IGNORED

Cones

Ralf11

are they better than sorbothane feet?

Never use sorbothane or any rubber derivative under any audio devices including audio computers. Cones(metal, plastic or wood) are ok but all sound different and some are expensive for what they are. Trial and error is the order of the day. But in the end its only the cherry on the cake.

Currently I'm using small rectangular bamboo chopping board blocks(hand made 25 x 30 x 17mm) between components body and bamboo shelf. Standing vertically sitting on the 17 x 30 side. Three per component. All metal cones and solid metal cylinders are gone, I've tried heaps over the years. The Ikea butchers boards are the best cheapest shelves and cut one up for small blocks. But any laminated bamboo chopping board will suffice. Trying this won't cost much. Your rack and shelving is way more critical re the sound.

Believe me Bamboo has a lot going for it. Racks are now available in Bamboo.

what type of equipment might benefit from cones?? and, why don't the manfs. use them?

finally, are cones vaporware, vapidware, or...

They are definitely not conware. It depends on your equipment. In my experience SS equipment benefits from metal cones, also some speakers. But felt padding, mentioned above, is also worth trying. I use it on my DIY tubes amps. You just have to be careful about introducing *more* resonance rather than less. I have never cared for sorbathane. To me it just seems to exascerbate vibration rather than control it.

I'm very cautious about tweaks. I have a friend who used to load his system with costly tweaks and then call me when everything sounded awful. I would go over and take out all the "tweaks" so his equipment sounded the way it was intended to sound.

why not?

BTW, my ARC LS25 pre-amp has feet on it that seem similar to sorbothane - anybody know what they are?

I remember AR telling me the feet on my Pre are elastomer . In their Ref 75 amp, it notes that in the users manual..

The Truth Is Out There

what type of equipment might benefit from cones?? and, why don't the manfs. use them?

finally, are cones vaporware, vapidware, or...

I think that vacuum tube components are obvious candidates as are turntables as they are most susceptible to microphonic feedback from the speakers. Unfortunately trial and error is the best way to decide.

Lots of opinions and controversy in the audio forums ...if you had not already noticed :-)

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

problem with pine is I cannot find a butcher block made of it on Amazon.com - but I can for maple

Sorbothane is well known for its excellence in vibration control & etc. - in fact, there is info somewhere on the internet about that

not sure why it would be bad for audio

don't recall reading anything about the feet in my ARC pre-amp manual but will look again

Sorbothane is well known for its excellence in vibration control & etc. - in fact, there is info somewhere on the internet about that

Sorbothane was popular for audio in the 80s and 90s. It has been eclipsed in the audio world. Still has industrial and other uses. The biggest proponents of sorbothane now seem to be its manufacturers.

If there is a reputable and recently published endorsement of it for audio uses now please post the link.

They are conware.
I was joking. I've never experimented with sorbothane. I've always used spikes for my floorstanders and for stands. I tried bluetack for speakers and IMO it can only ruin their sound unless you want them to sound 'soft', imprecise and loose some bass control. Based on that I don't believe any soft/flexible material (including sorbothane) is good for speakers feet unless you want to make them sound soft.. etc. They will vibrate more or less when you use feet like that. I tried some fancy feet for my solid state electronic gear but I didn't hear any meaningful difference (but I use spiked audio rack that is not bad).

I believe isolating tube gear and gramophones may be more critical but the tube amp I used once weighted almost 30kg and stood on a massive (over 60kg) cabinet so I didn't think about an extra isolation. And I haven't used a gramophone for years so I can't comment on that topic.

Good luck with your sorbothane experiment but I don't believe it will be successful. I'm pretty sure that at least with speakers it will work more or less like blue tack (I understand the two materials' different properties).

I think you may also like to check this thread (again based purely on theory I don't believe in bdiament's method for isolating speakers, maybe it works in case of electronics though)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/couple-or-de-couple-floor-speakers-12246/

Be sure to get the really expensive titanium ones, as they are more aero.

ANORDSKTC.jpg

I agree with the trial and error approach. My turntable is in a location that is prone to mini-quakes. I've got a rubbberized sticky mat under the machine. It works very well. During the first week that I had the Revel Salons, I had them sitting on the floor with no feet. A friend told me to get them off the floor and a soon as I put the spikes on, the difference was palpable. The bass was somewhat less but it was now what, I think arevel intended - much tamer full m]notes instead of a boom. Then I started thinking, if the spikes made such a difference surely other materials cones etc might yeild even greater improvements.

Somewhere or the other, I'd read that for further improvement in speaker performance, 100% pure copper pennies can be placed under the spikes - so, I did that and experienced an improvement in the confirmation bias range. Then I bought some bona fide titanium discs (recessed, of course) and realized - nothing. Except for further placement experimentation, I'm done with spending on new footers - I mean, what next up the scale - those $400.00 brass cylinders. Forget it.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo