IGNORED

Ayre QB9 Does Double DSD

Just wanted everyone to know that I got my Ayre QB9 DSD upgraded to Double DSD today :)

IMG_0429.jpg

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

Interesting. How?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Ayre started to update the QB9 to Double DSD. I was the first. You will have to contact them for details.

Dave

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

Ayre started to update the QB9 to Double DSD. I was the first. You will have to contact them for details.

Dave

OK, thanks for the reply. Just curious really, I assume you had to send the unit in? How long did it take? Thanks again.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I live 40 miles from Ayre, so I took it there. It took 3 days.

Dave

I live 40 miles from Ayre, so I took it there. It took 3 days.

Dave

Sorry, one more question then I promise to leave you alone. Double DSD still uses DOP, correct? The QB9 doesn't do native DSD, I believe.

Thanks,

Bob

DOP is just a way to deliver DSD to a DAC. So yes the QB9 does do native DSD.

The original idea for DoP was invented by dCS in 2011. It involves taking groups of 16 adjacent 1-bit samples from a DSD stream and packing them into the lower 16 bits of a 24/176.4 data stream. Data from the other channel of the stereo pair is packed the same way. A specific marker code in the top 8 bits identifies the data stream as DoP, rather than PCM. The resulting DoP stream can be transmitted through existing 24/192-capable USB, AES, Dual AES or SPDIF interfaces to a DoP-compatible DAC, which reassembles the original stereo DSD data stream COMPLETELY UNCHANGED.

Dave

Any other changes included in this upgrade? What was the cost?

I just checked and the DAC now also does 352 and 384.

The cost is $200 is you have the QB9DSD.

Dave

Just wanted everyone to know that I got my Ayre QB9 DSD upgraded to Double DSD today :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32365[/ATTACH]

That's surprising given that the QB-9 is now discontinued. I think I'll save my $200 for more PCM titles tho'. I barely have any DSD 64 and can't think of a single higher rate DSD title that I would like to listen to.

Thanks for the info, tho'.

I was hoping Ayre would announce a new integrated amp to replace the AX-7 at CES. Haven't been able to find any info.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

That's surprising given that the QB-9 is now discontinued. I think I'll save my $200 for more PCM titles tho'. I barely have any DSD 64 and can't think of a single higher rate DSD title that I would like to listen to.

I kinda feel the same, I only have three DSD recordings (all classical). Even with the 15% discounts at NativeDSD, I can't afford DSD64 let alone DSD128. There are downsides to retirement...

Interesting. Good to see that Ayre is willing to keep it's promise, even when the QB-9 is retired.

Nothing on the website yet. Is the update software only?

Please email Ayre with any question about the update.

It's a small hardware change Ayre told me. I'm considering the upgrade... I guess a new Ayre dac between Codex and QX-5 will surface in time, but it will take at least another 6 months. Untill then I can play around with double dsd and when I want to sell the QB-9, it's in the best shape a buyer could want. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jonny,

Other SQ improvements than having the benefits of higher PCM and DSD rates I'm not aware of. The information I have doesn't suggest that. Can't tell you much more about it, as I don't have the upgrade yet. I ordered it, but it will take another two or three weeks I guess before the upgrade is implemented.

If you're upsampling Tidal - using f.e. HQ-player or Roon - to these higher sample rates you will be able to benefit from the upgrade, and you might find it an improvement.

Marc