IGNORED

MPaD / MPoD Gone?

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The fact that it’s currently being developed and can be installed on new iOS devices is a great thing. 

Time will tell, I'm not sure this is a sign of true development. My question was really to see if any changes had been incorporated to improve the user experience. MPod/MPad were in real need of some overhaul. I still use MPad on occasion which is why I have not updated my iPad to iOS 11. My suspicion is that this is only an update of MPod to allow it to run on iOS 11. Remember, MPod was basically abandoned a long time ago and left on the App Store as a free app while MPad was still a paid App. At least for me, Soundirok works extremely well and I would need something with a superior UI to make me switch. Something to keep an eye on nevertheless.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

8 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

Have you tried it? Is it any different than just a re-packaged MPod? I can't imagine that it has been improved since the cost is now free.

i can not try it because on my iPhone IOS is 10.1.1 :D

• 4 months later...
On 9/8/2018 at 2:14 PM, tml3nr said:

Rigelian release iPad version:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rigelian/id1363775934?mt=8

643x0w.png

Thanks for the link - I tried the app on my iPad Mini and it is looking pretty good. There were a couple of problems for me. It found my playlists, but thought they all had zero items in them. The other problem is that it displays each track of a compilation as a separate album in album view. But it looked good enough for me to upgrade for a years subscription for 3.50 euros.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2018 at 5:14 AM, Richard Dale said:

Thanks for the link - I tried the app on my iPad Mini and it is looking pretty good. There were a couple of problems for me. It found my playlists, but thought they all had zero items in them. The other problem is that it displays each track of a compilation as a separate album in album view. But it looked good enough for me to upgrade for a years subscription for 3.50 euros.

Yes, compared to MPad, Rigelian has some disadvantages. So i prefer Soundirok in both my IOS and Android device.

• 1 year later...

As an MPad user in the early days I had to switch to Soundirok or Rigelian which are not as polished as I had with MPaD.

So now and then I search the App store to find new developments.

This week I found yaMPC which is apparently only 1 year old looking at the revision history but initial impressions are postive 👍

I found no other topics mentioning yaMPC so maybe it was under the radar for most ?

P.S. I noticed that Soundirok which has had updates on a regular basis has not had an update since April 2018 .. did they stop further deveopment ?

Or would I be naive to think that an App is 100% complete and final ??

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

1 hour ago, Oystein said:

P.S. I noticed that Soundirok which has had updates on a regular basis has not had an update since April 2018 .. did they stop further deveopment ?

Or would I be naive to think that an App is 100% complete and final ??

Sadly it’s just the way the original developer(s) lose their motivation to carry on with their project, since they don’t get the funding to have it updated, and their app sales have reached saturation point. I was reading on the Minimserver site that they have moved towards a subscription model to sustain development since that side involves more work than the initial software write-up.

16 minutes ago, k-man said:

Sadly it’s just the way the original developer(s) lose their motivation to carry on with their project, since they don’t get the funding to have it updated, and their app sales have reached saturation point. I was reading on the Minimserver site that they have moved towards a subscription model to sustain development since that side involves more work than the initial software write-up.

I agree, the App Store really is not a sustainable model as the initial cost of purchasing an App cannot justify the developer's investment in time to continue updating, particularly with Apple's constant iOS updates. I believe Soundirok originally cost me $2.99, how can these prices justify support for more than a couple of years? I don't understand the logic of charging so little for an App. Last month I tried to contact the Soundirok developer but received no reply, not a good sign as he was always very responsive in the past. Things might work better if the cost of the App was higher but came with a 30 day free trial period.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

18 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

I agree, the App Store really is not a sustainable model as the initial cost of purchasing an App cannot justify the developer's investment in time to continue updating, particularly with Apple's constant iOS updates. I believe Soundirok originally cost me $2.99, how can these prices justify support for more than a couple of years? I don't understand the logic of charging so little for an App. Last month I tried to contact the Soundirok developer but received no reply, not a good sign as he was always very responsive in the past. Things might work better if the cost of the App was higher but came with a 30 day free trial period.

Yeah, this is probably the main reason why we are confronted with outdated Apps on a regular basis.
In the beginning I was using JRiver on a Windows platform and happily paid their yearly subscription knowing the software would continue to develop.

Since MPD (Linux) + iPad control thing are not so sure anymore ... 😞

This week I paid EUR 3,49 for the additional features in yaMPC so who knows how long they will be able to continue their development efforts for that.

The additional features for me was the ability to play radio streams (saved as playlists) which is not possible in the free version.

I tried Rigelian too 2 years ago with their yearly subscription but at that time I found Soudirok easier to use in comparison.

As I am writing this response I looked into JRiver again and noticed they also have a Linux version or their JRiver Media Center so I will explore this and JRiver also has an IOS app JRemote. It was apparently a very long time ago I had a look on their website.

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

• 2 weeks later...