IGNORED

All in one music server

I am currently using a Liv Zen music streamer/server/ripper.

It will not play music from a USB stick/drive; it all has to be imported to the server.

Are there any devices like this, that will play files, directly from a USB stick/drive?

Also, as I am ripping some SACD's, the ISO file will play in Foobar, and other players, but not on my server.

Is there a machine that will combine all these features, and still be affordable, ie, less than £2000?

It will not play music from a USB stick/drive; it all has to be imported to the server.

Are there any devices like this, that will play files, directly from a USB stick/drive?

Also, as I am ripping some SACD's, the ISO file will play in Foobar, and other players, but not on my server.

Is there a machine that will combine all these features, and still be affordable, ie, less than £2000?

In budget, a used Bryston BDP 1/2 should do some of what you want.

I don't think will play ISOs though, you will need to convert to .dsf/.dff files first.

My PC-based server running JRiver does all that.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Can I build an audio only music streamer/server/ripper, silent, in budget?

Are you doing this, on a Windows based computer, or something like Vortexbox?

My compact server is a MacMini running BootCamp/Win7 so that I can run the Win version of JRiver. Output to one or another DAC or to a prepro. File input from my NAS but an external HD is possible if it is quiet enough.

This is only one possibility of many which you can find here.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile