8 hours ago, lmitche said:

This really depends on the situation.  There are times where the shortest cable possible is best. With my lps-1 to Adnaco USB box power, SQ was hugely improved with a 1 inch male to male adapter.  I was very surprised.

As always it is best to try on your own setup. There is a lot of parameters that could affect the outcome. 

Have you a short cable between the feeder supply and the LPS-1 as well? If a short DC cable matters between the LPS-1 and the Adnaco USB box power I can imagine the feeder cable matters as well.

13 hours ago, lmitche said:

This really depends on the situation.  There are times where the shortest cable possible is best. With my lps-1 to Adnaco USB box power, SQ was hugely improved with a 1 inch male to male adapter.  I was very surprised.

Agree depends on the situation, i tried many choices and while shorter was better in general I also found out that the quality of the wire and connectors also matter. I tried cheapo adapters, Standard copper, OCC copper and OCC silver with different gauges, everything matters. I finally settled with a 15cm 16AWG OCC pure silver with Oyaide connectors between my LPS-1 and RUR

17 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

Can someone pls point me to a device that allows me to measure how much DC power (amps or watts) my Brooklyn Dac is drawing from the VR Mini 

You can easily do it yourself using this method:

900x900px-LL-a5db0286_IMG_4816_DROK_Micro_Voltmeter_w_Solderless_2.1mm_Plug_and_Jack_Off_x800.jpeg

The parts is very easy to find. Search for screw terminal DC plugs and mini LED volatage meter. :)

Ps. There are plenty of LED voltage & current meters around as well Ds.

As you guys know, I'm not a DIY cable guy, but I do know the science. 9_9

To measure current, you either put an ammeter in series (it needs to be able to handle the range you care about - in this case, up to 5A DC), or you place a known resistance in series, and measure the voltage across it.

Now, assuming your multimeter can handle that range, and since it looks like your probe wires plug into the meter with come kind of jack, what about just building custom cables:

• DC 5.5.x2.1 barrel female to male (whatever goes into your MM)
  • Male MM jack to DC 5.5x2.1 male 

Or so goes the theory at least.

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

As you guys know, I'm not a DIY cable guy, but I do know the science. 9_9

To measure current, you either put an ammeter in series (it needs to be able to handle the range you care about - in this case, up to 5A DC), or you place a known resistance in series, and measure the voltage across it.

Now, assuming your multimeter can handle that range, and since it looks like your probe wires plug into the meter with come kind of jack, what about just building custom cables:

• DC 5.5.x2.1 barrel female to male (whatever goes into your MM)
  • Male MM jack to DC 5.5x2.1 male 

Or so goes the theory at least.

Thanks @austinpop, yes my multimeter can handle the range, it is always good to start with science :)

I think I will build one based on @Cornan image, very neat and handy that I can just plug in anywhere I need it.

2 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

Thanks @austinpop, yes my multimeter can handle the range, it is always good to start with science :)

I think I will build one based on @Cornan image, very neat and handy that I can just plug in anywhere I need it.

Go for it. But remember to use a current meter, not a voltage.

Although, I still wonder - why not use your existing multimeter? It seems perfectly capable. You just need to adapt the 5.5/2.1 to the multimeter's jacks.

Either way - I am curious to know your current measurements once you get it working.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

It seems perfectly capable. You just need to adapt the 5.5/2.1 to the multimeter's jacks.

I can do that but my MM has sharp pins that I want to keep as is. I can simply cut the wires and connect them to a 5.5/2.1 female/male adapter.

It is always fun to build something new but I will find a way to measure the current draw before the parts arrive

18 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

OK I ordered this one as it shows both, voltage and Amps

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BYKRETK/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item_image

I will figure out the connections later on, this one seems to have more wires than the one @Cornan shared in the image, maybe because it shows amps as well

Coincidentally, I ordered this today too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3JSEG6

:D

46 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes indeed, the combo provides some interesting experiments:

1. current draw of Brooklyn from VR Mini
  2. current draw of RUR
  3. current draw from RUR to Brooklyn on USB
  4. Therefore, 3 minus 2 = current draw of RUR internals
  5. current draw of tX-USBultra
  6. Then 5 minus 3 = current draw of tX internals

Can't wait for your numbers!

Great thanks for this, I will be measuring all of the above and reporting the results soon

38 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Here is how to make a cable that works with a multimeter:

adapter.jpg

Using screw terminal DC plugs & socket and a chepeo probe with crocodile clips will make it easy to make.

Amazing stuff Cornan! you can easily pull out any trick anytime :)

you just gave me an idea!

1 hour ago, moussaobeid said:

Amazing stuff Cornan! you can easily pull out any trick anytime :)

you just gave me an idea!

Thanks Moussa! ?

Do not forget to share that idea. I've got a curious mind! ?