IGNORED

Cones

Ralf11

As far as I can tell cones are a way to control transfer of vibration from one system to another. The mechanism seems to be along the lines of:

Almost all surfaces (shelf, bottom of component) will support some form of acoustic standing waves due to the geometry of the surface (the common parallel edge geometry being particularly bad). The cone allows you to place the coupling in a specific location where there is a node in the standing wave pattern for a specific frequency. Note that this location will be an anti-node at a different frequency.

Because of this frequency dependence this method is most effective with audio devices which have some form of mechanical resonance which is stimulated by a particular frequency. If the cones are placed just right the coupling of that particular frequency can be significantly decreased.

So while it CAN be quite effective, the results are going to be EXTREMELY system dependent. Even for a given system the location of the cones is going to be critical. Thus for the common usage of just placing the cones between shelf and device you have essential a purely random probability of improving things or making them worse.

If you take the time to try different locations and optimize the locations through listening you have a much higher probability of improving things.

Of course of your device doesn't have any mechanical resonances (extremely rare) you probably will hear no differences.

John S.

Some more examples of the alternative approach to rigidly coupling.

I use the isoacoustics Aperta stands under my stand mount Dynaudio Contour 1.4 S LE.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

And another Boenicke arrangement...

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

a] I use sorbothane hemispheres under components that have CD/DVD players, hard drives or problematic fans.

b] There are different reasonable viewpoints on turntables and loudspeakers.

c] Other components should not need isolation.

d] If your vacuum tubes are vibrating then you need to re-think where your components are placed.

Or just how loud is your music?

e] It's not hard to measure vibration reduction systems.

That doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the speaker react to the force of the woofer? I'd always thought you want an enclosure to be as rigid and fixed as possible. But maybe it works, I'll have to read up on it.

You can start reading about it on this thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/showthread.php?t=24805

Equipment isolation and vibration damping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

Thanks, that's an interesting thread. I'm aware of using air-cushioning for isolation, but with speakers it would seem counter-intuitive to me.

You are welcome! ?

It seems a bit odd to me as well since I have always used Soundcare Superspike under my speakers on hard surfaces, but considering how many knowledgeable people that have posted on this thread about the ball-and-up design I do think that there is definately something to it. I am planning to try anyway! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System