I received my chinease Gophert CPS-3205 II floating lab style SMPS today. It is really small. To give you an idea just how small I have the TP-Link Vivid powerbank it replaces on the picture as well as the Audioquest NRG-2 that I will use as a power feed cable.

IMG_5899.thumb.JPG.83b0cdd2ae301a93d28802982087a3ec.JPG

Started to check the voltage precision. Perfect! ?

IMG_5900.thumb.JPG.ccc0605bf7b8b5e961e673d9027a8a93.JPG

Next up I made a DC cable with the supplied lab cable and a screw terminal DC2,1/5,5mm plug. Do not worry. I will make a shorter one later on. I just want to be 100% sure I want it to stay. ?

IMG_5901.thumb.JPG.9487727c75dbe0d8fd292c27dfd50ed7.JPG

Finally I installed it powering my Oehlback DAC Edition 40 with the Audioquest NRG-2 plugged in to my Ultra Isolation Transformer and had a listen to Bob Moses album "All In All".

IMG_5902.thumb.JPG.654c269e13ec7345be6c7f15b510531c.JPG

Now, you all know how I feel about battery power. Did it really improve upon my TP-Link Vivid? Yes it did! ? The sound opened up and imaging got wider. Firm bass notes and above all a sence of eaze. I feel more relaxed without really being able to point out why. A natural flow have been added plus an improved presence. 

Do I need to say that it will stay? ? I am very happy! ?

It looks like the OTG cable will arrive after the Easter holiday. Hopefully the OTG>USB network adapter>Network switch>Wireless adapter will squeeze out some more SQ from my low budget setup. It sounds really great already! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, mozes said:

My pace is very fast @Cornan just like digital :)

Iooking at the humble power consumption of my devices I don't think I need the JS-2 it is a beast. It may be replaced by a VR 

I would say your pace is faster than digital! ?

VR Mini is a really great choise as well. No doubt! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, mozes said:

I tried before an Elgar IT 2.4KVA but it hsed to hum, and my small BK IT also hums and my famous Naim transformers also hums. so enough humming in my world :)

I am tempted by trying the ISO Regen upstream of the tX, I already sold one LPS-1 and the RUR and Intona are listed in the market so this should fund itself 

I hear you! ? However, not all are making noises. My Peaktech 2240 was dead silent even before I added the DC blocker. It is probably one of my best hifi purchases ever. Sadly it is a EU only thing... ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Very low power consumption on the Vbus from the tX to the Brooklyn, 0.06A does it make sense?

vbus.jpg

Yes absolutely, it helps.

Based on your earlier reading, that tells me the intervals of the tX draw approx 477 - 60 = 417 mA.

Add to that the 250 mA my Codex draws, we're up to a current demand of 667 mA.

In terms of PSU sizing, the other unknown is that my tX will be driving all 4 clock taps, 2 to the sMS-200, and 1 to the Zyxel switch. This could add up to more current.  But it would have to be around 400mA to overload an LPS-1.

So for now, I am very hopeful an LPS-1 will do the job.

12 hours ago, mozes said:

Can you believe I got the exact same DMM today? I was looking for the reference in my email to chat about it with some Electronics-minded folks and found this post :P

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

34 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Based on your earlier reading, that tells me the intervals of the tX draw approx 477 - 60 = 417 mA.

In terms of PSU sizing, the other unknown is that my tX will be driving all 4 clock taps, 2 to the sMS-200, and 1 to the Zyxel switch. This could add up to more current.  But it would have to be around 400mA to overload an LPS-1.

Of course, my calculations make an important assumption that the current demands stay fairly constant over the supported voltage range. You have the "12V version" of the tX-USBultra, while I will have the standard version, which is said to operated in the 6-9V range. I'll be running the LPS-1 at 7V.

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I received my chinease Gophert CPS-3205 II floating lab style SMPS today. It is really small. To give you an idea just how small I have the TP-Link Vivid powerbank it replaces on the picture as well as the Audioquest NRG-2 that I will use as a power feed cable.

IMG_5899.thumb.JPG.83b0cdd2ae301a93d28802982087a3ec.JPG

Started to check the voltage precision. Perfect! ?

IMG_5900.thumb.JPG.ccc0605bf7b8b5e961e673d9027a8a93.JPG

Next up I made a DC cable with the supplied lab cable and a screw terminal DC2,1/5,5mm plug. Do not worry. I will make a shorter one later on. I just want to be 100% sure I want it to stay. ?

IMG_5901.thumb.JPG.9487727c75dbe0d8fd292c27dfd50ed7.JPG

Finally I installed it powering my Oehlback DAC Edition 40 with the Audioquest NRG-2 plugged in to my Ultra Isolation Transformer and had a listen to Bob Moses album "All In All".

IMG_5902.thumb.JPG.654c269e13ec7345be6c7f15b510531c.JPG

Now, you all know how I feel about battery power. Did it really improve upon my TP-Link Vivid? Yes it did! ? The sound opened up and imaging got wider. Firm bass notes and above all a sence of eaze. I feel more relaxed without really being able to point out why. A natural flow have been added plus an improved presence. 

Do I need to say that it will stay? ? I am very happy! ?

It looks like the OTG cable will arrive after the Easter holiday. Hopefully the OTG>USB network adapter>Network switch>Wireless adapter will squeeze out some more SQ from my low budget setup. It sounds really great already! ?

Congrats!

very smart choice, so SMPS is not always evil when you have an IT in place. Can pls you post a link to where you got it from

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I hear you! ? However, not all are making noises. My Peaktech 2240 was dead silent even before I added the DC blocker. It is probably one of my best hifi purchases ever. Sadly it is a EU only thing... ?

You are either lucky or a smart shopper :)

56 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I think you are fine with the LPS-1, it seems that in general all devices actually draw much much lower current than what manufacturers claim or recommend PSU for

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

. My Peaktech 2240 was dead silent even before I added the DC blocker. It is probably one of my best hifi purchases ever. Sadly it is a EU only thing... ?

Is there a more powerful version, a few K at least, to power the whole system ?

28 minutes ago, mozes said:

Congrats!

very smart choice, so SMPS is not always evil when you have an IT in place. Can pls you post a link to where you got it from

Thanks Moussa! ? 

Actually, I have the Gophert installed into my star grounded Naim Music line powerstrip now. It actually sounds a tad better. Remember that the Gophert have the DC output floating relative to the safety ground. Also the Ultra IT I am using for my low budget setup do not have a floating secondary. It have low inter-winding capasitance but a grounded secondary with a electromagnetic and electrostatic shield between primary and secondary windings. It is not grounded to the chassi and therefore works a bit different to a IT with floating secondary.

Anyway, a long story! ? Here is my previous post with a link to the Gophert I bought on a special offer (but it is cheap even without the offer)

🎛️  Audio System  

27 minutes ago, sbilotta said:

Is there a more powerful version, a few K at least, to power the whole system ?

Unfortunately the Peaktech 2240 is only 500w and 230v. However, they also have Peaktech 2235 http://www.peaktech.de/productdetail/kategorie/dc-netzgeraete/produkt/p-2235.html which is an isolation transformer with floating secondary combined with a DC lab supply which is quite interesting as well! ? It is more powerful with 1000w and actually accepts both 115v and 230v AC input. Have'nt tried it myself, but have full confidence in Peaktech's product range and quality.

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Based on your earlier reading, that tells me the internals of the tX draw approx 477 - 60 = 417 mA.

I got another data point from @romaz where he's seeing ~200mA current drawn at 9V by his modded dX-USB HD Ultra.

All this data suggests the LPS-1 should be great with the tX-USBultra.

Will let you know once mine gets in.

Remember the variable RCA attenuators? I finally found a good place for them on my speaker input.

IMG_5903.thumb.JPG.318ee618ea5a45976fa276aa4a507532.JPG

Now I can have the speaker volume on maximum level and still have a good volume range via BubbleUPnP. Even better, the sq jumped a notch as well with a tad leaner sound! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hey @Cornan

Have you checked out the new Aries Mini 5.0 beta1 firmware, along with the beta Lightning 4.2 beta app?

I am very impressed with Auralic - this is a huge upgrade - for free for existing customers. See:

I have seen that it have been released, but I have'nt tried it just yet. Too busy listening and fiddling with my low budget speaker setup! ?

I will have a listen to it tomorrow. Great to know it is that good. Auralic is really amazing giving so many great upgrades for old costumers! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Yeah baby! Listening do Diana Krall "Wallflower" and I got proper shivers of joy for the first time on my low budget setup. My neck hair is standing straight. It's the sign that I have been waiting for. I am definately on track now! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

7 hours ago, Cornan said:

Thanks Moussa! ? 

Actually, I have the Gophert installed into my star grounded Naim Music line powerstrip now. It actually sounds a tad better. Remember that the Gophert have the DC output floating relative to the safety ground. Also the Ultra IT I am using for my low budget setup do not have a floating secondary. It have low inter-winding capasitance but a grounded secondary with a electromagnetic and electrostatic shield between primary and secondary windings. It is not grounded to the chassi and therefore works a bit different to a IT with floating secondary.

Anyway, a long story! ? Here is my previous post with a link to the Gophert I bought on a special offer (but it is cheap even without the offer)

@Cornan can you pls explain in English this part "the DC output floating relative to the safety ground" and also this one "inter-winding capasitance but a grounded secondary with a electromagnetic and electrostatic shield between primary and secondary windings"

6 hours ago, Cornan said:

Remember the variable RCA attenuators? I finally found a good place for them on my speaker input.

IMG_5903.thumb.JPG.318ee618ea5a45976fa276aa4a507532.JPG

Now I can have the speaker volume on maximum level and still have a good volume range via BubbleUPnP. Even better, the sq jumped a notch as well with a tad leaner sound! ?

Very handy, I thought these may have a negative impact on sound

9 hours ago, mozes said:

Very handy, I thought these may have a negative impact on sound

AFAIK attenuators have no negative impact to SQ except for the additional connection. They are quite transparent. You will normally find them in passive preamps for example which is normally a better choise than an active preamp if you want to limit the affects on the sound signature.

Now, it is still a connection and any additional connection can have a limited negative effect to sq. However, if you use attenuators where it is needed (with too high input signal) they can give you a greater volume range and a better sq despite this. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

9 hours ago, mozes said:

DC output floating relative to the safety ground

This means that the ac input safety ground is completely isolated from the DC output of the PSU. The safety ground is floating, ie. connected to the psu chassi instead of passing it through to the DC output. 

9 hours ago, mozes said:

inter-winding capasitance but a grounded secondary with a electromagnetic and electrostatic shield between primary and secondary windings

The answer to this question could fill a whole thread, so I will provide a link with some information of Ultra ITs instead http://www.aelgroup.co.uk/faq/faq061.php

In short words Ultra ITs attenuates common-mode noise since primary & secondary windings are isolated from each other, but the noise is shunted to the safety ground and is not floating as on a tech style IT with floating secondary. 

In general I prefer a tech style IT but with power amps and active speakers I would actually prefer both in series.

🎛️  Audio System