IGNORED

MQA and Cables

I think MQA and Cable discussions are the same threads with different titles.

Let us postulate that 50% (1) of our readership believes that cables can influence sound quality (SQ).

The other 50% do not believe that there is a SQ difference between cable A and cable B.

There are endless discussions regarding cables. There is no resolution to the cable debate because there is no way that any population is going to hear the same music the same way.

Now comes MQA.

Perhaps 50% of the audiophile population believes SQ improves with the product and 50% believe that MQA is a Digital Rights Management (DRM) plot with little or no improvement to digital audio.

Again, there is no resolution because there is no way to reach a consensus.

I do not believe there is any method to determine if any well made audio product or equipment makes any difference at all. All evaluation is personal taste, the same reviewer may hear different things each time he/she listens to any recording or product. Two people will hear or not hear musical artifacts four different ways in any reasonable time period. Each and every recording will be "different" the only possible end state is that each individual will arrive at the system and software that works - but mostly works for the individual consumer.

I believe our time would be better served in promoting high quality recordings and source material. The recording is the foundation of our enjoyment. Why concentrate on any software, if we have to listen to overly compressed, loud, poorly recorded music.

(1) Percentages are for discussion only.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

It is a thread for your careful consideration.

Well, "the industry" defiantly points the other way when it comes to MQA SQ - that it is not subtle or controversial as when it comes to cables - cables at least after the "competently designed, executed, and matched" price point (excluding "lamp cord" here). I think you are suggesting the audiophile ignore all strong claims (by the audiophile press, streaming and content services, manufacturers of MQA enabled equipment, etc.) and resign ourselves that it is a subtle SQ tweak for some, nothing at all to others.

I would only say that MQA/press/industry is not really allowing this option in that they have "hyped" it to such a degree that such a response is not really allowed - the in your face "birth of a new world" push means that the claims will be critiqued with an commensurate level of scrutiny. To put it another way, they took the "nuclear option", and no one should be surprised that there would be a similar reaction from the targeted consumers...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

So this is a thread for MQA and cable "believers"?

Might as well add measurement into this as well.

And then you have nothing but those that actually just enjoy music regardless of the format the cable and or the measurements.

The Truth Is Out There

Might as well add measurement into this as well.

And then you have nothing but those that actually just enjoy music regardless of the format the cable and or the measurements.

I even don't know what there may be measured specially for MQA :-)

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature