Heat report! The 11,81 Vf on the Sigma 11 with ISO Regen pulling around 0,558A is nothing to worry about. After 1,5 hours of constant music listening I can hold my hand on the heatsinks all the time. They are not cold or Luke warm but they are not hot by the touch. Looking great. Sounding great! ???

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

ISO Regen which is powering the USB input of the BluWave USB to Spdif. The Gophert, LPS-1.2 plus 2x HPULNs and Kemet A750s is powering the BW Spdif output. ?

Are you putting the HPULNs before or after the LPS-1.2?

5 minutes ago, mozes said:

I will try one of my 5A boards before the LPS-1.2 although I think this is counter intuitive, but the proof is in the listening

It is very educational actually! ? One Hpuln (3A) improved SQ before LPS-1.2. Another one just a tiny bit more. Kemet A750 also improved before LPS-1.2 in my setup.

Eventually I will only use one Hpuln pre LPS-1.2 though. Just waiting for my new LPSU to burn-in before one will get over there! ?

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

A Sigma 11 feeding lt3045s is a great combo. I just received two more sigma 11 boards from China. Will do the integration tomorrow. It's exciting, I'm a few days away from my completing my "dream" system.

How long would you say it typically takes to ship the sigma11 boards from China - the website advises anything between 3 to 7 weeks.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, tims said:

How long would you say it typically takes to ship the sigma11 boards from China - the website advises anything between 3 to 7 weeks.

Thanks

This last batch was ordered on May 6th and arrived yesterday to my mailbox in the US, so almost three weeks.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

A Sigma 11 feeding lt3045s is a great combo. I just received two more sigma 11 boards from China. Will do the integration tomorrow. It's exciting, I'm a few days away from my completing my "dream" system.

The combo surely sounds great here as well! ?

Great to hear Larry! Looking forward to see what you have been cooking! ?

After running my second ”uber-LPSU” for a while I deciderat to make the HPULN switch. First I removed the 8v HPULN pre LPS-1.2 and added a Ghent starquad JSSG that I had left instead of the simple Canare 4S6. I took the 8v HCPULN and changed out the LT3045 1A/8v between my “Uber-LPSU” with Sigma 11 9V so it was  Kemet A750>HPULN (3A/8v)>LT3045 (1A/7v)>Kemet A750>ISO Regen.

3C468C41-C2FC-487D-987F-F2037E584BB6.thumb.jpeg.1157456a5eb412a06f5ddd970eccebe7.jpegBCEDF2B5-7139-4669-937D-A0C7CDBA6B1E.thumb.jpeg.7a60104999ccf3790901016dd46c3474.jpeg22A4B7D1-F144-4956-894C-2D2F4B351D3B.thumb.jpeg.43c904013bfa18d57666d4b7d3054a14.jpeg106F0D6E-A851-4867-9B41-BE1AF693EA7B.thumb.jpeg.6cde3f74100ce832c236b1b0922a635e.jpegF90C37D7-D5E7-4D93-B045-C5E49EFC94C9.thumb.jpeg.ad6789df6cac236f41edde820514ddb4.jpeg

I had had a listen to Kalehan - Temple of Maia ones again. Nice SQ jump in sweetness and crispy notes. Improved fibers. Big difference changing out the LT3045 1A to the HPULN 3A for my “Sigma 11 Uber-LPSU”! ? I did have a quick listen with just one HPULN pre LPS-1.2 before the switch. It did reduce SQ a tiny bit just like it improved it adding one before. However, the overall SQ change with the HPULN switch was well worth it since it gained more at the ISO Regen end than it lost in the LPS-1.2 end. ?

4 hours ago, Hauser said:

The result seems to make sense.  I'm surprised you can run the LPS1.2 on 8V HPULN though, 24W is not enough.

Martin.

Yes, it do make sense but I still get very surpriced just how much better it gets with 3A & 5A LT3045s. It actually sounds much better than I put into words. I am running the LPS-1.2 with 7v. Gophert csp-3205II 8v (5.1A max)>HPULN 7v (3A). Before I had Gophert 9v>HPULN 8v>HPULN 7V. I just took the 8v HPULN over to the ISO Regen where it replaced a LT3045 1A 8v.

I am sitting in my comfy coach listening to my new sound. A bit star-strucked!  I wish I could just let it be like this. No more changes. The latest change in my second LPSU made me appreciate importance of parallel LT3045 even more. I wish I had the funds to change out all my remaining 6 LT3045s to HC-HPULNs, my three HPULNs to HC-HPULNs and my remaning three Gopherts to balanced & isolated toriodal transformers in one go and be done with it. Happy forever! ?

I know I know. It won’t happen, but it was a really nice day-dream for a couple of seconds! ?

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I am sitting in my comfy coach listening to my new sound. A bit star-strucked!  I wish I could just let it be like this. No more changes. The latest change in my second LPSU made me appreciate importance of parallel LT3045 even more. I wish I had the funds to change out all my remaining 6 LT3045s to HC-HPULNs, my three HPULNs to HC-HPULNs and my remaning three Gopherts to balanced & isolated toriodal transformers in one go and be done with it. Happy forever! ?

I know I know. It won’t happen, but it was a really nice day-dream for a couple of seconds! ?

Forever is a long, long time! 

Being happy for that amount of time is NOT an audiophile trait, as least among those I know and, assuredly, not those posting on CA!

Glad you ARE enjoying the music!

18 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Forever is a long, long time! 

Being happy for that amount of time is NOT an audiophile trait, as least among those I know and, assuredly, not those posting on CA!

Glad you ARE enjoying the music!

Yeah, I have already forgotten how many times that I wanted a KISS! ? I stopped longing for one and actually started to like the SPAGETTI. I even like the looks if it when I know that I put all the peices there by my own hands. If I ever make a LPSU that I will sell it will probably look more like an engine than a PSU! ?

4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Yeah, I have already forgotten how many times that I wanted a KISS! ?

If you are looking for a KISS, then CA is the LAST place on earth you are going to find it.  :)  (I could read about five meanings into that, and all of them would be right).  :)

4 minutes ago, ted_b said:

If you are looking for a KISS, then CA is the LAST place on earth you are going to find it.  :)  (I could read about five meanings into that, and all of them would be right).  :)

*LOL* Spot on! ? I’ll better put that dream six feet under. EEs and networks gurus are probably the only ones left here longing for a KISS! ? 

I counted to two meanings, but I’m sure you’re right! ?

On 5/28/2018 at 4:52 PM, Hauser said:

The result seems to make sense.  I'm surprised you can run the LPS1.2 on 8V HPULN though, 24W is not enough.

Martin.

The 36W is the maximum power when running at 12V output and greater than 0.5A output current. As the output voltage goes down the maximum input power also goes down. In addition there are two charging currents, one used for less than 0.5A and one for greater than 0.5A.

So under some circumstances (lower output voltage, lower output current) you can get away with a lower wattage feeder supply. Unfortunately there is no simple formula to compute how much it is going to take for a particular condition, it's a very complex situation, so we just recommend that people use a feeder supply that can handle the maximum and you will never have a problem.

John S.

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The 36W is the maximum power when running at 12V output and greater than 0.5A output current. As the output voltage goes down the maximum input power also goes down. In addition there are two charging currents, one used for less than 0.5A and one for greater than 0.5A.

So under some circumstances (lower output voltage, lower output current) you can get away with a lower wattage feeder supply. Unfortunately there is no simple formula to compute how much it is going to take for a particular condition, it's a very complex situation, so we just recommend that people use a feeder supply that can handle the maximum and you will never have a problem.

John S.

I do have the possibillity to power my LPS-1.2 with 12V/3A (Gophert 13V/5.1A max>HPULN 12v/3A) if I want to. Do you think there will be any difference? I have monitored the currrent draw via my Gophert display and it have always been within limits and have´nt noticed any problems.

Micael

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

John S.

Thanks, thats interesting to know.  Bar the experimentation, I can see Why Alex has been unequivocal in the past about the 36W.

Martin.

Hi Micael

I want to try the HPLUN PS on my ISO Regen connecting two in series to feed the IR as I think you have done.  Looking at the MPaudio web site I'm not sure what to buy. 

With this one - MD-HPULN PS  (https://www.mpaudio.net/product-page/d-hpuln) which I think is a dual output supply can I take the output of one side of one of these MD-HPLUN and feed it back into the input of the other side of the same MD-HPULN PS?  Does this make sense?

PS I'm presuming I can adjust the voltage outputs of each side independantly to achieve this or am I totally confused about this ?

45 minutes ago, tims said:

Hi Micael

I want to try the HPLUN PS on my ISO Regen connecting two in series to feed the IR as I think you have done.  Looking at the MPaudio web site I'm not sure what to buy. 

With this one - MD-HPULN PS  (https://www.mpaudio.net/product-page/d-hpuln) which I think is a dual output supply can I take the output of one side of one of these MD-HPLUN and feed it back into the input of the other side of the same MD-HPULN PS?  Does this make sense?

PS I'm presuming I can adjust the voltage outputs of each side independantly to achieve this or am I totally confused about this ?

Yes, you should be able to do that if the output of the Input section has been adjusted to give a suitably higher output voltage than the other section.( e.g. 1 volt difference)

P.S.

I fail to see the need to do so though, unless you are trying to extract a smidgin more HF detail from  a lacklustre source.The types and values of the capacitors used with the LT304x series tend to result in a slightly lower output impedance at frequencies well above the audible band, which MAY result in a little more "airiness" and a larger soundstage.

Overdo it, and the treble may become a little etched sounding with an unnaturally large soundstage, as well as sounding a little fatiguing for long term listening.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Yes, you should be able to do that if the output of the Input section has been adjusted to give a suitably higher output voltage than the other section.( e.g. 1 volt difference)

P.S.

I fail to see the need to do so though, unless you are trying to extract a smidgin more HF detail from  a lacklustre source.The types and values of the capacitors used with the LT304x series tend to result in a slightly lower output impedance at frequencies well above the audible band, which MAY result in a little more "airiness" and a larger soundstage.

Overdo it, and the treble may become a little etched sounding with an unnaturally large soundstage, as well as sounding a little fatiguing for long term listening.

OK, thanks - all good info to consider.

19 minutes ago, tims said:

19 minutes ago, tims said:

P.S.

As they are independent, make 100% sure that the output of the 1st one isn't accidentally reversed when connected to the input of the 2nd one or you will likely blow them up !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020