IGNORED

My new DAC

I'm reading the specification page of stellar DAC in PS Audio web site. Here is an extraction:

-I2S

1 PCM (384KHz max)

DSD64 DSD128

Compatible with DirectStream Transport SACD handshake for DSD playback

-Coax

2 PCM (192KHz max)

-Optical

1 PCM (96KHz max)

-USB

PCM (384KHz max)

DSD64 (DoP) DSD128 (DoP)

For what concern the DAC chip inside the Stellar, I have received answer from PS Audio that they are using Sabre 9010. I'm a bit disappointed for this choice.

Now the really interisting part, I just got and 352Khz album from HD tracks to check if my Nuwave DSD could handle it, could not find any 384Khz, and it plays without a glitch,.

The spec sheet for the Nuwave DSD says it does 192Khz but it can definetly play 352Khz.

Wow, 9010...that's disappointing. To be honest Sabre implementations are heavily dependent on the output circuit so I'm not saying it won't sound competitive...but why rob yourself by not going with at least a 9018? The 9028 Pro is a drop-in replacement almost, couldn't they have managed that? Were they concerned a full-featured Sabre with high quality components would compete too much with their vastly more expensive FPGA products?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Wow, 9010...that's disappointing.

Sure is, the 9028 is a minimum now but surely the 9038 is the way to go.

Were they concerned a full-featured Sabre with high quality components would compete too much with their vastly more expensive FPGA products?

Well the Chinese have the "Trump" card now as they are using the top Sabre chips at even lower prices.

Maybe Donald should step in here!!!!!

• 4 months later...
On 1/16/2017 at 10:15 AM, wwaldmanfan said:

This will be out in a couple of months. I'm probably going to preorder one. If you can ignore the marketing hype and buzzwords in the ad copy, this unit looks like a really nice DAC/preamp/headphone amp for the price.

Non-upsampling DAC, 24/384 PCM and DSD 128 native, 3 optional digital filters, HDMI and analog preamp inputs. All-analog preamp. In addition to the usual functions, the remote control has channel balance, and can toggle the DAC filters in/out.

If you trade a component, PS Audio will deduct the trade-in from the initial purchase price, then give you 30 days to either send in the trade or return the PS for a refund. I've never owned a PS Audio product, but I've talked to their customer rep a few times, and he seemed forthright.

Gain-Cell-DAC-gallery-4.png

http://www.psaudio.com/stellar-gain-cell-dac/

Aloha - did you end up buying the Stellar Gain DAC?  If yes, what do you think?

I'm coincidentally on a similar page.  Wanting to upgrade from my PeachTree Audio DAC iTx, I read perhaps millions of reviews and have become focused on PS Audio.  The Oppo Sonica DAC and the Teach NT-503 in the mix as well.

PS Audio, via Amazon, last week released 16 NuWave DSD models for $999 each.  One arrived today and I'm breaking it in now.

Seeing your post regarding the Stellar Gain Cell DAC led me to the PS Audio website.  Their trade in policy is pretty sweet and a clever way to sell semi wholesale to direct customers.  I can get the $1699 Stellar Gain for $1200 if I trade in the PeachTree.  At only $200 more than the NuWave DSD, seems worth the upgrade.  PS Audio is not selling the NuWave DSD on their website, thus can't do the trade in for that.  

Interested in your thoughts (or anyone else's) on the Stellar Gain Cell.

Thanks.

Went ahead and ordered the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC directly from the factory.  Their 30 day in home trial in which they pay Fedex shipping both ways, and the trade in program was too tempting.  Not many companies ship free to Hawaii.  

11 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Aloha - did you end up buying the Stellar Gain DAC?  If yes, what do you think?

I'm coincidentally on a similar page.  Wanting to upgrade from my PeachTree Audio DAC iTx, I read perhaps millions of reviews and have become focused on PS Audio.  The Oppo Sonica DAC and the Teach NT-503 in the mix as well.

PS Audio, via Amazon, last week released 16 NuWave DSD models for $999 each.  One arrived today and I'm breaking it in now.

Seeing your post regarding the Stellar Gain Cell DAC led me to the PS Audio website.  Their trade in policy is pretty sweet and a clever way to sell semi wholesale to direct customers.  I can get the $1699 Stellar Gain for $1200 if I trade in the PeachTree.  At only $200 more than the NuWave DSD, seems worth the upgrade.  PS Audio is not selling the NuWave DSD on their website, thus can't do the trade in for that.  

Interested in your thoughts (or anyone else's) on the Stellar Gain Cell.

Thanks.

It would ber rude of me not to reply to your post, but I feel stupid because I started this thread and never pulled the trigger on the purchase. The wife wanted to remodel the kitchen, which, of course, I had to agree to. That project is moving forward, and by the time the smoke clears, I may have to sell pencils on the street corner.

It nice that they would give you $499 credit for your old Peachtree, which only sells for $299 new. Kind of like my plumber who gives me a 10% discount for being a loyal customer, even though he charges twice as much as everyone else.

Let us know how you like the PS Audio product. Their electronics are very appealing, but I'm a little bit wary of a company that also markets snake oil power cords and wall outlets.

12 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

It would ber rude of me not to reply to your post, but I feel stupid because I started this thread and never pulled the trigger on the purchase. The wife wanted to remodel the kitchen, which, of course, I had to agree to. That project is moving forward, and by the time the smoke clears, I may have to sell pencils on the street corner.

It nice that they would give you $499 credit for your old Peachtree, which only sells for $299 new. Kind of like my plumber who gives me a 10% discount for being a loyal customer, even though he charges twice as much as everyone else.

Let us know how you like the PS Audio product. Their electronics are very appealing, but I'm a little bit wary of a company that also markets snake oil power cords and wall outlets.

Well thanks a lot - I figured if it was wwaldmanfan's next DAC, it must be cherry (g).  

They do the trade in value based upon the original MSRP, hence $499 for the PeachTree, which is very difficult to find these days.  I've read many many reviews of the PS Audio DAC's, and they are solid across the board in that department.  In business for over 40 years, and everything made in Boulder.  

As for cords and outlets, seems like standard audiophile fare presented by many companies, with it being up to us to buy or not.

The proof is in the pudding, so we'll see how the Stellar Gain Cell DAC sounds.  Its a preamp as well, which gives me versatility when it comes time to upgrade my integrated amp.

On 1/16/2017 at 3:55 PM, GUTB said:

The X-Sabre is the same price, isn't balanced, is made in China, and I read somewhere that the SRC stage can't be bypassed by I2S...

'There is nothing wrong with "made in China". They have come a long way. And can afford to include best hardware and features at competitive price.

Matrix X-Sabre Pro is an excellent DAC, and so is the Holo Spring that I own (KTE version). Do you know that Matrix does all the OEM for Audeze gear, including Deckard?