IGNORED

Tidal Streaming on raspberry

Hi everybody,

I have been streaming Tidal on my Raspberry with Moode for a few years using BubbleUPnPserver

Please note that you will not be able to decode MQA, at least until mpd will provide support for it (which seems unlikely at the moment, given the quick verification I have done on mpd development forum)

Here is a simple guide on "How To".

1. connect to the raspberry using ssh

With Moode 3.x, user=pi, password=raspberry
  2. Move to any folder and download my Java+BubbleUPnP server installation script
    pi@moode31:~ $ cd /tmp
    pi@moode31:/tmp $ wget http://www.francescomoretta.com/foto/varie/tidal/BubbleUPnPServer_install.bash

3. Make the script executable and launch it
    pi@moode31:/tmp $ sudo chmod +x ./BubbleUPnPServer_install.bash
    pi@moode31:/tmp $ ./BubbleUPnPServer_install.bash

4. Wait for the execution of the script to complete.
    This could take a few minutes.

At the end of the process, you could do some check to verify if all went well
    BubbleUPnP should have been configured to start/stop automatically at boot/shutdown of the raspberry.
    You should find two BubbleUPnP server scripts in folders "/etc/rc2.d" and "/etc/rc0.d.
    The first one is the auto-start script executed at boot.
    The second one is the auto-stop script executed at shutdown.
    In my case I have
    S16BubbleUPnPServer -> ../init.d/BubbleUPnPServer (in rc2.d)
    K02BubbleUPnPServer -> ../init.d/BubbleUPnPServer (in rc0.d)
    The prefix S16 or K02 could be different.
  5. Access BubbleUPnP server from a web browse (<ip_raspberry>:58050) and create an OpenHome Renderer

OHRenderer.png
  6. Check that everything works using a controller app

I use Lumin on Ipad, but you might be able to use other OpenHome compatible app.
    In Lumin configuration options (the usual "setting" button") you need to select the OpenHome Renderer that you have just created,
    In "TIDAL settings" you will have to provide your Tidal username and password.

LuminSettings.png
  7. At this point I can browse Tidal and play music on my raspberry

lumin.png

Hi everybody,

I have been streaming Tidal on my Raspberry with Moode for a few years using BubbleUPnPserver

Please note that you will not be able to decode MQA, at least until mpd will provide support for it (which seems unlikely at the moment, given the quick verification I have done on mpd development forum)

2. Move to any folder and download my Java+BubbleUPnP server installation script
    pi@moode31:/tmp $ wget http://www.francescomoretta.com/foto/varie/tidal/BubbleUPnPServer_install.bash

BubbleUPnP should have been configured to start/stop automatically at boot/shutdown of the raspberry.
    You should find two BubbleUPnP server scripts in folders "/etc/rc2.d" and "/etc/rc0.d.
    In my case I have
  5. Access BubbleUPnP server from a web browse (<ip_raspberry>:58050) and create an OpenHome Renderer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32463[/ATTACH]

I use Lumin on Ipad, but you might be able to use other OpenHome compatible app.
    In Lumin configuration options (the usual "setting" button") you need to select the OpenHome Renderer that you have just created,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32464[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32465[/ATTACH]

Hi Franz, thanks for the instructions, I can finish everything up to step 4, and not seeing any error messages, I've also checked that the script for auto start and auto stop are there, but I can't open the website using my RPi 3 IP address and port 58050. Is there anything else that I need to do?

I've also tried to reboot the RPI3 but nothing changed.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Franz, thanks for the instructions, I can finish everything up to step 4, and not seeing any error messages, I've also checked that the script for auto start and auto stop are there, but I can't open the website using my RPi 3 IP address and port 58050. Is there anything else that I need to do?

I've also tried to reboot the RPI3 but nothing changed.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, if BubbleUPnP server does not come up, it could be that something went wrong in the java installation, which is the very first thing done by the installation script.

To check Java, connect to the raspberry using ssh/putty and type "java -version".

Here is what you should get

[b]pi@moode31ny[/b]:[b]~ $[/b] java -version
java version "1.7.0_111"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.7) (7u111-2.6.7-2~deb8u1+rpi1)
OpenJDK Zero VM (build 24.111-b01, interpreted mode)

If java is not installed properly, I'm afraid I cannot be of much help.

You should try manually the first two steps of the script and figure out what is going wrong:

[color=#000000]#Install Java runtime

[/color]sudo apt-get update
[color=#000000]sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre [/color]

If instead java is ok, verify if you can start/stop/check manually BubbleUPnPserver.

Look at the examples below:

[b]pi@moode31ny[/b]:[b]~ $[/b] cd /etc/init.d
[b]pi@moode31ny[/b]:[b]/etc/init.d $[/b] ./BubbleUPnPServer status
Checking BubbleUPnPServer...                      Running
[b]pi@moode31ny[/b]:[b]/etc/init.d $[/b] sudo ./BubbleUPnPServer stop
Stopping BubbleUPnPServer                         Okn[b]pi@moode31ny[/b]:[b]/etc/init.d $[/b] 
Checking BubbleUPnPServer...                      Service not runningn[b]pi@moode31ny[/b]:[b]/etc/init.d $[/b] 
[b]pi@moode31ny[/b]:[b]/etc/init.d $[/b] sudo ./BubbleUPnPServer start
Starting BubbleUPnPServer...                      Okn[b]pi@moode31ny[/b]:[b]/etc/init.d $[/b] 
Checking BubbleUPnPServer...                      Running
[font=Menlo][b]pi@moode31ny[/b][/font][font=Menlo]:[/font][color=#5230E1][font=Menlo][b]/etc/init.d $[/b][/font][/color]

Once BubbleUPnP server is up and running will be able to access it through your browser.

In my case it is

http://192.168.1.5:58050

You should of course change with your IP address.

Let me know how it goes...

OK, I'm back home and with the jetlag, here i am at 4am trying to make this work!

I've now able to open the webpage at port 58050, but I can't seem to get anything when I go to the Media Renderers page - it is showing a blank page, although at the beginning I can see a quick flash of some texts on the right hand side but they then disappears.

I've checked my browser settings (on Java) and tried both Safari and Chrome on my Mac, but i still cannot do anything on that page. The other pages seems okay, only the Media Renderers and Media Servers page are not showing anything when I clicked on the tab headers.

Would appreciate all the helps please...! :)

Thanks Franz, I am now out travelling for a week for work so will give this a try this weekend when I return and let you know the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Just observed an interesting phenomenon...

When I restarted the Server via the web page, and then refreshed my browser, I can see the Media Servers and Renderers page, but only when the Status page is showing nothing, i.e. i can see the Status Page but the network information is still showing blank.

Once that network information and the other information are showing on the Status page, I can no longer go to Media Renderers page!

Strange!!!

Okay - apparently i'm just being silly! I should've turned on the Moode UPNP and then go back to the BubbleUPnPServer Media Renderers...!! Obviously I don't understand this enough!!

All good now, I can see Moode UPnP on the BubbleUPnPServer webpage and got Tidal to work...

Thanks Franz!

Okay - apparently i'm just being silly! I should've turned on the Moode UPNP and then go back to the BubbleUPnPServer Media Renderers...!! Obviously I don't understand this enough!!

All good now, I can see Moode UPnP on the BubbleUPnPServer webpage and got Tidal to work...

Thanks Franz!

Sorry for the late answer... I was away for work too!

I see that you found the issue: thanks for making it clear.

As you pointed out, the pre-requisite for using BuubleUPnPServer as an OpenHome renderer on top of Moode, is that Moode UPnP renderer is enabled (under Configure/Audio) , but this was not explicitly mentioned in my initial post..

So, for example, in my latest configuration under Moode 3.1, I have now named my Moode UPnP renderer as "Moode UPNP 31" and enabled it:

ConfigureAudio.png

And in fact "Moode UPNP 31" is the name shown in Media Renderers tab in BubbleUPnP Server:

OpenHome.png

• 3 weeks later...
Is there no way to do this on Pi without using stupid Bubble? Why can't they just find a way to make it work in Moode/Volumio or whatever without all this extra crap?
A bit more respect for 'stupid Bubble', please, as it is actually getting Moode & Volumio to do something that they can't currently do for themselves, ie, provide TIDAL support via OpenHome Streaming Services.

If you want to use a network audio file player with native support for for TIDAL via OpenHome Streaming Services, why don't you try the official free OpenHome Player for the Raspberry Pi? No (excellent) BubbleUPnP Server helper software required :):

OpenHome Player for Raspberry Pi

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Is there no way to do this on Pi without using stupid Bubble? Why can't they just find a way to make it work in Moode/Volumio or whatever without all this extra crap?

Moode (as well as Volumio and RuneAudio which I both used) are free pieces of software.

They all offer a lot of different functionalities (and quite well imo).

I would have preferred too an integrated implementation....but hey, this one implemented using BubbleUPnP, once installed, works pretty well....and for zero cost!

If you prefer, you could also buy a player such as the Auralic Aries Mini or BlueSound Node2 which provide Tidal integration in their software.

A bit more respect for 'stupid Bubble', please, as it is actually getting Moode & Volumio to do something that they can't currently do for themselves, ie, provide TIDAL support via OpenHome Streaming Services.

If you want to use a network audio file player with native support for for TIDAL via OpenHome Streaming Services, why don't you try the official free OpenHome Player for the Raspberry Pi? No (excellent) BubbleUPnP Server helper software required :):

Apologies. I didn't mean to come across as a grumpy aggressive arse. Sadly I can be from time to time.

• 2 months later...
On 15/01/2017 at 9:00 PM, franz159 said:

Hi everybody,

In my case I have

OHRenderer.png

LuminSettings.png

lumin.png

Hi. My first post here in Computer Audiophile. I was searching alternative ways to stream Tidal to my Raspberry and found this interesting tutorial from Franz.

Well, I can stream Tidal to my PI 3 in a more easier way. I have Bubbleupnp app in my Android phone and I simply choose MOode as a renderer. That's it. No more tweaks and I can stream Tidal to my PI 3. Works very nice. So, what is the advantage to use the method explained by franz? Better sound quality? Sorry if a missing something. I'm very newbie in this Linux/Raspberry world.

Thanks in advance. 

Hi Rodam

No, not better sound quality and it's nothing to do with the "Linux/Raspberry world" and more to do with the advantages of OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) streaming over standard UPnP/DLNA streaming.

The advantage is that the OpenHome renderer created by the BubbleUPnP Server owns the current playlist, meaning that you can close the controller app or even shutdown the device running the controller app and the linked standard UPnP/DLNA renderer (eg MOode) will carry on playing the entire playlist (because it's actually under the control of the BubbleUPnP Server acting as the go between).

Additionally, as far as TIDAL is concerned, the BubbleUPnP Server will be proxying the TIDAL audio file streams on the device its running on (eg computer, NAS, etc), rather than the BubbleUPnP app running on the Android device - so far less battery drain on the Android device.

BTW, a far less (technically) complicated method if it's just TIDAL playback on Raspberry Pi that's required would be to install the native OpenHome renderer with native TIDAL access, I mentioned above: OpenHome.org's OpenHome Player - no need to use a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer like MoOde nor have the BubbleUPnP Server for OpenHome emulation:

On 18/02/2017 at 3:41 PM, Cebolla said:

Since the OpenHome Player natively supports TIDAL, it accesses the TIDAL online servers directly, meaning that it doesn't require proxying of the TIDAL audio file streams, as provided by the BubbleUPnP Server and the BubbleUPnP Android app when providing TIDAL support for standard UPnP/DLNA renderers.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

55 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Hi Rodam

No, not better sound quality and it's nothing to do with the "Linux/Raspberry world" and more to do with the advantages of OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) streaming over standard UPnP/DLNA streaming.

The advantage is that the OpenHome renderer created by the BubbleUPnP Server owns the current playlist, meaning that you can close the controller app or even shutdown the device running the controller app and the linked standard UPnP/DLNA renderer (eg MOode) will carry on playing the entire playlist (because it's actually under the control of the BubbleUPnP Server acting as the go between).

Additionally, as far as TIDAL is concerned, the BubbleUPnP Server will be proxying the TIDAL audio file streams on the device its running on (eg computer, NAS, etc), rather than the BubbleUPnP app running on the Android device - so far less battery drain on the Android device.

BTW, a far less (technically) complicated method if it's just TIDAL playback on Raspberry Pi that's required would be to install the native OpenHome renderer with native TIDAL access, I mentioned above: OpenHome.org's OpenHome Player - no need to use a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer like MoOde nor have the BubbleUPnP Server for OpenHome emulation:

Since the OpenHome Player natively supports TIDAL, it accesses the TIDAL online servers directly, meaning that it doesn't require proxying of the TIDAL audio file streams, as provided by the BubbleUPnP Server and the BubbleUPnP Android app when providing TIDAL support for standard UPnP/DLNA renderers.

John

Hi John, 

Thank you very much. I think I understood everything you said except "proxying of the TIDAL audio file streams" . What does it mean? BTW, is there any conversion or transcoding of the original audio file when using Bubble app or server to stream Tidal?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On April 30, 2017 at 11:35 PM, Cebolla said:

Hi Rodam

John

If I could only install Openhome on my rpi3! I follow the instructions but no go. Maybe it needs to have specific version of Jessie?