IGNORED

Devices not accessible from new switch

I am no expert in networking, as the following question will probably reveal, but I am stuck.

For some time I have been using an Apple Airport Extreme as a switch (bridged mode) in my audio rack; the AAE is connected to a cable from the router in the basement, feeding three devices. Now I need more connections. So I bought a switch, TrendNet TEG SE50g. I ran an ethernet cable from the AAE to the new switch and connected three devices to it.

The front panel lights on the SE50g indicate that the connections are active, at the speeds I expect. I can ping the switch. The three devices connected to the new switch do not show up in Fing (on my iPad), nor can they be accessed in other ways (by logging in from a web browser, for instance). FWIW, the two devices connected directly to the AAE are working properly, and I can ping the AAE.

Suggestions?

Can you sketch out how this is all connected? Why is the AAE in bridged mode? Usually the Cable or DSL modem would be bridged or routed mode.

If Cable/DSL is in bridged mode the AAE would be in routed mode. If Cable/DSL is configured as a router the AAE would be configured in Access Point mode and in AP mode nothing connected on it's WAN port.

Thank you, plissken. There is a box thing in the basement where Verizon FIOS comes into the house. From there an ethernet cable goes to an Actiontec router (supplied by Verizon). The router handles all the DHCP addressing etc. From the router a cable goes up to the listening room. I turned off DHCP in the Airport Extreme since I don't want it assigning addresses; that's what I mean by bridged mode (maybe I'm using the wrong term).

I have had the cable coming out of the wall plugged into the AE ever since I bought it and it has worked correctly (and continues to do so with the two components plugged into the AE). It's just that the components plugged into the new/additional switch aren't found on the network.

Thank you, plissken. There is a box thing in the basement where Verizon FIOS comes into the house. From there an ethernet cable goes to an Actiontec router (supplied by Verizon). The router handles all the DHCP addressing etc. From the router a cable goes up to the listening room. I turned off DHCP in the Airport Extreme since I don't want it assigning addresses; that's what I mean by bridged mode (maybe I'm using the wrong term).

I have had the cable coming out of the wall plugged into the AE ever since I bought it and it has worked correctly (and continues to do so with the two components plugged into the AE). It's just that the components plugged into the new/additional switch aren't found on the network.

Try putting the switch in front of the AE. That switch is a "Green" product that reduces power on "perceived" use of a port. Any way to check that full power going to each port? If you have another switch to try swap it out.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBT->iFi xDSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: Squeeze Commander (DroidX) & iPeng (iPad Air); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: Sony NWZ_ZX1 & ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  Wish List: New DAC,  SBT replacement; Dream system: Linn EXACT or ATC Active or Big Tubes (KR or Nagra or Shindo or ...)

My goal is to use appliances and take home PC out of the chain...

Try putting the switch in front of the AE.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Any way to check that full power going to each port?

Not as far as I know. Two of the devices are 100Mb and one is 1000Mb. The lights on the front panel display as they should in this situation, two amber and one green. So the switch has that much figured out correctly.

I tried jcbenten's suggestion. Result: no internet access to the devices plugged into the AE.

I logged into the Verizon router and tried to ping the TrendNet switch and things connected to it; unsuccessful. But I can ping the switch from Fing on my iPad. This is probably a clue as to what's going on but I am not sure how to interpret it.

While I was logged into the router, I looked at the firewall settings but did not see anything that seemed relevant.

Another thing to check - make sure that your ethernet cable from the Verizon router is plugged in the WAN on AE and switch is off one of the top(LAN) ports.

my > overly > fancy > system > with > directional > interconnects > powered > by > ego & linear fusion reactor

If the Actiontec has something like its own 4 port switch I would go from Actiontec to Trendnet and Actiontec to LAN port on the Airport. The Airport WAN connection should not be used.

The Airport should be configured for Wireless Access Point mode (not sure if it's a configuration option on them).

Another thing to check - make sure that your ethernet cable from the Verizon router is plugged in the WAN on AE and switch is off one of the top(LAN) ports.

According the the OP's reply the Actiontec is the router. No wan ports should be used on any other device.

I've had AE with other router(s) and non-managed 24-port switch in multiple configuration. Yes, it might work as you describe in #8. Still if AE is in bridged mode and you do not want to waste a port, I'd use WAN port as incoming from DHCP and bridging all other ports with the rest of the network.

my > overly > fancy > system > with > directional > interconnects > powered > by > ego & linear fusion reactor

I've had AE with other router(s) and non-managed 24-port switch in multiple configuration. Yes, it might work as you describe in #8. Still if AE is in bridged mode and you do not want to waste a port, I'd use WAN port as incoming from DHCP and bridging all other ports with the rest of the network.

Cable modems will work in either routed or bridged mode. As far as I'm aware consumer wireless routers either act in routed or WAP mode. In WAP mode you lose use of the WAN port in the devices I've had.

My description in post 8, barring really messed up configuration on the AE, will most assuredly work.

It's working now! Jcbenten's suggestion to put the new switch in front of the airport extreme was the main solution. But it was necessary to put the cable from the new switch into the port labeled WAN on the airport extreme, as Bikutoru suggested. I forgot that older switches are fussier about such things than are newer ones, where you can usually plug the network cable into any of the outlets. Thanks for all the help!

It's working now! Jcbenten's suggestion to put the new switch in front of the airport extreme was the main solution. But it was necessary to put the cable from the new switch into the port labeled WAN on the airport extreme, as Bikutoru suggested. I forgot that older switches are fussier about such things than are newer ones, where you can usually plug the network cable into any of the outlets. Thanks for all the help!

So you are going from Actiontec LAN port to the Trendnet Switch to the WAN port on the AE? What's on the LAN ports of the AE?

I'm glad we were able to help. I have tried so many different configuration with my network, which involves AE and other switches, routers, that I'm pretty sure I could help. In my previous life many years ago I use to be a system/network admin.

To explain why a WAN port has to be utilised, the best I can do, is to mention that AE is not an unmanaged switch. It is a managed router, if it is in bridged mode, it becomes a managed switch and WAN port is utilised as an uplink. It doesn't matter what port to connect to, only in unmanaged switch configuration.

I'm glad we were able to help. I have tried so many different configuration with my network, which involves AE and other switches, routers, that I'm pretty sure I could help. In my previous life many years ago I use to be a system/network admin.

To explain why a WAN port has to be utilised, the best I can do, is to mention that AE is not an unmanaged switch. It is a managed router, if it is in bridged mode, it becomes a managed switch and WAN port is utilised as an uplink. It doesn't matter what port to connect to, only in unmanaged switch configuration.

Ok. Like I said I've not used the AE. I like that Apple converts the WAN to LAN when you change modes. In the Belkin, D-Link etc.... they have a WAP or Router mode. On the Belkin, if I recall correctly, you didn't use the WAN port if configured for WAP operation.

I have a new D-Link that I will test out on that I'm using for a WAP. Essentially the AE is a down stream switch now.

Glad you have it running. Your network setup is similar to mine except I have the AE as an endpoint and setup to be a wireless Access Point. I run cable company provided modem to my router (R7000) and long cable run to an 8-port switch with several connections including the AE. My thought process was to minimize connects back to the router and not to go further downstream utilizing the ports of the AE. I only want the wireless access. I seem to recall, and it has been several years since using the Apple setup software, that the AE can be set up bridge or as an AP. Since the whole point of the e-cable run was the weak signal in that part of the house, Bridged was not going to work very well.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBT->iFi xDSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: Squeeze Commander (DroidX) & iPeng (iPad Air); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: Sony NWZ_ZX1 & ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  Wish List: New DAC,  SBT replacement; Dream system: Linn EXACT or ATC Active or Big Tubes (KR or Nagra or Shindo or ...)

My goal is to use appliances and take home PC out of the chain...