All the barrels were already not connected to any cabling whatsoever so I'm not expecting much, certainly no detriment, in respect of the Intona or W4S.

The worst is that the barrels could have been tiny antennas, which are now isolated - it won't affect the data only connections - I can't see how it could.

Will listen tonight and report

;-)

Looking forward to hear your impressions! :) Learning from @moussaobeid it might be wise not to have the USB barrels connected to the Intona covered with tape.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Yes Cornan, will let you know how the Voltcraft fits in my system. I'm sure it's going to be a good choice based on your experience.

For the past 2 years I've been seeking an elusive goal - to get as far from the "bleeding ears" sound when I started with digital audio when I was playing music from my MacBook Pro laptop. At first it was spending lots of cash on expensive gear which got me 95% of the way but there was always a lingering hiss or edge to voice and treble. This became more and more subtle as I made improvements but still remained.

Over the past few months with understanding of ground leaks and ac isolation etc (and like you adding an Isolation transformer due to John Swensons and others great advice), this edge had gone completely.

With my recent tweak of the isolated Wavio board powered by LPS1 I'm in audio heaven. Voices are shocking (bar the occasional bad recording) and often when I'm listening I jump at the realism - mistaking parts of the audio as if they are coming from outside or from somewhere in my apartment. The music pleasure is wonderful and that's why I'm losing interest in further expenditure. Except possibly for a customised diy rack which I have a plan for ...[emoji41]

This is all thanks to people like you (also @John Swenson, @Superdad, and others too many to mention) By sharing new discoveries on the great forums and threads here it's a great time for audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks tapatrick, It will be very interesting to know if you hear the same improvements in your setup. The facts that my whole TV setup (plus security alarm, uphill FMC battery charger and Apple TV) is connected to the same ac mains outlet as my router is likely a reason for the great SQ improvements I hear in my own setup.

The CA community is really awesome! There is a lot of great knowledge to collect here for anyone that are curious enough to find it. I am still learning! ;)

I might look into that WaveIO board as well! :) Just a pity that I currently do not have any IS2 connections! :(

🎛️  Audio System  

All the barrels were already not connected to any cabling whatsoever so I'm not expecting much, certainly no detriment, in respect of the Intona or W4S.

The worst is that the barrels could have been tiny antennas, which are now isolated - it won't affect the data only connections - I can't see how it could.

Will listen tonight and report

;-)

If you look at ground it is usually a mix of AC and DC currents/noises. Just thinking that my USB cables is surrounded by it almost gives me sleepless nights. Almost! (but not any more) ;)

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the taped barrels turns out in your setup which I know is very isolated already. :)

🎛️  Audio System  

Thanks tapatrick, It will be very interesting to know if you hear the same improvements in your setup. The facts that my whole TV setup (plus security alarm, uphill FMC battery charger and Apple TV) is connected to the same ac mains outlet as my router is likely a reason for the great SQ improvements I hear in my own setup.

That's interesting you have your router, Tv etc connected to its own ac outlet. I will experiment whether to connect my Voltcraft by its own ac or within my 5 gang which is supplied by the Topaz Isolation transformer and powers my other audio components.

The CA community is really awesome! There is a lot of great knowledge to collect here for anyone that are curious enough to find it. I am still learning! ;)

[emoji41][emoji106] Totally agree!

I might look into that WaveIO board as well! :) Just a pity that I currently do not have any IS2 connections! :(

I recommend it and Lucian R is really great to deal and helps with any queries or experiments. Remember it also has an isolated spdif output and the board has good clocks, both of these features plus LPS1 power explain the major SQ jump.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

With my recent tweak of the isolated Wavio board powered by LPS1 I'm in audio heaven. Voices are shocking (bar the occasional bad recording) and often when I'm listening I jump at the realism - mistaking parts of the audio as if they are coming from outside or from somewhere in my apartment.

Funny you should mention that as my old (but really hard to beat) Hovland/Swenson NOS PCM1704 DAC (discrete output stage, multiple choke-filtered supplies, etc.) has a LuckIt WaveIO, and last week I noticed there is room in the chassis for an LPS-1. So I am hoping this weekend to wire one in to power the WaveIO.

Glad you did it first and liked the results. Thanks for reminding me! ;)

--Alex C.

P.S. And yes, Lucian is a terrific guy. Too bad he takes forever to develop new products. I think WaveIO is still his only available product.

Funny you should mention that as my old (but really hard to beat) Hovland/Swenson NOS PCM1704 DAC (discrete output stage, multiple choke-filtered supplies, etc.) has a LuckIt WaveIO, and last week I noticed there is room in the chassis for an LPS-1. So I am hoping this weekend to wire one in to power the WaveIO.

Glad you did it first and liked the results. Thanks for reminding me! ;)

--Alex C.

P.S. And yes, Lucian is a terrific guy. Too bad he takes forever to develop new products. I think WaveIO is still his only available product.

Interesting Alex, my Aqua La Voce 2 is a PCM1704 NOS as well, a sweet sounding and much loved item in my system.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

I'd say no difference.

TBH, SQ is crazy good... any further gains are going to be minimal.

If you look at ground it is usually a mix of AC and DC currents/noises. Just thinking that my USB cables is surrounded by it almost gives me sleepless nights. Almost! (but not any more) ;)

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the taped barrels turns out in your setup which I know is very isolated already. :)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

No covered them all, it probably wouldn't make a difference anyway. I'm running out of tweaks, which is a good thing.

Thanks r_w! Did you try not to cover the USB plugs connected to the Intona, but all remaining ones covered?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I did a interesting experiment yesterday. The purpose was really to get rid of my 10m fuchsia coloured fiber-optical cable that is running through my appartment. Understandably my GF is not thrilled about that cable. I decided to use my TP-Link RE450 range extender in wireless bridge mode so I could connect my FMCs 10 times closer to my main audio rig and get that cable into stealth mode. The RE450 is connected to the same ac wall outlet as my on/off switched power bar (always off while listening to music) for my battery chargers via a ac splitter and the other socket of the ac outlet goes to my ATL DC blocker>Peaktech2240 tech style ISO transformer.

I expected a change for the worse...but I actually like the change! ? It have not changed much at all, but the sound have become slightly softer overall. I cannot detect any lost of details, bass performance, 3D, dynamics etc. Just a leaner sound compared to when connected directly to the router. I am very surprised...but it is a happy surprise, both for me AND my family! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi Cornan, as I posted on the Aries mini v MR v SMS200 thread: I purchased the Voltcraft LPS to power my router on your glowing praise for the products (I got the FSP 1132; the 11-14v 2.5A version). This has to be one of the best deals that I've added to my system for cost to benefit, only £43 + shipping. Thank you!

I had trouble initially as the barrel connector on my router is not a standard one. So I've set up a temp connection using the older wire and connector, as I want to add a DIY silver wire for the power cable. Suffice to say the Voltcraft is a significant addition. More detail and depth to the overall sound, more sparkle and richness but no added brightness or harshness in any way. Like you I've got it connected separately from my audio system but might try it connected after the Topaz Isolator to see how this works. Thanks for the heads up - a real find, especially as other 'audiophile' LPS options can run into the £100's. It's not just that it is inexpensive it really adds to the system.

I also later added a cable isolator: CGLI-2 Cable HDTV ground loop isolator (which I first bought for my Sat TV cable but it didnt work, as it cut the signal off) so I though to try it on my cable internet input to my router and it worked! This cleaned up the sound too on Tidal, not major but noticeable in my system.

Hi Cornan, as I posted on the Aries mini v MR v SMS200 thread: I purchased the Voltcraft LPS to power my router on your glowing praise for the products (I got the FSP 1132; the 11-14v 2.5A version). This has to be one of the best deals that I've added to my system for cost to benefit, only £43 + shipping. Thank you!

I had trouble initially as the barrel connector on my router is not a standard one. So I've set up a temp connection using the older wire and connector, as I want to add a DIY silver wire for the power cable. Suffice to say the Voltcraft is a significant addition. More detail and depth to the overall sound, more sparkle and richness but no added brightness or harshness in any way. Like you I've got it connected separately from my audio system but might try it connected after the Topaz Isolator to see how this works. Thanks for the heads up - a real find, especially as other 'audiophile' LPS options can run into the £100's. It's not just that it is inexpensive it really adds to the system.

I also later added a cable isolator: CGLI-2 Cable HDTV ground loop isolator (which I first bought for my Sat TV cable but it didnt work, as it cut the signal off) so I though to try it on my cable internet input to my router and it worked! This cleaned up the sound too on Tidal, not major but noticeable in my system.

You´re welcome tapatrick! Really great to hear that the Voltcraft did some wonders in your setup as well! :) I have been enjoying my improved SQ immensely ever since I installed it.

SAT DC blocker is much more difficult to get a firm grip on. There so many different DC blockers around with different bandwidth, return loss and blocking ranges. I know my Axing SZU 14-00 DC blocker did a pretty good clean up in my SAT signal, but that was all before the battery powered FMCs, Voltcraft and my new QED Reference STV SAT cable. I actually used both a Supra ground isolator and Axing DC blocker in each end before the FMCs, and when I got the FMCs the Supra ground blocker only made things worse. Anyway, as soon as I am home alone (due to internet interruptions) I will try without the Axing again and see if it still makes the same improvement. I would´nt be surpriced if it have changed ones again after the Voltcraft & QED Reference! :D

🎛️  Audio System  

SAT DC blocker is much more difficult to get a firm grip on. There so many different DC blockers around with different bandwidth, return loss and blocking ranges. I know my Axing SZU 14-00 DC blocker did a pretty good clean up in my SAT signal, but that was all before the battery powered FMCs, Voltcraft and my new QED Reference STV SAT cable. I actually used both a Supra ground isolator and Axing DC blocker in each end before the FMCs, and when I got the FMCs the Supra ground blocker only made things worse. Anyway, as soon as I am home alone (due to internet interruptions) I will try without the Axing again and see if it still makes the same improvement. I would´nt be surpriced if it have changed ones again after the Voltcraft & QED Reference! :D

Yes, I also find the SAT cable isolators are confusing. Curious as always to see if that will make any different to your system. We never know where we will end up or what we will find out on this ever windying road of tweaking and tinkering...:)

How would you rate the effect of the ATL DC blocker before your Peaktech on overall SQ? I don't have much hum as such from my Topaz except right up close, so wouldnt need the ATL just to reduce hum.

Yes, I also find the SAT cable isolators are confusing. Curious as always to see if that will make any different to your system. We never know where we will end up or what we will find out on this ever windying road of tweaking and tinkering...:)

How would you rate the effect of the ATL DC blocker before your Peaktech on overall SQ? I don't have much hum as such from my Topaz except right up close, so wouldnt need the ATL just to reduce hum.

Very confusing indeed. But since the SAT DC blockers are mainly made with TV/HDTV in mind there is not much focus on the audio side of things. Also I have found that you can get various specs of the very same DC blocker depending where you buy it. Annoying to say the least! ;) Anyway, I will post back here as soon as I have made some more SAT DC blocker experiments in my current setup.

The ATL Hifi DC Blocker Trap Filter was really a long shot to begin with, especially when considering that the only devices connected to the same ac mains socket as my audio rig was battery chargers that I always disconnects from the ac mains anyway. My primary task was really to block DC currents coming from the rest my household. Anyway, after a post from @Middy that he had ordered the ALT DC Blocker I had a look at it. I liked the construction, the price was very good and some other people joined in with recommendations for ATL Hifi's products so I decided to ordered a special made in-line version for my unshielded DH-Lab SSPRS ac mains cable with Furutech rhodium ac mains plugs I had recently bought. The reason why I wanted a in-line version was that I did´nt like the idea to have more ac mains plugs than neccessary between the wall outlet and my Peaktech 2240.

Even if I did´nt expect much to begin with the ALT DC Blocker did improve my overall SQ by bringing a more dynamic sound signature. I would´nt want to be without it! I have however promised @YashN to evaluate the ATL and post it to the AC Filtering, Ground Boxes, Linear PSU and Balanced Power thread. I have just been waiting for a pair of DH-Labs SSPRS for my active speakers which I recently got (which improved the speakers a lot btw) As soon as I have got time I will do a fair and square eveluation with and without the ATL once and for all. I will ofcourse post it here as well if you want?

If the ATL wins that battle I have promised myself to order another one for my Voltcraft FPS-1134.

🎛️  Audio System  

Great, thanks Cornan. I noticed the price of those Sat DC blockers varies considerably with ridiculous shipping costs in some cases. I ordered one from Germany quite cheap to see how it will work.

And yes would love to hear how your testing of the ATL goes. I agree about all the plugs and sockets, not ideal. Many thanks.

Great, thanks Cornan. I noticed the price of those Sat DC blockers varies considerably with ridiculous shipping costs in some cases. I ordered one from Germany quite cheap to see how it will work.

And yes would love to hear how your testing of the ATL goes. I agree about all the plugs and sockets, not ideal. Many thanks.

Yeah! Some of those guys are earning a fortune on freight charges! ;)

I promise to report back on the ATL re-evaluation asap! I really like Alex @ATL Hifi and hope his DC Blocker will win that battle, but I'll promise to tell the truth...and nothing but the truth about what I'll hear! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Yeah! Some of those guys are earning a fortune on freight charges! ;)

I promise to report back on the ATL re-evaluation asap! I really like Alex @ATL Hifi and hope his DC Blocker will win that battle, but I'll promise to tell the truth...and nothing but the truth about what I'll hear! [emoji4]

Great Cornan! [emoji106] I'm now going to shift my attention to physical isolation and build a DIY rack. I've got a plan based on the great input from the Isolation thread. [emoji846]

Great Cornan! [emoji106] I'm now going to shift my attention to physical isolation and build a DIY rack. I've got a plan based on the great input from the Isolation thread. [emoji846]

Funny, I am just experimenting with physical isolation when I am writing this. I got my Valab aluminium feets with internal copper balls and are trying a DIY ball & cup version, my MoPads, Italian wall tiles and combinations of the four under my active speakers in (secondary setup). The speakers are on a bench which of course is not optimal, but no other choise right now. No clear winner so far (maybe Valab?)..but I am still evaluating.

Good luck with your rack and do not forget to post about it here. I'm very curious! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

I love reading this thread. The guys are always isolating something, mechanical or electrical. A lot to learn from all of you guys, keep it going!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Great to hear moussaobeid! ?

Isolation is da thing! My problem now is to isolate the bench under my speakers as well. I am figuring I'll need to buy 8 PC's sorbothane feets for the bench legs (yes, it is two benches side by side, ie 8 legs), sorbothane sheets in-between the two benches (since they are touching each other) plus find a solution to dampen the 1950 style sliding-doors. I am not at the finish-line just yet! ?

Next after that will be room treatment, but I (well someone else as well ?) refuse to use more than 9-12 PC's of these on the wall behind my speakers http://m.banggood.com/30x30x5cm-Red-Acoustic-Soundproof-Foam-Sound-Absorbing-Waved-Sponge-p-1110692.html?utm_campaign=android-share&utm_source=www&android_share=1utm_campaign=android-share&utm_source=www&android_share=1

🎛️  Audio System  

Cornan, that's an interesting project on your hands. It will be great to hear the results once you are done. I take things a bit more conveniently it seems. I have a pair of Neat IOTA speakers Neat Acoustics IOTA product information and to isolate them I got ISO-L8R130 ISO-L8R130 Isolation Stands | IsoAcoustics

They sound great this way, of course it takes a lot more effort to isolate them even more :)

Great to hear moussaobeid! 

Isolation is da thing! My problem now is to isolate the bench under my speakers as well. I am figuring I'll need to buy 8 PC's sorbothane feets for the bench legs (yes, it is two benches side by side, ie 8 legs), sorbothane sheets in-between the two benches (since they are touching each other) plus find a solution to dampen the 1950 style sliding-doors. I am not at the finish-line just yet! 

Next after that will be room treatment, but I (well someone else as well ?) refuse to use more than 9-12 PC's of these on the wall behind my speakers 30x30x5cm Red Acoustic Soundproof Foam Sound Absorbing Waved Sponge Sale - Banggood Mobile

Cornan, that's an interesting project on your hands. It will be great to hear the results once you are done. I take things a bit more conveniently it seems. I have a pair of Neat IOTA speakers Neat Acoustics IOTA product information and to isolate them I got ISO-L8R130 ISO-L8R130 Isolation Stands | IsoAcoustics

They sound great this way, of course it takes a lot more effort to isolate them even more :)

Great speakers and great stands moussaobeid! ??

I was planning to buy the same Isoacoustic stands as well, but I want to keep the price down a bit on my secondary setup since I mainly use it for background music. I bought the MoPads instead and planned for additional isolation experiments from top to bottom (ie. making sure the speakers have good isolation & coupling before moving down to isolate the not so stabile foundation of my bench). I will post back when I have come down to the next level! ?

BTW. Those benches are filled with roughly 100-150kg of stuff to make it as stabile as possible to begin with.

🎛️  Audio System