IGNORED

AAM/Brooklyn/DSJ/Roon/TIDAL/MQA LOL

OK...so; I currently have an AAM, into my Brooklyn. Right now...temporarily; it is handling volume duty, while I decide on pre direction.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, all over the boards; but I love, love, LOVE...TIDAL's recent Masters implementation, and the fact that we can now stream anywhere between 24/44.1 and 192(!)...with the help, of MQA!

So...I'm pretty damn happy these days; with the AAM/Brooklyn front-end. And I'd really like to give, the much-hyped Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 a try. The other option...is the PSA DSJ.

Now...if I went that direction; I assume the "best" way to run it...would be with ROON, as the controller. And I'm really curious about Roon, as all I hear...are TERRIFIC things (though I wonder if the experience translates, on like an iPad Mini...as opposed to a BIG touchscreen?)

My question(s) are this:

How is the TIDAL/MQA integration, on Roon? Even better, than with the AAM/Lightning DS? (for example...at least as of now, AFAIK; you can't browse the Masters titles, on LDS. You can save them, and then play them from your Favorites).

Two...I hear good things, about the DSJ; as an all-in-one, and its pre-amp capabilities. But is it really likely, to outclass a unit...like the Backert Rhumba?

Thanks,

-CD

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

OK...so; I currently have an AAM, into my Brooklyn. Right now...temporarily; it is handling volume duty, while I decide on pre direction.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, all over the boards; but I love, love, LOVE...TIDAL's recent Masters implementation, and the fact that we can now stream anywhere between 24/44.1 and 192(!)...with the help, of MQA!

So...I'm pretty damn happy these days; with the AAM/Brooklyn front-end. And I'd really like to give, the much-hyped Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 a try. The other option...is the PSA DSJ.

Now...if I went that direction; I assume the "best" way to run it...would be with ROON, as the controller. And I'm really curious about Roon, as all I hear...are TERRIFIC things (though I wonder if the experience translates, on like an iPad Mini...as opposed to a BIG touchscreen?)

My question(s) are this:

How is the TIDAL/MQA integration, on Roon? Even better, than with the AAM/Lightning DS? (for example...at least as of now, AFAIK; you can't browse the Masters titles, on LDS. You can save them, and then play them from your Favorites).

Two...I hear good things, about the DSJ; as an all-in-one, and its pre-amp capabilities. But is it really likely, to outclass a unit...like the Backert Rhumba?

Thanks,

-CD

Afaik, we cannot still talk about "Roon / Tidal MQA integration", since there is no such integration yet.

We need to wait for Roon 1.3, where - apparently - MQA software decoding (unfolding) will be available.

In the same way I do not believe that what you can currently do to play Tidal Masters using LDS on your Aries Mini, that is "save them, and then play them from your Favorites" should really be defined "an integration", it simply the only possible option/workaround at the moment.

Afaik, we cannot still talk about "Roon / Tidal MQA integration", since there is no such integration yet.

We need to wait for Roon 1.3, where - apparently - MQA software decoding (unfolding) will be available.

Wow; really. That surprises me...since I thought Roon, was wayyy ahead of everyone else; as far as TIDAL "integration".

Hmmmm :-S

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

Wow; really. That surprises me...since I thought Roon, was wayyy ahead of everyone else; as far as TIDAL "integration".

Hmmmm :-S

This was my "source"

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/mqa-tidal-where-are-we-now/

Where you can read the following

(Q) So, I don’t need an MQA DAC to get the full MQA experience?

(A) You don’t necessarily need it for the first unfold (to 24bit/96kHz) but what if you move to different playback software? As of right now, Roon passes the incoming 24bit/48kHz MQA file on to the DAC directly. Ditto Amarra For Tidal. Ditto Audirvana+ 2.x. No unfolding takes place. (This has been confirmed by each software app’s developer).

And I have also to "correct" my previous post.

According to what you can read in some comments to this post

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/coming-over-the-hill-the-monstrous-roon-1-3/

it si not even confirmed that Roon 1.3 will bring MQA unfolding/integration.

Wow; well I guess that answers that...for now anyway.

The first title I streamed, was 24/44.1; I thought that was going to be it...which was fine. But then I started seeing titles, that were 24/96, and 24/192; and I about p*ssed meeself! :)

This was my "source"

MQA & Tidal - where are we now? | DAR__KO

Where you can read the following

(Q) So, I don’t need an MQA DAC to get the full MQA experience?

(A) You don’t necessarily need it for the first unfold (to 24bit/96kHz) but what if you move to different playback software? As of right now, Roon passes the incoming 24bit/48kHz MQA file on to the DAC directly. Ditto Amarra For Tidal. Ditto Audirvana+ 2.x. No unfolding takes place. (This has been confirmed by each software app’s developer).

And I have also to "correct" my previous post.

According to what you can read in some comments to this post

Coming over the hill: the monstrous Roon 1.3 | DAR__KO

it si not even confirmed that Roon 1.3 will bring MQA unfolding/integration.

But wouldn't NOT unfolding before sending the MQA file to the Brooklyn (an MQA able DAC) be a good thing? If possible it should be preferable to let the DAC chip decode MQA? The software decoding/integration in Tidal/Roon etc. surely is there only for those who don't yet own an MQA able DAC?

But wouldn't NOT unfolding before sending the MQA file to the Brooklyn (an MQA able DAC) be a good thing? If possible it should be preferable to let the DAC chip decode MQA? The software decoding/integration in Tidal/Roon etc. surely is there only for those who don't yet own an MQA able DAC?

Agreed, if you have an MQA enabled DAC such as the Brooklyin, it is better to have the player sending the received file directly to the dac for MQA processing (this is what the Tidal desktop app calls "MQA passthrough") with no software unfolding in the player.