

He knows everything about DAC

Rockna DAC is R2R.